Small Cell Carcinoma

Samsydar3311
Samsydar3311 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2023 in Esophageal Cancer #1

HIs anyone out there dealing with Small Cell Carcinoma, please reach out to me.  I am almost 10 years survivor of Small Cell Carcinoma, it was in my liver, my Stomach and my pelvic.  you can beat it, reach out to me with any questions so i can share my story with you, and be of some support along your journey.    Believe and trust in God, he will see you through like he did me.    

Comments

• brave222
    brave222 Member Posts: 3
    An Unusual Case of Small Cell Esophageal Cancer

Hello, 

I would first like to say thank-you for reaching out to share your story. I cannot imagine how difficult of a journey it has been for you, but am happy to hear you are doing better. Below is my mother's story, and what she is currently dealing with. If you have any advice, it would be greatly apprecitated.

My mother was feeling unwell, and we were forced to have her admitted to hospital because her sodium level was at 120, while a normal level is between 135 and 145. After a number of tests and days spent monitoring and regulating her sodium levels, she was diagnosed with Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone (SIADH), which causes life-threatening, low sodium levels. After spending almost a week in the hospital on a restricted fluid intake, and undergoing many CT scans, she was sent home with urea which is a medicine that is meant to help correct her SIADH condition. This seemed to help for a limited time, but after finishing the dosage she began feeling the same symptoms as before (nausea, weakness, and incoherence).  

I took her back to Emergency and after bloodwork her sodium level was at 116. During this admission to the hospital they performed a barium swallow x-ray, and the doctors found an abnormality in her esophagus/stomach. After, they proceeded with a scope and biopsy of the affected area. Once receiving many sodium IV drips, my mother’s sodium reached safer levels, and was sent home. Now we just had to wait for the results of the biopsy.

She was forced only days after to be readmitted to the hospital because the effects of the SIADH. While in hospital, the biopsy results came back showing that she had small cell carcinoma of the esophagus, which is a rare and aggressive disease. Only one other person in our city had dealt with a similar diagnosis. Because of the location of the tumour and type of cancer she was told that surgery would be out of the question. After performing more CT scans, they found several lesions in the right and left lobes of the liver, and the cancer had metastasized to the lymph nodes as well.  

My mother began her chemotherapy treatment which lasted a total of three days and corrected her SIADH almost immediately. It is of note that the saline drips were struggling to control the SIADH during this last admission. Now, after many months later she has just finished her chemotherapy treatments, and is going through tests. Her bone scan results were positive, and shows no cancer. A CAT scan shows that the cancer in the esophagus is still present, but smaller. Now she will be meeting with another doctor to decide whether radiation is the next step, or if surgery could ever be a possibility. We are hoping to get second opinions elsewhere as well.

This is where we are currently in her journey. We want to reach out for the small chance that anyone out there has been diagnosed or knows anyone facing the same type of rare cancer as my mother. Any type of advice, information, or help is greatly appreciated.

• Muhammad Umair Khan
    Muhammad Umair Khan Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2019 #3
    brave222 said:

Hello, 

I would first like to say thank-you for reaching out to share your story. I cannot imagine how difficult of a journey it has been for you, but am happy to hear you are doing better. Below is my mother's story, and what she is currently dealing with. If you have any advice, it would be greatly apprecitated.

My mother was feeling unwell, and we were forced to have her admitted to hospital because her sodium level was at 120, while a normal level is between 135 and 145. After a number of tests and days spent monitoring and regulating her sodium levels, she was diagnosed with Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone (SIADH), which causes life-threatening, low sodium levels. After spending almost a week in the hospital on a restricted fluid intake, and undergoing many CT scans, she was sent home with urea which is a medicine that is meant to help correct her SIADH condition. This seemed to help for a limited time, but after finishing the dosage she began feeling the same symptoms as before (nausea, weakness, and incoherence).  

I took her back to Emergency and after bloodwork her sodium level was at 116. During this admission to the hospital they performed a barium swallow x-ray, and the doctors found an abnormality in her esophagus/stomach. After, they proceeded with a scope and biopsy of the affected area. Once receiving many sodium IV drips, my mother’s sodium reached safer levels, and was sent home. Now we just had to wait for the results of the biopsy.

She was forced only days after to be readmitted to the hospital because the effects of the SIADH. While in hospital, the biopsy results came back showing that she had small cell carcinoma of the esophagus, which is a rare and aggressive disease. Only one other person in our city had dealt with a similar diagnosis. Because of the location of the tumour and type of cancer she was told that surgery would be out of the question. After performing more CT scans, they found several lesions in the right and left lobes of the liver, and the cancer had metastasized to the lymph nodes as well.  

My mother began her chemotherapy treatment which lasted a total of three days and corrected her SIADH almost immediately. It is of note that the saline drips were struggling to control the SIADH during this last admission. Now, after many months later she has just finished her chemotherapy treatments, and is going through tests. Her bone scan results were positive, and shows no cancer. A CAT scan shows that the cancer in the esophagus is still present, but smaller. Now she will be meeting with another doctor to decide whether radiation is the next step, or if surgery could ever be a possibility. We are hoping to get second opinions elsewhere as well.

This is where we are currently in her journey. We want to reach out for the small chance that anyone out there has been diagnosed or knows anyone facing the same type of rare cancer as my mother. Any type of advice, information, or help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Hi,

Appologies my englist is not good.

I was diagnosed with the same kind and my treatemnt is just finishe, around a week ago.

my treatme include radiation and chemotherapy together and Allahamdulillah my CT scan and Biospsy is clear.

I hope I ll be helpful.

Thank you

• mbta2886
    mbta2886 Member Posts: 1 Member

I have the same you didn't mention what stage I have stage 4 told me 3 to 6mos your story is hope love to hear back thanks steve