Steroids

WHIZZER78
WHIZZER78 Member Posts: 54 Member

I’m pre-treating today with steroids in hopes of not having another allergic reaction tomorrow during treatment.   I hate steroids.  They jack me up and raise my heart rate.  Ughhhhhhh 

Comments

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Muffins

That‘s why I baked muffins every week for the infusion staff!  Good luck. 

• WHIZZER78

Muffins

That‘s why I baked muffins every week for the infusion staff!  Good luck. 

Yum....muffins.....lol.

Yum....muffins.....lol.  Great idea.  I’m sure they appreciated them.  

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Steroids are Wonderful and Awful

They gave me steroids before, during and after every chemo.  I asked to have the dose cut in half after the first one, since when I ended up in the hospital with the aFib/RVR, no one could tell me for certain whether the chemo or the high doses of steroids caused it.  My blood sugar was over 500 as well, and came down as the night in the hospital progressed.  For the last 5 chemos, I did fine with half the dose of steroids, and never had any nausea throughout the entire treatment.  Best wishes, but do be careful how much you take!

• CheeseQueen57
    WHIZZER78 said:

Yum....muffins.....lol.

Yum....muffins.....lol.  Great idea.  I’m sure they appreciated them.  

Muffins.

I made blueberry, strawberry, mocha, banana nut, cranberry. I even made a batch the afternoon I had the stroke. 

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2019 #6
    I liked the steroids

When the chemo kicked in it knocked me down so hard with the fatigue and loss of appetite that I actually kind of looked forward to the steroids giving me a kick in the pants and hunger! Almost like a bit of a chemo vacation.

• WHIZZER78
    Thanks everyone for your

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Will see how it goes. 

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    edited April 2019 #8
    I hated the Decadron.  I

I hated the Decadron.  I asked them to decrease the dose, and they did.  I never had an allergic reaction, eventually got down to 5 mg, I think.

• Ribbons
    Ribbons Member Posts: 150 Member
    MAbound said:

I liked the steroids

When the chemo kicked in it knocked me down so hard with the fatigue and loss of appetite that I actually kind of looked forward to the steroids giving me a kick in the pants and hunger! Almost like a bit of a chemo vacation.

Steroids

I didn’t mind the steroids too much either! I did have an increased heart rate but they also helped reduce the pain and swelling in my injured ankle. Lol

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    edited April 2019 #10

Muffins.

I made blueberry, strawberry, mocha, banana nut, cranberry. I even made a batch the afternoon I had the stroke. 

Cheese.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingFrown (I give it four giggles, and one frowny face for the stroke.)

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    That was the best part about them for me.

Sluggish, with a low heart rate. The steroids actually gave me energy I normally do not have. 

• Lulu7582
    Lulu7582 Member Posts: 112 Member
    MAbound said:

I liked the steroids

Steroids

Yes me too....the chemo kicks my butt and makes me so tired and nauseated but the steroids on day 2 make me feel normal...it's only one day then I usually feel sucky again day 3. Day 5 today and starting to feel ok but boy I don't like this weekly taxol thing!!! xo

• CheeseQueen57
    Lulu7582 said:

Steroids

Yes me too....the chemo kicks my butt and makes me so tired and nauseated but the steroids on day 2 make me feel normal...it's only one day then I usually feel sucky again day 3. Day 5 today and starting to feel ok but boy I don't like this weekly taxol thing!!! xo

Taxol

I had Taxol weekly and dosed up weekly with steroids. What a wild ride. Hope to never do that again. 

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    It seems like everyone had

It seems like everyone had different reactions to steroids and maybe were given different amounts. I only had five little pills the night before chemo and then the same amount next day . It left me energized the day after chemo. My husband would warm me to slow down.

• WHIZZER78
    The steroids didn’t affect me

The steroids didn’t affect me as bad as I had expected, so that’s A good thing.  Only complaint so far from treatment is a headache.  

Thanks everyone for your input.