Whirlwind

Msboop15
Msboop15 Member Posts: 83 Member

The next 10 days are going to be a whirlwind.

I had a liver resection in February and in March a PET scan showed a liver met that wasn’t there 30 days before. The plan was to see what 4 rounds of Folfox & Avastin would do to the new tumor. Unfortunately, I did not tolerate the oxalyplatin so for session 4 it was Xeloda & Avastin. Within seven days of starting the xeloda I had hand/foot syndrome so bad that I was going to have to start crawling to the bathroom. So, off xeloda. 

I had a CT scan the week after I stopped the xeloda.  Even though I haven’t completed a full four rounds of chemo the tumor had shrunk by 60%.

The oncologist set me up with a wonderful surgeon who explained that even though the tumor was quite small it had wrapped itself around the main vein to the right lobe so we were going to have to remove the right lobe and the gallbladder because it’s in the way. 

Anyway, pending the results of a PET scan on 6/17 I will have a liver resection on 6/24. The prayer is nothing new shows up in the PET. 

Right now the part I dread the most is the long recovery. Since a lot of you have been through this I thought maybe you might have some insight and or tips… Maybe some of those things that you find yourself thinking “Gee, I wish I would’ve known that before” or things you learned along the way. 

Mojo said she starting to feel like her self at four months so that is my goal… I keep focusing on the month of October. Hate to wish my life away but so want to feel like me again. 

As an aside, my oncologist has said that I am chemo intolerant. Good news because I don’t see me ever doing chemo again.  The surgeon mentioned that my extreme sensitivity to the chemo may have worked in my favor as far as shrinking the tumor. Of course I don’t really see that as a major benefit since they got to take the right lobe anyway but I do understand what he saying and they like to be assured chemo works. 

Thanks for for always being there. Lots of wisdom and insight on this site. 

Elaine

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Wishing you the best

I ended up having a Liver Ablation, so I cannot help you with recovery information. What I can do, is pray, pray, pray and send all the good wishes and vibes I can on the 24th and beyond. Actually, lets start now, so that you don't get yourself overly stressed as you wait for the 24th to arrive. 

Just go into it knowing it will work, and move on from there.  Don't be doing the 'what ifs' just think all WILL be well.  Being negative and stressing won't change anything - yet I do know how hard it is not stressing.  

So, roll on the 24th, and then keep coming here while you recover, so we can keep cheering you on. 

Tru

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

I had a liver resection plus the Pump. I was able to walk at the same day after the survey very slow with the nurse next to me the same night. Driving as soon as off narcotics. The energy returned in a month. I live by myself and was able to take a shower, do laundry, put dishes in a dishwashing machine right after the hospital stay that was 5 days. Get protein shakes, protein powder you will need a lot of it. Nutrition stores sell powdered broth that has protein and very good for healing because I think it has collagen. As strange as it may sound, i didn t find that surgery hard and the liver grew back in 6 Weeks. Butt.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Surgery

I'm not able to give you any help with the surgery advice but can just let you know you will be in my prayers for a successful surgery and fast recovery.  Wishing you the best and please let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able.  There are more that will chime in to help you with your questions.

Kim

• mojogirl67
    mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306
    Walk, Walk, and Walk

Walking and moving really make a difference. I had the whole right lobe, my gallbladder and part of the colon removed at the same time. Having both resections in one surgery was a lot but I'm so glad I got it over with in one surgery. I had the colon trying to heal and the liver so it took a little time for all the parts to start working together, lol. Butt is right about the protein for healing your liver. I mentioned the body pillow to you. That made a huge difference for me when I was trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in. I had a wound vac over my incision which helped it to heal quickly but I was relieved when it came off. Walking and moving really make a difference. You are going to do great. Wishing you the best! ...Hugs, M

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    Lots of prayers being sent

Lots of prayers being sent your way. 

• Msboop15
    Thank you!

Both the oncologist & surgeon have said the recovery is really tough.  

Butt, thanks for laying out your experience...that was helpful.  If my experience goes as smoothly as yours did, I’m sure I’ll be fine. Mojo & the surgeon mentioned protein so I’m stocking up. 

Mojo, thanks for all of your insight and support. A body pillow is on my list of “to-do” this week. 

Tru, Kim & Sandy thank you so much for your support & prayers.

Although I don’t post a lot, this forum has been a lifeline because of people like all of you. 

Elaine

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    I find

that if you go into something thinking that......    whatever, then it will happen.  So I TRY to go into things thinking as positive as I can, knowing that it might not pan out that way

So, go into surgery thinking that YOUR recovery time will be doable. If you go into it thinking its going to be awful (or really tough), it will be. But if you go in thinking it will be doable, then it will either be doable or awful. Take the doable first. 

We all know its not going to be a bed of roses, but you can still think yourself into it being rough if that is all you expect. 

Hope that made sense or maybe I'm just rattling on.

Tru

• Msboop15
    Trubrit said:

I find

that if you go into something thinking that......    whatever, then it will happen.  So I TRY to go into things thinking as positive as I can, knowing that it might not pan out that way

So, go into surgery thinking that YOUR recovery time will be doable. If you go into it thinking its going to be awful (or really tough), it will be. But if you go in thinking it will be doable, then it will either be doable or awful. Take the doable first. 

We all know its not going to be a bed of roses, but you can still think yourself into it being rough if that is all you expect. 

Hope that made sense or maybe I'm just rattling on.

Tru

Thank you!

You make perfect sense!  Yes, positive thoughts can make a huge difference... sure I might get disappointed but I’d rather go into it thinking that all is going to go well. That was why I was so pleased to see what Butt wrote... at this point I’m going to choose to believe that my recovery goes as well as his did. No reason not to believe that. 

Docs also told me I’d be in the hospital 5-6 days but on another post Abita said she was only in the hospital 3 1/2 days so now I’m thinking I may get out sooner than I thought. Again, might actually be there 5-6 days but can’t hurt to think I might get out sooner. 

Thank you Tru for the all the wisdom and kindness you share.

Elaine

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Msboop15 said:

Thank you!

You make perfect sense!  Yes, positive thoughts can make a huge difference... sure I might get disappointed but I’d rather go into it thinking that all is going to go well. That was why I was so pleased to see what Butt wrote... at this point I’m going to choose to believe that my recovery goes as well as his did. No reason not to believe that. 

Docs also told me I’d be in the hospital 5-6 days but on another post Abita said she was only in the hospital 3 1/2 days so now I’m thinking I may get out sooner than I thought. Again, might actually be there 5-6 days but can’t hurt to think I might get out sooner. 

Thank you Tru for the all the wisdom and kindness you share.

Elaine

Thinking of you today

Praying that you got good news from the PET scan results!

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Sending love and strength to

Sending love and strength to you for a good scan.

k

• mojogirl67
    mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306
    Sending Good Thoughts Your Way Today

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers today and pray for good results from your scan. Wishing you the best!!  Hugs, M