Dandelions (More Than A Weed)

mojogirl67
mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306

I have always been a supporter of natural supplements and nutrition..even more so now. All of us are different and at different stages of dealing with our cancer diagnosis. For me, my liver was the first place the cancer traveled. Dandelion leaves and tea are part of my diet. A simple weed that you can consume from flower to root is packed with vitamins A, C, and K. It also contains folate and vitamin E. The polyphenols can significantly reduce inflammation. It has a large amount of iron, calcium, magnesium and potassium. It has high levels of antioxidants such as beta-carotene and polyphenols..both which protect against cell damage and oxidative stress. Dandelion helps to detoxify the liver and stimulates bile production. It will aid in detoxifying the liver from chemical build-up from pharmecutical drugs/treatment. All parts of the plant are edible and are used in different ways...teas, salad..etc. The leaves can be brewed into a tea which can stimulate excretion and increase urine flow, pulling excessive fluid from edematous tissues. It has been found to work wonders in reducing the swelling of joints due to arthritis and gout. The roots can improve digestion and act as a mild laxative and rellieve constipation and fullness. It has beent  found to boost the production of healthy gut bacteria as well. I buy the leaves from my local co-op just as you would any salad leaf. The bigger leaves are bitter and the smaller one have a milder flavor. I like the bitter for the potential "punch" of goodness it packs. I take the bunch and tear into pieces just like lettuce for a salad. I make a dressing of fresh squeezed orange juice, balsamic and olive oil. I drench the whole bowl in it and put it in the fridge. I can eat a handful like that everyday and sometimes will add grapes or walnuts for extra flavor and nutrition. The benefits of this "weed" are worth eating every day to me. I hope this information is useful to someone and wish everyone the best in treatment and better health....hugs, M

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited May 2019 #2
    Not just superstition

When I was little - many, many years ago - my mum would say 'Don't pick the Dandelions because you'll wet the bed'.  And now you tell me they are a diuretic, it all makes sense. 

I used to drink Dandelion & Burdock when I was young, but it was carbonated, so maybe not so healthy. It sure tasted good, though. 

Tru

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Need some weed

I need some weed for my joints lol. Had arthritis in knees and hands pre-chemo and its gotten worse since, so def going to give it a try! Get de-ported tomorrow Mojo! 

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

Need some weed

I need some weed for my joints lol. Had arthritis in knees and hands pre-chemo and its gotten worse since, so def going to give it a try! Get de-ported tomorrow Mojo! 

Deportation

Congratulations on your deportation.  Nice sunset on your Arizona Mountain.

• mojogirl67
    mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306

Need some weed

Beautiful Sunset

First, congrats and good luck on the port removal.. sending good energy your way!! Second, that is an incredibly beautiful sunset. Must have been something in person.. wow!!..Hugs your way!!..M

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member

Need some weed

Getting deported!

HA! I love it......Say that here in my neck of the woods and half the town will be running for the hills! I am so happy that you are rid of it!  

I have been drinking Dandelion tea for years. My youth was very wild so I figured my liver could really use the detox. Never really thought though to brew some for Jim before. Guess I will bring him a cup.....after the fever breaks of course. Thanks for the tip Mojo!