Hair Loss

debsue420
debsue420 Member Posts: 7

Hi Everyone, This is my first post. Have had 4 chemos. The last one was 2 wks ago & started the Taxol & Caboplatin. Have 3 more Chemos coming up  every 3 wks.Today brushing my hair, twice, with lots of hair coming out on the brush. Guess this is the beginning of hair loss. Not worried about hair loss, it'll grow back.Have Stage 3 Uterine Cancer. My profile explains all. Just wanted to post & share with someone that'll understand.Wishing Good Luck to all in their fight against Cancer & into Remission.

Comments

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited June 2019 #2
    Welcome to the board! There

Welcome to the board! There are ladies here with every type of uterine cancer and probably have as much knowledge as some of our doctors. I have UPSC, Stage II, Grade 3. In September, I will be four years NED (No Evidence of Disease). There is a light at the end of this awful tunnel! 

Love,

Eldri

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    No sweat

Although losing your hair is quite traumatic you’ll find after a while it’s kinda nice not having to fuss with it for a while. Mine came back even better than before. When someone compliments my hair, I always say, “ It’s just nice to have hair!”  Hang in there baby!  We’ve got your back. 

• whitby2773
    whitby2773 Member Posts: 27
    When your chemo is finished,

When your chemo is finished, and after getting the go ahead from your drs, take the opportunity to get a kick-arse tattoo across your scalp!  If you're not into tattoos, your hair will cover it up.  But you'll always know you're a bad arse and a fighter.  :)

Wishing you all the best in your treatments, and a full and fast run into remission!

• debsue420
    edited June 2019 #5
    Staying positive

Thanks everyone for the support. Will be a survivor & will think about the head tattoo. Keep the faith.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    So glad you found us, Debsue.

I look forward to getting to know you.  Thanks for filling out an About Me page. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited June 2019 #7
    debsue, as Connie said, glad

debsue, as Connie said, glad you found us.  Please don't hesitate to ask anything, and when you are having a bad day and want to vent, we are here for that as well.  

• debsue420
    Cut if off

2 days ago ther hair was falling out like a cat shedding. So last night my Sweetest Hubby cut it down to about a 1/4 inch. Tonight he'll use a comb/scissors & cut it as low as he can. Think this was harder for him than me cause he thought I'd be upset but I wasn't. Knew this was part of the process so was ready. Got some scarves, hats & even a wig..so bring it on. To be honest am hoping I'll keep the lashes & eyebrows, that will be harder. But it is what is. Keep the Faith

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    debsue420 said:

Cut if off

2 days ago ther hair was falling out like a cat shedding. So last night my Sweetest Hubby cut it down to about a 1/4 inch. Tonight he'll use a comb/scissors & cut it as low as he can. Think this was harder for him than me cause he thought I'd be upset but I wasn't. Knew this was part of the process so was ready. Got some scarves, hats & even a wig..so bring it on. To be honest am hoping I'll keep the lashes & eyebrows, that will be harder. But it is what is. Keep the Faith

You are right.

The lashes and eyebrows were harder for me. Luckily they came out farther along and returned faster. Actually they really only thinned so a bit of eyebrow powder helped a lot. Surprisingly the loss of nose hair was most annoying. 

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Eyelashes

I was okay with losing my hair – it was never that great to begin with and I had worn hats and wigs for years before. But I hated losing my eyelashes. Not only did I feel it really made me look like I was sick, but I hadn't realized how much crap they kept out of your eyes until they were gone. I even tried false eyelashes for a couple of special events during that period. But without my own eyelashes to use as a guide, I couldn't get them positioned correctly. However, as others have said, the lashes fell out much later than my hair and grew back first.

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    But

the hair on my armpits and legs hardly need to be shaved now. Hair did not grow back. 

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member

But

the hair on my armpits and legs hardly need to be shaved now. Hair did not grow back. 

Me too!

I thought I just got lucky by switching to Taxotere, but maybe it was the Megace since we have that in common? I've been off of it 9 months now, though, and still no armpit or much leg hair.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Hair loss all over

It's been about 2 years since my last chemo and the hair on my body has never grown back like it was. I rarely need to shave my arm pits or legs. Unfortunately my head hair, which was thin to start with, also grew back very sparsely. I had been hoping for different hair like some women got after treatment, but what came back is exactly the same color and texture as before, just a way lot less.

• evolo58
    evolo58 Member Posts: 293 Member
    cmb said:

Eyelashes

I was okay with losing my hair – it was never that great to begin with and I had worn hats and wigs for years before. But I hated losing my eyelashes. Not only did I feel it really made me look like I was sick, but I hadn't realized how much crap they kept out of your eyes until they were gone. I even tried false eyelashes for a couple of special events during that period. But without my own eyelashes to use as a guide, I couldn't get them positioned correctly. However, as others have said, the lashes fell out much later than my hair and grew back first.

I always had very short eyelashes

For years, I thought it a curse. But since they were so short to begin with, it was not as noticable when they fell out.

The brows bothered me the most. One thing now, though, is that I can apply brow pencil like a boss if need be. I rarely wear makeup, so I thought that amusing. 

My chin hairs, however, were among the first to grow in once the hair fell out. Gee. Thanks. 

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Welcome, DebSue

You'll find so much support here.  My husband helped me cut my hair as well, and though it was unnerving and HOT to wear a wig in south Texas in the summer, I got used to it.  Like CMB, my hair was thin to begin with and came back exactly the same color and texture but thinner.  I'm grateful to have it though.  And I have to say, the feel of a shower on my bald head was luxurious.  Best wishes as you continue treatment.  It's do-able!!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited June 2019 #16

But

Same for me, but I wish chin

Same for me, but I wish chin hairs were still gone!

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    After treatment my hair grew

After treatment my hair grew back normally, except it's a bit thicker and a little curly. Per my Dr recommendation I added super B complex to my supplements and that may have helped as well.

• Quilter_1
    Quilter_1 Member Posts: 117 Member
    For me, losing my hair was

For me, losing my hair was devastating.  I felt like it took away my appearance of wellbeing.  I always wore a slouchy hat in the house and never left the house without my wig, the only person who saw me without a head covering was my white knight of a husband.  I finished up chemo March 5 and today I have a scant inch of gray hair.  As soon as it is long enough, my hairdresser and long time friend is going to color it back to my luxurious brown, again.  We all react differently, I don’t think there is a wrong reaction.  Hang in there.  

PS:  I have a class reunion October 5, I hope to be rocking a cute, fringy pixie cut by then.

• Mary929
    Mary929 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2019 #19
    My Mom is losing her hair too

My mother is wondering if any of you have used products that help with the Follicle pain that comes along with losing her hair. Are there certain lotions or hair conditioners you'd recommend?

Thanks for your help ,

Laughing

Mary's Daughter

• Quilter_1
    Quilter_1 Member Posts: 117 Member
    Mary929 said:

My Mom is losing her hair too

My mother is wondering if any of you have used products that help with the Follicle pain that comes along with losing her hair. Are there certain lotions or hair conditioners you'd recommend?

Thanks for your help ,

Laughing

Mary's Daughter

I didn’t have pain, but, I

I didn’t have pain, but, I had itching.  I used otc hydrocortisone cream.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    Quilter_1 said:

For me, losing my hair was

For me, losing my hair was devastating.  I felt like it took away my appearance of wellbeing.  I always wore a slouchy hat in the house and never left the house without my wig, the only person who saw me without a head covering was my white knight of a husband.  I finished up chemo March 5 and today I have a scant inch of gray hair.  As soon as it is long enough, my hairdresser and long time friend is going to color it back to my luxurious brown, again.  We all react differently, I don’t think there is a wrong reaction.  Hang in there.  

PS:  I have a class reunion October 5, I hope to be rocking a cute, fringy pixie cut by then.

Hi Quilter_1

Losing my hair was the worst for me because I only told my closest friends and family about my cancer. During treatment I was too emotionally fragile to handle much interaction with people outside my circle so it was very difficult for me to risk encountering "friends" when I felt well enough to go out. My hair started to grow back around Christmas and I have only needed one haircut since then to even it out. It is still very short and very white with a small amount of gray and is pretty much the same thickness and texture. I have decided to continue with the short hair as so many people like it (I keep thinking they are humoring the lady with the cancer) and as it is so easy to care for, unlike my old hair which needed cutting and dying once a month. 

On a sadder note, it seems like I am being surrounded with an epidemic of cancer, a friend's two year old grandchild with a rare sarcoma, two friend's husbands and a female friend all have been diagnosed in a row. One husband has stage IV rare sarcoma, the other a stage IV prostate, my friend a stage III breast cancer. None of us except the baby are young, but this seems ridiculous. 

Denise