CRP

Dominick0711
Dominick0711 Member Posts: 99 Member

I noticed my CRP is elevated now a little more than two months post surgery. It was elevated before surgery but to a lesser extent. Has anyone else had any conversations with docs regarding elevated CRP?  I was at .8 mg/dL before surgery and now 1.5 mg/dL post surgery. I am reading elevated CRP can have an association with RCC.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciatred.

Comments

• en8236
    en8236 Member Posts: 30 Member
    lack of exercise may be?

Could be sedentary life style, possibly because you are not having much physical activity post surgery? 

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    What is the normal range at

What is the normal range at your lab?  Ours is less than 20 mg/liter.  I do know any inflammatory process can cause the elevation.

• Dominick0711
    So my readings were mg/dL. 

So my readings were mg/dL.  If you conver to mg/L my reading would be 15 and reference range was 0-5.  It was 8 before surgery.

• Dominick0711
    My doc thinks it is related

My doc thinks it is related to lack of exercise and inflammation related to surgery even 6 weeks out...

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member

My doc thinks it is related

My doc thinks it is related to lack of exercise and inflammation related to surgery even 6 weeks out...

It makes perfect sense to me

It makes perfect sense to me that it is related to the inflammatory process with healing.  If I was you, I would live well and just repeat the test in the near future.  

My husband has had 2 major surgeries and his CRP was normal.  I just got results for my son and his is very elevated.  Dr is telling him it's from having a bad cold.  Kinda scares me.  I also think he should repeat the test when he feels better.

• Mighty Frog
    Mighty Frog Member Posts: 152 Member
    hs CRP elevated after 1 year

Yes. hs CRP is inflammation marker. Nowadays any inflammation caused by tumors can trigger hs CRP marker. 

Before my surgical my hs CRP level was  at 5 mg/L. After surgical it has < 0.3 mg/L. I was on every 6 months scan. Hence on the 2nd scan (after 1 year), my hs CRP elevated to 1.4 mg/L. I knew this is bad. Either it is back somewhere or my diet goes wrong. 

My doctors are not very concerned..... BUT i was very concerned no doubt on the 2nd scan the resulted NED, but it can be at other places of my body which is not scan. I was very very very worries and depressed. As i knew hs CRP elevated is not a very good sign. 

I went back to my diet and make a 360 degree changes on my diet. I adpoted whole food & intermittent fasting and cut down on all dairy products except egg from my previously LCFH diet. I was basically on Anti inflammation diet. 

My most recently bloodwork done in Jan 2019 reported my hs CRP at <0.3 mg/L and my scan is clear too. I was SO relieved.

But i went through a very tough food restriction diet on myself. In fact till 2day i still struggling with my diet. As i losing alot of weight on this diet (I see all my lung bones) .... now trying to keep & maintaining my weight within a healthy range. (No worry i still within a healthy BMI).

O yes.... others than diet, i do regularly jogging and walking. 

But looking at your situation, maybe is really the inflammation from the process of recovering. But keep vigilant. 

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    I was hoping to chime in but...

I can't find anything about a  a CRP test in any of my bloodwork that is posted on the hospital portal where I had surgery.  Is there another term for this test?

Stub 

• Mighty Frog
    Mighty Frog Member Posts: 152 Member
    CRP Marker

Hi! stub 1969. 

They has two types of these marker, one known CRP (C-Reactive Protein) and another one hs CRP (HIgh Sensitivity C-reactive protein. Both use to detect inflammation level in our body. Normally basic bloodwork don't include CRP marker test unless you request one (of course with addtional fees) or do a full bloodwork diagnosis.

Again, elevated in CRP marker can mean alot of things.....but for us is quite important, as the firstline of defence. Once it's elevated indicated somewhere in our body has inflammation (where our immune system is fighting with the inflammatory) whether it is BACK or not, atleast we know something is coming.... This is why important to have a lower CRP marker. 

• Dominick0711
    Yes Mighty Frog perfect

Yes Mighty Frog perfect explanation.  My blood test was taken by my PCP not my surgical oncologist. Seeing him next week for my first set of scans and I will discuss with him then.  I'm not sure how elevated it needs to be to be a major concern for recurrence. I also have other markers of metabolic syndrom and fatty liver which my PCP thinks is driving the increase along with healing from surgery.