Mixed Response Taxol & Avastin

linmk
linmk Member Posts: 58
edited October 2018 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

I have been on Taxol and Avastin for the last three months. To refresh people's memories I am Stage IVB garden variety endometrial cancer. I have had three different chemo treatments, a hysterectomy, and two clinical trials, the last one was an immunotherapy trial. I won't be able to particpate in another immunotherapy trial because I am MSI-Stable and I didn't have a good response to the immunotherapy. The CT scan this past week showed that the newer places with tumors were responding to the Taxol and Avatin but the tumors in the older places like the lungs were growing. It's called a mixed response. So now I am on my sixth treatment plan, a regime of daily megace and tamoxifen tablets. No more infusions. Only the first chemo of Taxol and Carboplatin wiped out the tumors. I was NED for a brief period of less than three months.

I am supposed to return to MD Anderson in Houston at the end of three months for another CT scan. My left leg is still bothering me. It's because of the Taxol infusion that I had been taking. The pain should go away in a month now that I'm off the Taxol. I hope all is well with everyone.

Comments

• Red Corvette
    Red Corvette Member Posts: 114 Member
    Warrior

You are a strong brave warrior. Keep on fighting.

Red

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Linmk

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! I am sorry you are still having that leg pain.  You have gone through so much....((Hug))

Lori

• paris11
    paris11 Member Posts: 159
    I have stage 4B uterine

I have stage 4B uterine cancer. The cancer was DX in 2007.  I have been in remission for four years.  The therapy is tamoxifen and megace.

Best, Connie 

• LadyMox
    LadyMox Member Posts: 56 Member
    Good to hear you had some

Good to hear you had some response, but sorry to hear not all your tumors responded. I hope they can find something that works for the other tumors.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited October 2018 #6
    linmk, I have been thinking

linmk, I have been thinking of you.  Thank you for checking in.  Hugs dear one.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    I'm glad to hear from you! I

I'm glad to hear from you! I hope the experimentation pays off this time, and hope for the day none of us have to be experimented on.

• Wannabeatit
    Wannabeatit Member Posts: 100 Member
    Hope it works for you. Looks

Hope it works for you. Looks like Paris 11 has had some good results with the same treatment?

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    I was wondering how you were

I was wondering how you were doing. I sure hope this new regiment works for you! 

Love, 

Eldri 

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    edited October 2018 #10
    paris11 said:

I have stage 4B uterine

I have stage 4B uterine cancer. The cancer was DX in 2007.  I have been in remission for four years.  The therapy is tamoxifen and megace.

Best, Connie 

Paris, this is hugely

Paris, this is hugely comforting to know that someone with 4B in 2007 is around and in remission. Thank you for your post, and may I beg you to please put that information on your "About me" page so others can see it? It's immensely comforting.

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Linmk, I'm so glad to hear

Linmk, I'm so glad to hear from you! I wish all the tumors were shrinking but at least some of them are, which beats the alternative. Has glutamine been of any help to you with the Taxol side effects? You're in my thoughts and prayers. B

• paris11
    derMaus said:

Paris, this is hugely

Paris, this is hugely comforting to know that someone with 4B in 2007 is around and in remission. Thank you for your post, and may I beg you to please put that information on your "About me" page so others can see it? It's immensely comforting.

Will do derMaus.  Briefly I

Will do derMaus.  Briefly I was Dx stage 4 B. In 2007.  I was 69 years.  I was told I had less than a year.  I seriously considered swimming into the Atlantic Ocean.  Today I am 81 and just returned from an easy swim.  The tamoxifen and megace turned the tide.  My oncologist thinks Its a cure.

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Hugs, Linmk!

Thank you so much for updating us.  I think of you so often since we ran into each other at MD Anderson!  Praying now that the pain in your leg subsides quickly, and that you have wonderful results with the new protocol.  As a fellow Stage IVB garden variety, I am so encouraged by Paris's comment that the same treatment turned the tide for her!  Please keep us posted, friend!

• pato58
    pato58 Member Posts: 120 Member
    Linmk

Keeping you in my thoughts too!
    Have a good weekend Smile

• LadyMox
    LadyMox Member Posts: 56 Member
    paris11 said:

Will do derMaus.  Briefly I was Dx stage 4 B. In 2007.  I was 69 years.  I was told I had less than a year.  I seriously considered swimming into the Atlantic Ocean.  Today I am 81 and just returned from an easy swim.  The tamoxifen and megace turned the tide.  My oncologist thinks Its a cure.

That is wonderful to hear!

That is wonderful to hear!

• hopeful56
    hopeful56 Member Posts: 73
    Linmk,

Linmk,

You are in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope your pain is alleviated and all the tumors shrink.

Sending you hugs.

• paris11
    Dr. Coleman at MDA and Dr.

Dr. Coleman at MDA and Dr. Brian Slomovitz at Sylvester Cancer in Miami are doing cutting edge research into recurrent EC.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    paris11 said:

Welcome News

Paris11,

Thank you so much for checking in and sharing your good news. Women, especially those struggling with late stage cancer, really appreciate hearing about cases like yours. Here's to many more years of wonderful ocean swims.

• linmk
    linmk Member Posts: 58
    Thank you for all your good wishes

Paris11, I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well. Many more enjoyable swims. I have two questions: How many different types of treatment did you endure before your oncologist put you on megace and tamoxifen? Were you presented with other choices besides those?

derMaus, the glutamine does work when I remember to take it. At least it seems to lessen the amount of pain medicine I take. Lately, I've been fighting fatigue, perhaps because of the megace. I seem to need more sleep lately.

I hope everyone is doing well. Again thank you for your support.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited October 2018 #20
    linmk said:

Thank you for all your good wishes

Paris11, I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well. Many more enjoyable swims. I have two questions: How many different types of treatment did you endure before your oncologist put you on megace and tamoxifen? Were you presented with other choices besides those?

derMaus, the glutamine does work when I remember to take it. At least it seems to lessen the amount of pain medicine I take. Lately, I've been fighting fatigue, perhaps because of the megace. I seem to need more sleep lately.

I hope everyone is doing well. Again thank you for your support.

Sleep

I felt tired a lot on Megace, too, so that is definetly a side effect. I slept so soundly on it without dreaming. Since I've stopped the Megace a couple of weeks ago I'm back to having a very active mind when I sleep and now I am tired because I'm not getting a good night's sleep. I kind of miss the dreamless sleeping.

• paris11
    Apologies for taking so long to respond

I have had problems resetting my password.

Long and winding road:

2007. DX with EC Stage 1:  I had sub optimal debunking surgery at Northwestern.  Chemo was not offered.

2008:  Mets to liver, abdomen and lymph nodes.  TX was Carbo/Taxol.  18 month remission.

2010: surgery to remove lymph nodes and resection diaphragm.  TX was 6 rounds IP/IV Carbo/Taxol.  31 month remission.

2013:  Splenectomy and removal of lymph nodes. 6 weeks of radiation to lymph nodes. TX Carbo/Taxol 18 month remission.

2014:  Tumor growing like a vine around aorta.  I enrolled in hospice.  I requested Tamoxifin/Megace.

2015:  CT scan showed NED.  43 month remission.

i am humbled.  I live with gratitude.  I will try to keep up with conversation.

Connie