Just had ct scan when should I tell family?

Wilma224
Wilma224 Member Posts: 6

59 yr old former smoker quit 5 years ago.  Had chest X-ray and EKG during routine physical. I was worried about EKG results since they have been abnormal in the past but instead I was referred to radiology for  CT scan due to a shadow on my chest X-ray. I have no symptoms so thankful that if there is an issue it was caught early. Had CT scan yesterday so should get results this week  

i live alone and am not ready to share this development with family who is super intrusive and usually judgmental. Based on these postings it seems it may be several weeks or months before I know for sure what I am dealing with. So wondering who to tell first and when. 

Comments

• jorola
    jorola Member Posts: 243 Member
    In the end it is your choice but...

Please know a CT scan cannot confirm cancer, only a biopsy can. If you want to discuss there are concerns with your family again that is your choice but you cannot say it is cancer, even if a spot shows up on the ct scan until apathology report from a biopsy confirms it is cancer. There are several reasons for "shadows." It is hard not to auomatically think cancer but try not to go to worse case scenarios . I personally encoourage people to come to no conclusion rather wait until the results are actually in and then go from there. However I am not you and it is your life and your choice.

• Wilma224
    jorola said:

In the end it is your choice but...

Please know a CT scan cannot confirm cancer, only a biopsy can. If you want to discuss there are concerns with your family again that is your choice but you cannot say it is cancer, even if a spot shows up on the ct scan until apathology report from a biopsy confirms it is cancer. There are several reasons for "shadows." It is hard not to auomatically think cancer but try not to go to worse case scenarios . I personally encoourage people to come to no conclusion rather wait until the results are actually in and then go from there. However I am not you and it is your life and your choice.

One day at a time

Thanks for the reply. I should get results of CT scan this week and take it one day at a time. 

• dbask
    dbask Member Posts: 4
    Sharing

I understand  about not knowing when or what to tell family members.  I found out I have a recurrance of my Carcinoid Cancer and am trying to decide wht to tell my children about it.  We can only hope that such news when given to our family will bring them to understnading and supporting us.

I do agree that waiting till you know forsure about whether it is cancer or not before you get to excited. Try to take deep breaths and positive thoughts right know.

• Wilma224
    Follow up with doctor

doctor went over findings. nothing bigger than 1 cm but they want to do a follow up scan in 3 months since as a former smoker I am considered high risk. 

So glad i didn’t tell family anything yet. If and when that time comes I now have a better perspective on next steps.