New here

Steelkiwi686
Steelkiwi686 Member Posts: 73 Member

Hi All 

Ive been lurking for a couple days and am so glad to have found you guys. I was diagnosed in July 2018with colon cancer.. Started chemo in August with the plan to have the 6 months of folfax oxiplatin etc. 6 mos came and went and I’m still getting the chemo every two weeks. My doctor has not discussed an end date and I haven't asked since the 6 month mark passed. I figure when he determines my treatment is completed he’ll let me know :). This has me less stressed than watching the calendar while family asks “when is your last treatment” every time they speak to me. I have two scans tomorrow chest and abdomen to see how I’m  doing. My last scan of abdomen looked good but this is my first chest scan since diagnosis. Of course I have scanxiety which Im doing pretty well at ignoring but you guys know what it is like. Others are lucky enough not to understand even if they try. 

Anyhow I have definitely had my own personal ups and downs physically with infections, reactions, dehydration etc but I’m happy to say I‘m currently feeling great. This helps me think the scans should reflect that. My current routine consists of staying with my sister durring treatmen week and heading home to my apartment where I spend the off week trying to live my like as normally as I  can and get frequent visits from my grown kids. My daughter keeps my dog during treatment weeks and I get her back as soon as I return on off weeks. I was reflecting yesterday how much I love my dog and the companionship she offers, not to mention the sense of normalcy and what a wonderful support she has been to me. I would have been heartbroken to have had to give her up and it means the world to me that my daughter never hesitated to help me this way. 

Anyhow just wanted to introduce myself, thank everyone for this great group and I look forward to being part of it. 

Happy Monday! 

SK

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Welcome to the forum, SK

I am sorry you have to be here, but it sounds as though you are handling everything pretty well.  It is always so good to have a support system going, especially family and dog. 

I wish you well as you wait for the results of your scan. It is always good to have a positive attitude, while allowing a little - just a little - space in there for the 'what if it's bad'.  No point in worrying about the bad, because worry never changed anything. And, I have found, that no amount of going over and over a senario in my head, changed how devestated I was when they found a liver mass. So, you just go ahead and feel great and expect great things. 

I am happy you have joined the forum. We are a great bunch of people, and advice and backup support. 

Tru

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Hello and welcome! That's a

Hello and welcome! That's a lot of chemo over a long time but if you can tolerate it and it kicks it that would be fabulous! It's wonderful that you have family support as well as your dog. Some people go through this virtually alone and I feel so badly for them. This is tough, we all need as much support as we can get.

Looking forward to your posts!

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Welcome

Welcome and sorry you are here.  

• Steelkiwi686
    Steelkiwi686 Member Posts: 73 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Hello and welcome! That's a

Hello and welcome! That's a lot of chemo over a long time but if you can tolerate it and it kicks it that would be fabulous! It's wonderful that you have family support as well as your dog. Some people go through this virtually alone and I feel so badly for them. This is tough, we all need as much support as we can get.

Looking forward to your posts!

Jan

TThank you all for the warm

TThank you all for the warm welcome. Yes it seems like a lot of chemo to me lol. Thank goodness I am no longer getting the oxiplatin anymore. I had 14 rounds of it before they stopped due to significant side effects.  The worse was the weight loss. Since I’ve been off of it I have regained most of the weight that I had lost so I feel so much stronger as a result. I know that I’m lucky to have the support I do and I try to appreciate it every day. I have chemo and dr appointment on wed where they will review the results of my scans so till then my fingers will be crossed in hopes there are no negative developments. if it isn’t the news I hoped for I hope to handle it half as well as so many in this group have.  

It’s funny lots of times I forget I have cancer. Meanwhile  I believe I may be one of the chosen to be on chemo for life. in my case, the  power of denial is hard to overestimate  

Happy to be here with such great people. 

SK

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    edited May 2019 #6
    Welcome. You will find a

Welcome. You will find a great group of caring people here. Hope your scan turns out well.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

TThank you all for the warm

TThank you all for the warm welcome. Yes it seems like a lot of chemo to me lol. Thank goodness I am no longer getting the oxiplatin anymore. I had 14 rounds of it before they stopped due to significant side effects.  The worse was the weight loss. Since I’ve been off of it I have regained most of the weight that I had lost so I feel so much stronger as a result. I know that I’m lucky to have the support I do and I try to appreciate it every day. I have chemo and dr appointment on wed where they will review the results of my scans so till then my fingers will be crossed in hopes there are no negative developments. if it isn’t the news I hoped for I hope to handle it half as well as so many in this group have.  

It’s funny lots of times I forget I have cancer. Meanwhile  I believe I may be one of the chosen to be on chemo for life. in my case, the  power of denial is hard to overestimate  

Happy to be here with such great people. 

SK

I have a weird combination of

I have a weird combination of being very aware of having cancer and allowing myself to not believe it at the same time. I often cry gping to the cancer centre because then I have to accept it. I guess that's how I cope. I've told the story on here before of being at the hospital waiting for an IV that I get regulary for something other than the cancer and hearing the nurse tell the doctor about the patents that are in the minor treatment room. I hear her say "she has stage four colon cancer" and I think "oh, that poor woman" and then I realize it's me!

I am on chemo for life. I get it every few months and it's pretty miserable when I do but I've been lucky to do it over the winter so I can bow out of going out in the cold.

Take care,

Jan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    JanJan63 said:

I have a weird combination of

I have a weird combination of being very aware of having cancer and allowing myself to not believe it at the same time. I often cry gping to the cancer centre because then I have to accept it. I guess that's how I cope. I've told the story on here before of being at the hospital waiting for an IV that I get regulary for something other than the cancer and hearing the nurse tell the doctor about the patents that are in the minor treatment room. I hear her say "she has stage four colon cancer" and I think "oh, that poor woman" and then I realize it's me!

I am on chemo for life. I get it every few months and it's pretty miserable when I do but I've been lucky to do it over the winter so I can bow out of going out in the cold.

Take care,

Jan

The other day....

I was mentioning 'The older woman over there' and followed it up with 'about my age.'  old lady driving smiley     I almost cried.   

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Welcome

Welcome to the group.  It sounds like you have gone through a lot of the process already.  We have a lot of knowledge here on the boards.  It's not a great place to be but there is a lot of encouragement here and help.  Hope that all your tests turn out great and let us know how you are doing.

Kim