Passing urine 1 month after surgery

Michael1956
Michael1956 Member Posts: 4 Member

Hello to all. I'm a new poster although I joined a month before my surgery which was last month. On April 25th I had a 5 x 4.5 x 3.5 tumor removed by partial nephrectomy on my right kidney. It was a clear cell RCC. The pathology report, which I don't have with me right now, indicated that it was fully removed with clear margins. No indication of spread. Outside of developing an ileus which kept me in the hospital for 9 days, I feel my recovery has been fairly normal. That is until today almost exactly 1 month after surgery. Today I noticed blood in my urine. Not bright red but enough to turn it pink. That hasn't happened to me before. I talked to my surgeons nurse who is going to ask the doctor about it but she said it is not uncommun. Part of the healing process. It might come and go As time goes on. I'm waiting to see what the dr says.

In the meantime, has anyone else experienced this?

Prayers to all.

Comments

• citizenklaw
    citizenklaw Member Posts: 61 Member
    Not in my case, but...

YMMV. Mine was 10cm. I did not bleed after my neph.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Welcome, Michael

When you think about what the doctor(s) did to your kidney, it would be no surprise that some people have blood in their urine.  Although I can't remember seeing blood in mine, I would not be surprised that I did.  Try to relax and see what your doctor has to say.  He/she may ask you to come in for scan or have you wait and watch to see if it persist.  

Good luck and keep us posted

Stub

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    I think your GP should have

I think your GP should have you do a urinalysis to see if you have a bladder infection.   An infection can happen weeks after having a catheter.  I just think it's an appropriate test, and very simple.  In the meantime, stay hydrated.  It's good for you.

• Michael1956
    Michael1956 Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2019 #5
    Michael1956

I saw my surgeon yesterday. he said the blood was probably caused by a small clot from the stitches having dissolved and that he suspected that it should clear up. If it hasn't by next week, call the office and they will get me in for a scan. I have not been passing blood since yesterday so I suspect he is right. He also reassured me that if I was having true delayed bleed, not only would there be a lot more blood but I would be in considerable pain, which I am not.

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member

Michael1956

I saw my surgeon yesterday. he said the blood was probably caused by a small clot from the stitches having dissolved and that he suspected that it should clear up. If it hasn't by next week, call the office and they will get me in for a scan. I have not been passing blood since yesterday so I suspect he is right. He also reassured me that if I was having true delayed bleed, not only would there be a lot more blood but I would be in considerable pain, which I am not.

I'm glad that it doesnt

I'm glad that it doesnt appear to be anything to be concerned about per your doctor.  Thank you very much for coming back to your post to let us all know how you are doing and what your doctor had to say.  It's very helpful to others.