Short Bowel Syndrome

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

Does anyone else have this? They told me I'd have it now after the last sugery. I got a booklet that gave a bit of an outline and suggested things like eating more salt. Actually putting salt in orange juice or gatorade. Canned soups- full of sodium- are also supposed to be good for me. And processed meats, one of the things that they say can cause colon cancer. Hmmm. Which I hate, anyway.

Does anyone have any advice about this or experiences? I sill have very little appetite and low grade nausea and have lost two more pounds since leaving the hospital.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Jan

Comments

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Jan

I am pretty sre that John 23 suffered from it. I cant remember anyone else or should I say none come to mind. Ron.

• JanJan63
    Thanks Ron. John is no longer

Thanks Ron. John is no longer with us and I miss his posts. He was so against chemo and tried CTM instead. 

Jan

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks Ron. John is no longer

Thanks Ron. John is no longer with us and I miss his posts. He was so against chemo and tried CTM instead. 

Jan

what is CTM?

what is CTM?

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    abita said:

what is CTM?

what is CTM?

Chinese Traditional Medicine

John was huge into it.  I'm sure it helped him, for a while; but sadly he has left us. 

Tru

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member
    FB group

There is a facebook support group for those with Short Bowel Syndrome. It has 608 members. You may want to look there for some answers. Hugs Jan sorry I can't be more help!

• JanJan63
    edited September 2018 #7
    Twinzma said:

FB group

There is a facebook support group for those with Short Bowel Syndrome. It has 608 members. You may want to look there for some answers. Hugs Jan sorry I can't be more help!

Thanks! I'll check that out!

Thanks! I'll check that out!

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    ron50 said:

Hi Jan

I am pretty sre that John 23 suffered from it. I cant remember anyone else or should I say none come to mind. Ron.

Yes

Remember something about that and he tried everything to help himself.  Unfortunately he's no longer here.  He was a great guy with much information.  Sorry I'm not able to help you Jan.  Hope someone comes forward.

Kim

• lhduffer
    lhduffer Member Posts: 90 Member
    Salt

I really don't know about shortened bowel syndrome, however, after my LAR, and while I had my temporary ileostomy, I was advised to add salt or use full sodium products due to my shortened "system".  You don't have the lower bowel to absorb nutrients before they are eliminated, which can cause nutritional deficiencies from what I understood.

• JanJan63
    lhduffer said:

Salt

I really don't know about shortened bowel syndrome, however, after my LAR, and while I had my temporary ileostomy, I was advised to add salt or use full sodium products due to my shortened "system".  You don't have the lower bowel to absorb nutrients before they are eliminated, which can cause nutritional deficiencies from what I understood.

Yes, the pamphlet they gave

Yes, the pamphlet they gave me talked about sodium and the lack of ability to absorb nutrients. They even suggest putting it in orange juice. My husband had a heart attack and triple bypass a year ago and his diet is so different from mine that we rarely eat the same thing now. 

Jan