Is Ablation considered a surgery that can "cure"

abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

I feel like a lightbulb just went off. When oncologists say only liver surgery has the potential to be a "cure", does that include ablation? I think until this moment, I was thinking of it as just a quicker way to shrink the tumor than chemo, but if it has the potential to mean a longer, healthier life, I think I have to do whatever I can to get someone to use that on me.

Comments

• mountainhiker
    mountainhiker Member Posts: 54
    When done properly

I discussed this option before I had my resection.  When done by an experienced radiologist, my understanding is that it can destroy a tumor and all its cells.  But it has to destroy the tumor and a few milimeters of good cells around it to make sure all bad cells are dead - not a problem as long as the person doing it does it correctly (just like getting clear margins during a resection).

You don't want the person who just got out of med school doing it - you want the doctor whose done a bunch.

mountainhiker

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member
    ALLPS?

Ablation would obviously be the least invassive and I hope an option for you! But have you discussed a multi-stage Allps procedure with anyone? John Hopkins can do it in 3 phases where as most centers only do it in 2. By doing it in the 3 stages it opens the door to those who carry a larger tumor load. I have read a lot about alblation and yes it can bring a patient into NEDsville. Sadly this is not an option for my Jim, too much involvment. Even after ablation though mop up chemo would need to be preformed. 

• abita
    Twinzma said:

ALLPS?

Ablation would obviously be the least invassive and I hope an option for you! But have you discussed a multi-stage Allps procedure with anyone? John Hopkins can do it in 3 phases where as most centers only do it in 2. By doing it in the 3 stages it opens the door to those who carry a larger tumor load. I have read a lot about alblation and yes it can bring a patient into NEDsville. Sadly this is not an option for my Jim, too much involvment. Even after ablation though mop up chemo would need to be preformed. 

I have two, at my last scan,

I have two, at my last scan, tumors. It is a recurrence. I am fine with the mop up chemo. My oncologist said, I don't think they can be ablated due to location, but i have not talked to radiology yet. I have a second opinion with MSK the wekk after I start chemo. I am hoping that they have a very experienced person who can do it as I am not willing to accept only having a couple of years on maintenance chemo left. I am only 52. Thank you for your research!

• abita

When done properly

I discussed this option before I had my resection.  When done by an experienced radiologist, my understanding is that it can destroy a tumor and all its cells.  But it has to destroy the tumor and a few milimeters of good cells around it to make sure all bad cells are dead - not a problem as long as the person doing it does it correctly (just like getting clear margins during a resection).

You don't want the person who just got out of med school doing it - you want the doctor whose done a bunch.

mountainhiker

My liver resection had clear

My liver resection had clear margins, and here I go again :(

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member
    edited September 2018 #6
    abita said:

I have two, at my last scan, tumors. It is a recurrence. I am fine with the mop up chemo. My oncologist said, I don't think they can be ablated due to location, but i have not talked to radiology yet. I have a second opinion with MSK the wekk after I start chemo. I am hoping that they have a very experienced person who can do it as I am not willing to accept only having a couple of years on maintenance chemo left. I am only 52. Thank you for your research!

MSK is definatley the place!

MSK is definatley the place! You will get good news there I know it!!!Cool

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    abita said:

Location is definetly a factor

also size they must be under 5 cm 

it can be curative, absolutely yes! Let them tell you at Sloan, that’s who did my husband’s and it was in a tricky spot also. It was in the caudate lobe near his vena cava. He saw Dr Peter Kingham and he was experienced and not afraid like the dr here..

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Cure

I personally don't believe in a cure, and I'm not looking for one. I am quite happy being NED, and hope to stay that way for the rest of my very long life. 

I had an ablation (thermal) four years five months ago, and have been NED ever since (next set of tests coming up). So I won't tell you its a cure, because its not a word I use, but I will tell you that it is working for me. 

A good liver surgeon should be the one who can tell you if you are or are not a candidate. My Oncologist wanted me to have a resection, but my liver surgeon said I was a great candidate for an ablation. 

I was aslo told that 2 cm was the limit for ablation, but I bet it depends on who you talk to. 

Good luck as you move forward and make decisions.

Tru