severe diarhea

My husband, who has stage 4 colon cancer with met to the liver, is currently in the hospital for severe diarhea due to Xeloda. Anyone else have something like this? Any suggestions? He is coming home in two days with IVs and will have to delay his last two chemo sessions (3 weeks each).

Comments

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    Diarrhea

I think its a common side effect.  I know someone who's also on xeloda that was admitted thrice because of extreme diarrhea.  I once, was admitted also because of it, but I think it had something to do with what I ate.  And I was on folfox then, not xeloda.  When I was on xeloda I didn't experience any major side effect.

I think the important thing is to keep him constantly hydrated.  

All the best.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Xeloda

Side affects to this can differ between people and I'm sorry that your husband has landed in the hospital but this is the best place for him.  It might be time to take him off of it until he stabilizes.  He's going to need to drink a lot especially losing that much fluid.  Hope when he gets home he does better.

Kim

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Diet

When he comes home he, with the doctor's ok, might have some benifit from diet change for a while.

Avoid any drink with caffine (coffee, tea, colas).

The BRAT diet has helped many in his situation.  B = banannas, R = whtte rice, A + applesauce, T = toast

Hope he is on the mend soonest.

Marie who loves kitties

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    I had this too on chemo but I

I had this too on chemo but I had a bag and it went in there so it was easier to deal with. One thing that helped was potatoes as they absorb a lot of water. It made the stuff in the bag a lot less watery.