Pending biopsy results- very scared.

Nmcgill9
Nmcgill9 Member Posts: 2

Hello all,

i am am overwhelmed with the support on this page and am hoping someone can provide some feedback and encouragement for my current situation. I am a 27 year old only child to my wonderful parents.

My mother, my best friend, my everything is pending her biopsy results for potential lung cancer. She has had a cough for six months that just never went away. Every month she was at the allergist, ENT, primary care and nobody was concerned for more than allergies or GERD. Fast forward to two weeks ago, her x ray indicated fluid in the lung. We proceeded with a CT that presumed there was amass in the right lung infiltrating the bronchial tube with possibility of a liver lesion. 

The pet scan came next and we received the results Tuesday. It was devastating. Her cough turned into what appeared to be metastatic disease. The results indicated a large mass in the right lung into the windpipes and surrounding nodes with possibility of modules in the left lung. There also was evidence of two spots on the liver, pelvis spots, and a spot on the femur. The pulmonologist is in a sit and wait type of mood and I feel my mother is not his priority. She is terrified and after reading on the internet fears her time is short. We get the results Tuesday of the biopsy (they are doing the liver and not the lung?) 

SUV uptake is high is all the above mentioned areas, over 2.5 which is scaring me a lot.

ive already contacted MD Anderson so when we have the final diagnosis, we can try to be a patient there and save her life. She is devastated and scared. Only 61, has never smoked, and is the pillar of our family. 

Any encouraging news or comments are appreciated during the time. I wish you all the best and blessings. 

Comments

• justbeingmebc
    justbeingmebc Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2019 #2
    I am so sorry to hear this.

I am so sorry to hear this. First off this is an amazing community of people. It is kind of tough in the medical world. Having an advocate or being your own health advocate is very important. This doesnt sound like the wait and see type of thing to me but I am not a dr. Prayers for you!! Maybe get on the drs. I am someone who needs to have a good rapport with my dr's. It took me 5 years to find an MD. Maybe try switching. Prayers to you

• Nmcgill9
    Nmcgill9 Member Posts: 2

I am so sorry to hear this.

I am so sorry to hear this. First off this is an amazing community of people. It is kind of tough in the medical world. Having an advocate or being your own health advocate is very important. This doesnt sound like the wait and see type of thing to me but I am not a dr. Prayers for you!! Maybe get on the drs. I am someone who needs to have a good rapport with my dr's. It took me 5 years to find an MD. Maybe try switching. Prayers to you

Thanks again for your support

Thanks again for your support. The waiting is agonizing!

• jorola
    jorola Member Posts: 243 Member
    I am sorry, the wait is horrible. Does she have the results now?

but the wait is necessary. The biopsy is everything. It confirms if it is cancer, the type and stage as well. From there doctors can develop a treatment plan. Truly nothing can be done until then as depending on the type a specific type of chemo or immunotherapy drug will be needed.

I am hoping by now you got the results and that treatment plan is now in place.

• CindyAM1950
    CindyAM1950 Member Posts: 3
    Waiting for Results

Run don't walk and get a second opinion.  I am going thru this myself so I can't be objective to these doctor.  

• vrsecond
    vrsecond Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2019 #6
    From NORMAL chest xray to large mass after CT with dye HOW?

New here. I have survived breast cancer 2013 (lumpectomy, balloon radiation, no chemo, Arimidex 5 yrs) then lower right leg melanoma in 2018 (surgery to remove and sentinel lymph node biopsy was clear for right groin)  I am here because on or about 4/23/2018 I elt I hit the wall was severely fatigued, weak, felt like possible cold flu bronchitis saw PCP he gave me antiobiotics I still felt horrible saw ENT who said go to ER get a HEAD Ct maybe brain tumor. ER did head CT normal, chest xray allegedly normal abnormal blood high monocytes low MPV high MCHC low CO2 low sodium, some abnormal urine, discharged with diagnosis of "fatigue". 2019 neck lump ENT could not feel it had CT neck with dye he says just salivary gland, urologist blood in urine (microscopic) he said bladder and kidneys are fine (just a cytoscope) as for blood well its just going to be there, various xrays cts skeletal issues abnormal blood urine enlarge liver (old pcp said jsut fatty liver watch diet no big deal NO ADDITIONAl liver tests or biopsies.  Most recent May 2019 chest xray abnormal suspected carcinoma ct suggested had CT CHEST with dye 5/10/2019 abnormal says lobular mass hilar mediastinum a whole bunch of greek sounding stuff to be PCP said need to see an oncologist.  A) I wish the radiolgy reports would read in plain English......I am SCARED----yes smoker, bouts of bronchitis back pain abdomen pain etc former PCP NEVER ordered chest xray despite my past but the ER and the ENT to me is odd was something missed or too small to see one year ago or grew/came up that fast? I am scared yes too much thinking I know just get the onco appt have the dr. tell me what it is...BUT therein lies the problem how can I trust any doctor when thy have been telling me for over a year everything is "NORMAL" until just the last few weeks, I wonder........thanks

• jorola
    jorola Member Posts: 243 Member
    There could be many factors

I am sorry you are possibly faced with this fight again but you know that a biospy is need to confirm if the mass is cancerous. So step by step - first confirm the mass is even cancerous. If, and hoping not, it is cancerous, the only person to answer those questions is the oncologist.