Any Different After a Break?

mojogirl67
mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306

Hey guys. I am amazed at how much easier the soreness has been in the past couple of days for me. Six weeks was the magic turning pointl. I still hurt and my energy is not the same but I am in so much more of a better place than I was a week or so ago. I was wondering about the second round of chemo I will start soon. Once your body had a break off of it, did it affect you differently when you started back? My hair thinned out some with the first five sesssions and I wonder if will happen again or get worse the second round. My appetite has slowly crept up in the past day or two so I hope chemo doesn't kill it. I know we are all different but anything you guys can share for the second trip into the fire would be appreciated. Hugs, M

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Happy news

It really makes me happy to hear that you are feeling the benefits of being six weeks post surgery.  Your body went through so much, it just has to be a great lift, to know that you can feel better.  I remember - not fondly - when I was going through treatment, how it seemed I would never feel good again. 

I cannot answer your question, but I did just want to say that I am happy you are getting your self back.  

And, I do pray that you are not hit too hard with chemo side effects. You deserve a break. 

Tru

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I'm sorry, I don't know. I've

I'm sorry, I don't know. I've only been on the immunotherapy chemo more than once and it changes a bit every time but it's not traditional chemo. I hope it gets easier.

Jan

• Msboop15
    Msboop15 Member Posts: 83 Member
    Glad you’re feeling better

Im pretty new to this but gather you had a liver resection. Is that right?  Just wondering because I think I’ll be following in those footsteps in the next couple of months. Sounds like the recovery was a bear but so glad you‘re feeling more like yourself now. 

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    I am not sure if this is true

I am not sure if this is true. I had an allergic reaction to oxaliplatin my second mop up chemo. Someone mentioned to me that that does sometimes happen after you have take a break from folfox. Again, don't know how true that is, but wish someone had warned me because I would have watched for the symptoms.

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    I had several "breaks"

I had 3 rounds of Folfox then a port infection so I had a 4 week break , I bounced back very fast from that one, I had 3 more rounds than a 8 week break from another infected port, bouncing back was slower but after 4-5 weeks felt real good. Last 3 rounds were at a reduced dosage because of neuropathy symptoms and I finished up those early November. My hair and eyebrows and eyelashes had thinned out quite a bit, are all growing in well now.  It took a while to bounce back energy wise  lab wise after last round but had a large DVT in upper extremity on top of it all. Even with several breaks CT scans showed continued shrinking of lung mets , and last scan showed just one left that had decreased by half and was partially calcified. I was very fortunate to have a good response from the chemo, despite interruptions. The last 3 rounds at a reduced dose were somewhat easier,  my worst day was when the 5Fu pump was disconnected so I am in awe you are up to driving back after that! So glad to hear you are feeling better!

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Great

So glad to hear that you are feeling better and you are moving and eating more.  As far as the second round of treatment it all depends on what you are going to be taking and how your body responds.  Your body has just gone through a lot so it's good that they gave you several weeks off in between.  Hoping you do well with the next round.

Kim

• mojogirl67
    edited April 2019 #8
    Trubrit said:

Happy news

It really makes me happy to hear that you are feeling the benefits of being six weeks post surgery.  Your body went through so much, it just has to be a great lift, to know that you can feel better.  I remember - not fondly - when I was going through treatment, how it seemed I would never feel good again. 

I cannot answer your question, but I did just want to say that I am happy you are getting your self back.  

And, I do pray that you are not hit too hard with chemo side effects. You deserve a break. 

Tru

NEVER take feeling good for granted..

Tru, you are so right. It is a great lift to know my body is feeling better. It's not at 100%, but just to feel like the pain might go away gave me so much hope. I remember my husband saying, "I'm so tired of feeling sick and tired."...It broke my heart to hear that but I truly understand that now. Somehow you just have to "hold on until the morning comes". The mop-up chemo has me concerned but I'll get thru it. I am grateful I was in the small percentage of folks who even get to have surgery so I'll do what I have to do to get thru this. I appreciate, as always, the support and advice you are there to offer..Biggest hug your way!..M

• mojogirl67
    JanJan63 said:

I'm sorry, I don't know. I've

I'm sorry, I don't know. I've only been on the immunotherapy chemo more than once and it changes a bit every time but it's not traditional chemo. I hope it gets easier.

Jan

One step at a time...

Thanks Jan! I'm hanging on and know I'll get thru this one day, lol. Hugs, M

• mojogirl67
    Msboop15 said:

Glad you’re feeling better

Im pretty new to this but gather you had a liver resection. Is that right?  Just wondering because I think I’ll be following in those footsteps in the next couple of months. Sounds like the recovery was a bear but so glad you‘re feeling more like yourself now. 

Welcome..

You have found a great group of people to support you. Everybody is different so don't let my whining scare you. I had a colon and liver resection at the same time and my gallbladder removed too. I'm glad it is all over but if I had to do it again, I think I would have done two separate surgeries in order to give each "organ" time to heal on its' own. I dealt with a lot of referred pain in my shoulder blade and arm. That, combined with the trappped gas and my colon learning to work again was hard.  It's not a piece of cake to get thru,  but you can do it. Try to take time in small increments and not think to far out. I know that helps me a lot. I wish you the best in your treatment and feel free to ask anything..Hugs, M

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

Hey, we are glad you are back. I did develop some issues after another round of chemo that originally haven t been here. Butt.

• mojogirl67
    Butt said:

Hey, we are glad you are back. I did develop some issues after another round of chemo that originally haven t been here. Butt.

Issues After Second Round

Thanks Butt..glad to be feeling better. What type of issues did you develop with the second round of chemo? How many rounds did you go thru before you noticed something different?

• Emmett20
    Emmett20 Member Posts: 5
    I am glad you are recovering.

I am glad you are recovering.  I have been on a break from folfox and avasttin for about 2 months now.  I am starting pill form xeloda plus radiation tomorrow on primary tumor.  If all goes well I will only have the one surgery to liver tumors plus hai pump.  I am young and overall health and response to treatment has been v good with v few side effects except the neuropathy.  I am hoping the fact that I have tingling sensation means it finally getting better.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Emmett20 said:

I am glad you are recovering.

I am glad you are recovering.  I have been on a break from folfox and avasttin for about 2 months now.  I am starting pill form xeloda plus radiation tomorrow on primary tumor.  If all goes well I will only have the one surgery to liver tumors plus hai pump.  I am young and overall health and response to treatment has been v good with v few side effects except the neuropathy.  I am hoping the fact that I have tingling sensation means it finally getting better.

Does that mean you won't have

Does that mean you won't have a colon resection?

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

After about 6 sessions I developed mouth sores. Never had them on Folfox. After 4 sessions I developed severe upper back pains and they know it is muscles.They can feel it. Over the counter stuff is not working but the problem is that Percocet is not working either. So, they are stuck but strongly suspect it is a chemo side effect. I tried massage, accupancture, chiropractor but we are not getting anywhere. Butt.

• mojogirl67
    Butt said:

After about 6 sessions I developed mouth sores. Never had them on Folfox. After 4 sessions I developed severe upper back pains and they know it is muscles.They can feel it. Over the counter stuff is not working but the problem is that Percocet is not working either. So, they are stuck but strongly suspect it is a chemo side effect. I tried massage, accupancture, chiropractor but we are not getting anywhere. Butt.

Chemo Is Like A Box Of Chocolates...

My mouth was dry but I used coconut oil to pull with first thing in the mornings and it really helped. I had severe lower back pain and spasms but it was from the Neulasta patch. I only had it once and after they reduced the dose, I never had it again. I guess there is no way to predict until you go thru it. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Chemo Is Like A Box Of Chocolates...

My mouth was dry but I used coconut oil to pull with first thing in the mornings and it really helped. I had severe lower back pain and spasms but it was from the Neulasta patch. I only had it once and after they reduced the dose, I never had it again. I guess there is no way to predict until you go thru it. 

Shots or patch

I have seen the Neulasta patch advertised on the telly, and wondered how it works. Does it get in the way? How long do you keep it on for? 

I had to go down to the local hospital for Neupogen shots every single day. I think the patch has to be way better than that.

I also had boney pain with the Neupogen.

Tru