No beer during chemo?!?

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

Here is a heartbreaking article for beer drinkers suggesting you abstain during chemo: https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/11/4/879/htm

(Actually, my tastes changed and I could not drink beer during chemo even if I tried.  Fortunately, I have returned to normal and enjoy a glass or two regulalry)

Beer, the most popular beverage containing hops, is also frequently consumed by cancer patients. Moreover, non-alcoholic beer, owing to its nutritional value and high content of biological active compounds, is sometimes recommended to patients by oncologists. However, the potential benefits and negatives have to date not been sufficiently evaluated. The present study was designed to examine the effects of four main hop-derived prenylflavonoids on the viability, reactive oxygen species (ROS) formation, activity of caspases, and efficiency of the chemotherapeutics 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), oxaliplatin (OxPt) and irinotecan (IRI) in colorectal cancer cell lines SW480, SW620 and CaCo-2. All the prenylflavonoids exerted substantial antiproliferative effects in all cell lines, with xanthohumol being the most effective (IC50 ranging from 3.6 to 7.3 µM). Isoxanthohumol increased ROS formation and the activity of caspases-3/7, but 6-prenylnaringenin and 8-prenylnaringenin exerted antioxidant properties. As 6-prenylnaringenin acted synergistically with IRI, its potential in combination therapy deserves further study. However, other prenylflavonoids acted antagonistically with all chemotherapeutics at least in one cell line. Therefore, consumption of beer during chemotherapy with 5-FU, OxPt and IRI should be avoided, as the prenylflavonoids in beer could decrease the efficacy of the treatment.

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited April 2019 #2
    Bummer

My taste changed but not that much that beer didn't taste good so it was good to me.  Some people also said they tasted metallic when having beer but that was never my case.  Most foods still tasted good, it was just my appetite that was down.

Kim

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    How about when not on Chemo?

Did I read the findings correctly-said beer was effective anti-cancer treatment unless on chemo?

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    With an aggressive stage 3c tumour

I chose to give up all alcohol as soon as I was diagnosed with cancer. I figured it would not hurt to have my liver firing on all cylinders . I was lucky that I developed no mets . Since that time I have been on high dose prednisone , methotrexate and now cyclosporine. I also took targin (oxycodone) for nearly three years. I take warfarin daily. None of these drugs were compatable with alcohol so I have never resumed drinking. Ron.

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    "I Like Beer"

Tom T. Hall wrote a song by that title back in the 70's.  It, and beer, have always been a favorite of mine.  But, during neoadjuvant chemo (Xeloda) and adjuvant chemo (FOLFOX6) my desire for beer totally dissipated.  About six weeks later my taste returned.

Jim

• lhduffer
    lhduffer Member Posts: 90 Member
    Beer on chemo

I like a nice cold beer or a glass of wine, but while on chemo, like Ron, I abstained from any alcohol.  I figured my liver was going to be put through enough without me adding to it and I didn't want to do anything to delay my treatment.  While on breaks from chemo I would indulge and have since gone back to enjoying my beer and wine.

• SandiaBuddy

"I Like Beer"

Tom T. Hall wrote a song by that title back in the 70's.  It, and beer, have always been a favorite of mine.  But, during neoadjuvant chemo (Xeloda) and adjuvant chemo (FOLFOX6) my desire for beer totally dissipated.  About six weeks later my taste returned.

Jim

Song

Hey, I remember that song as well.  I like beer.

• SandiaBuddy

How about when not on Chemo?

Did I read the findings correctly-said beer was effective anti-cancer treatment unless on chemo?

Off chemo

There are a series of studies showing some benefit from hops.  I think these links were lost in the CSN crash.  This article certainly does seem to say that it is the anti-oxidant properties of beer that make it undesirable during chemo (just like anit-oxidant vitamins).

I looked at this issue very seriously and my take-away is this, for initial occurrence of colon cancer, beer is a net negative; but after occurrence, beer and all alcohol are a net neutral and red wine is a positive.  Once again, this is solely my read of the issue and it may be influenced by the fact I like beer.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member

Song

Hey, I remember that song as well.  I like beer.

'It helps me unwind......and

'It helps me unwind......and sometimes it makes me feel mellow.....". I avoided it one day before the round and two days after, by then I felt I'd earned a couple. lol...........................................Dave

• OnTheRoad
    OnTheRoad Member Posts: 31 Member
    I had beers while on Chemo

In my case, I sometimes had some beers, but only in the weekend of the "good"  week. As it was about 10 days away from the chemo session, I hope all the good (or evil) stuff that Folfox had to do was already done. 

I knew my liver was under high stress during the chemo period (and some exams showed it), but on the other hand I always thought that the chemo could notwork, that new mets could (and still can) develop, etc... so, I was trying to have a kind of "normal"  life.... let's see what the future is preparing for me ! 

• LSU2001
    LSU2001 Member Posts: 32 Member
    OnTheRoad said:

I had beers while on Chemo

In my case, I sometimes had some beers, but only in the weekend of the "good"  week. As it was about 10 days away from the chemo session, I hope all the good (or evil) stuff that Folfox had to do was already done. 

I knew my liver was under high stress during the chemo period (and some exams showed it), but on the other hand I always thought that the chemo could notwork, that new mets could (and still can) develop, etc... so, I was trying to have a kind of "normal"  life.... let's see what the future is preparing for me ! 

I like beer as well

I was a pretty regular beer drinker before my diagnosis.  Since I have been on chemo, almost 3 years now, I will only drink a few beers here and there.  I do miss hanging out with my friends and tossing back a few or 10 LOL.  I haven't noticed any particular difference between now and when I was drinking regularly.  I just want to be careful and not put a lot of unnecessary stress on my liver.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Sedona Beer

Buddy, when we were at the grand canyon we had a drink at the Bright Star main building. Our waiter, Shaun, asked if I liked beer and I said I didn't. He said I really should try this beer they have that's made in Sedona. He's not a drinker and he likes it. So he brought me a small glass of it to try. It was actually very good! Have you ever tried it? I can't remember the name of it. Shaun was a fantastic server, too, such a nice man!

I normally don't drink but I had what they call an Arizona Sunrise. Yum!

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    JanJan63 said:

Sedona Beer

Buddy, when we were at the grand canyon we had a drink at the Bright Star main building. Our waiter, Shaun, asked if I liked beer and I said I didn't. He said I really should try this beer they have that's made in Sedona. He's not a drinker and he likes it. So he brought me a small glass of it to try. It was actually very good! Have you ever tried it? I can't remember the name of it. Shaun was a fantastic server, too, such a nice man!

I normally don't drink but I had what they call an Arizona Sunrise. Yum!

Jan

Sedona Beer

Jan, I never have had the Sedona beer.  There are so many local breweries now, it is difficult to keep up.  I often have an IPA I think they brew in Flagstaff.  "Arizona Sunshine."  I had to look that one up.  Is it rum, coffee and ice cream?  Anyway, I am glad you relaxed while at the Grand Canyon.  If you get a chance, you should post a few pictures for the board to enjoy!

• JanJan63

Sedona Beer

Jan, I never have had the Sedona beer.  There are so many local breweries now, it is difficult to keep up.  I often have an IPA I think they brew in Flagstaff.  "Arizona Sunshine."  I had to look that one up.  Is it rum, coffee and ice cream?  Anyway, I am glad you relaxed while at the Grand Canyon.  If you get a chance, you should post a few pictures for the board to enjoy!

I'll have to download some

I'll have to download some pictures. The Arizona Sunride is basically a Tequila Sunrise. I'm not a tequila drinker but I do like them. I rarely have a drink and I don't like to taste the alcohol.

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    Tequilla sunrise

Ah yes, I guess its time for the song as well: Link

• JanJan63

Tequilla sunrise

Ah yes, I guess its time for the song as well: Link

Memories!

Wow, that brings back memories! Thanks!

Jan

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    No wine either, no barbeque

No wine either, no barbeque (it's a carcinogen), no artificial foods or flavors.  Just good old fashioned organic foods.  I'm convinced it's why I'm still here.  Now that I'm cancer free I indulge in a few things but I eat bbq very rarely and I only have a glass of wine or two a year in case there is that one cell waiting to flip.

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Alcohol

I was told no more alcohol ever. When one's liver has been compromised like many of us have had happen, it's not a good idea to tax it with alcohol. I don't always do as I'm told but I rarely drink alcohol anymore. It sucks because I love the flavor of beer.