Waiting for doctor's appointment

Eva62
Eva62 Member Posts: 5

My daughter 35yrs old was in the car accident a week ago. They did cat scan with contrast and discovered multiple lung opacity. One is 17.2mmx6.8mm. The ER doctor they told her to follow it with 3 month ct scan. She has appointment with a lung doctor next week. Meanwile I completely falling apart with worry. What are the chances that this is a cancer? I read a lot on internet and the statistivs are not good. 

Comments

• jorola
    jorola Member Posts: 243 Member
    These findings can be coincidential

These  ground glass like findings in lungs can be caused by other conditions other than cancer such as:

Only a biopsy of one can confirm if it is cancer for sure.

• Eva62
    jorola said:

These  ground glass like findings in lungs can be caused by other conditions other than cancer such as:

Thank you very much for your

Thank you very much for your replay. I try to have good thoughts but it is hard as everybody here knows

• Eva62
    edited April 2019 #4
    jorola said:

I appreciate your aswer a lot

I appreciate your aswer a lot. Thank you. I am reading about different kinds of biopsies.Seems like VATS is the most reliable and the patient is diagnosed right on the operating table. They can also remove the nodule at the same time if warranted. What are your thoughts about it?

• jorola
    jorola Member Posts: 243 Member
    Honestly i am not qualitified to give an opinion

not only because I am not a dr but also my husband never had surgery either. I just want to be upfront with you on that. I am sure there are pros and cons with it. Has your daughter been able to sit with her drs to go over these? IF she is ok with it, see if she will allow someone to go with her to the appt if she doesn't have someone already going. It is good to have a second set of ears on appts like these. That way they may catch things you miss and they also may interpret things differently than you. Some drs allow you to record appoints so check about that too. then everyone can focus on what is being said instead of taking notes (the other alternative - the other person taking notes).

If the VATS surgery can do the biospy and get the results immeidately then it reasonable makes sense to me but again sorry I lack experience with this.

I wish your daughter all the best. Please keep us posted ok? Hang in there.

Jodie

• Eva62
    edited April 2019 #6
    To record the appointment is

To record the appointment is a very good tip. We will check if the doctor is ok with it. My guess would be yes because why not.  My daughter lives in Boston and I live about 250 miles away. She did not want me for the lung doctor appoitment wihch is this Wednesday. Maybe it is better this way. Emotionally I am a mess. God bless you for the support you are giving me and the others during this difficult time

• Eva62
    I waited for the doctor

re waited for the doctor appointment hoping to get some answers. I was dissappointed to say the least. He said he had no idea what the opacity was and ordered a ct scan in three months to see  possible changes for further diagnosis. Way to conservative and casual for me at this size. I think he should have ordered at least a pet scan. I am thinking about getting a second opinion. But there are long waiting lists and I am not sure what to do to be seen sooner rather than later