Stage 2A to Stage 4

Erica2016
Erica2016 Member Posts: 47 Member

Hi everyone, I was NED for 3 years, and my recent CT scan showed a new growth in my liver. When i was diagnosed in 2016 we decided on 6 sessions of chemo and 5 weeks of radiation after my surgery. My Oncologist told me I was considered stage 4 now, and we dont know what the plan of attack is until i get a PET and MRI.

Has anyone here gone through something similar?

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited April 2019 #2
    Sorry

I'm sorry to hear this.  It seems most mets are found within the first 18 months but can happen after 3 years for this to pop up in a distant organ.  I'm not sure if you had colon or rectal surgery but it probably would be good to wait until you get the further scan to decide how to approach this new growth.  They will get more information from the new scan.  I'm not able to help you any further but glad you came back on the boards to help you find more answers.  Wishing you the best.

Kim

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited April 2019 #3
    A different perspective

I asked my surgeon if I had additional cancer if I would be stage 4.  She said, no, she thinks of each occurrence as a new matter and would treat it as such, potentially stage 1!

It may just be a little mind game, but it might change your perspective.

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    19 months after my cancer

19 months after my cancer surgery (APR), it came back in my lungs. My doctor said that any time the cancer goes from the original spot to another, it’s considered stage 4.

that being said, it doesn’t mean we are not still going for a cure. I had surgery and chemo and am cancer free for the moment. I’ll take it!

good luck

k

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    yeah was 3b with 2 nodes

yeah was 3b with 2 nodes involved, liver resection 3 years later, then again 3 years later, now 4 1/2 years NED. It happens.............................................Dave

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Kazenmax said:

19 months after my cancer

19 months after my cancer surgery (APR), it came back in my lungs. My doctor said that any time the cancer goes from the original spot to another, it’s considered stage 4.

that being said, it doesn’t mean we are not still going for a cure. I had surgery and chemo and am cancer free for the moment. I’ll take it!

good luck

k

I wonder if surgery is going

I wonder if surgery is going to be an option for me for the two small lesions on my lungs. Is it more difficult than liver surgery, since it doesn't grow back?

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    abita said:

I wonder if surgery is going

I wonder if surgery is going to be an option for me for the two small lesions on my lungs. Is it more difficult than liver surgery, since it doesn't grow back?

My nodules were .9 cm and 1.1

My nodules were .9 cm and 1.1 cm. They did VATS and removed a 1/3 of my left lung with about 15 lymph nodes. They got clear margins and no lymph involvement. I decided that I did not want to mess with a biopsy. I just went to a thoracic surgeon and said get these out of me! He agreed but said that without knowing for sure that these were rectal cancer nodules and not lung cancer, he would have to take extra margins that are associated with lung cancer. I said that’s good. LOL. I just want that crap out of me.

the surgery was not near as bad as the rectal surgery. I hope they can get them out for you.

k

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

Abita, you want to consider vats on your lungs and SBRT. I can t spell the last one I suspect. Someone may correct me. Butt.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Kazenmax said:

My nodules were .9 cm and 1.1

My nodules were .9 cm and 1.1 cm. They did VATS and removed a 1/3 of my left lung with about 15 lymph nodes. They got clear margins and no lymph involvement. I decided that I did not want to mess with a biopsy. I just went to a thoracic surgeon and said get these out of me! He agreed but said that without knowing for sure that these were rectal cancer nodules and not lung cancer, he would have to take extra margins that are associated with lung cancer. I said that’s good. LOL. I just want that crap out of me.

the surgery was not near as bad as the rectal surgery. I hope they can get them out for you.

k

Me too! I am surprised they

Me too! I am surprised they can remove that much. Mine are about that size. I am tryingt to get into MSK right now, so will hopefully find out my best treatment plan. It is so weird that feeling of knowing there are tumors inside. Mine are about that size as of my last scan.