Erbitux + Folfoxiri

Woodytele
Woodytele Member Posts: 163

I have had 29 cycles of Folfoxiri, so the Dr. Started me on Erbitux as well as keeping the Folfoxiri on this last infusion. The Folfoxiri has lost some effectiveness, but my CEA actually went down a bit yesterday. 

just wondering if anyone else has same treatment, if so how was Erbitux?

• how bad was the rash
  • did it reduce CEA and tumors
  • any helpful hints to deal with the rash?

thanks!

Comments

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Erbitux rash

I  had 54 treatments with Erbitux and Irinotecan. The rash was  bad and quite itchy in the beginning, particularly on my face and neck, although I  never got too many pustules as others have reported. The oncologist prescribed  Clindamycin gel and it cleared up pretty quickly.  I had a few outbreaks after, mostly on my neck and chest that but they were fairly mild and cleared up quickly with the gel. What has been an ongoing problem is extremely dry, flaky skin, so make sure to get a good moisturizer and use it liberally. 

Erbitux rash

My liver mets, which had  grown 18% while on 5FU and Avastin, shrank on the Erbitux regimen to the point that they could be ablated.

My CEA was  never a good indicator and  never registered above 8.7, but it did  drop to 1.5.

I hope you are able to tolerate your new treatment without too many problems and that it works as well for you.

Grace/lizard44

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member
    lizard44 said:

Erbitux rash

I  had 54 treatments with Erbitux and Irinotecan. The rash was  bad and quite itchy in the beginning, particularly on my face and neck, although I  never got too many pustules as others have reported. The oncologist prescribed  Clindamycin gel and it cleared up pretty quickly.  I had a few outbreaks after, mostly on my neck and chest that but they were fairly mild and cleared up quickly with the gel. What has been an ongoing problem is extremely dry, flaky skin, so make sure to get a good moisturizer and use it liberally. 

Erbitux rash

My liver mets, which had  grown 18% while on 5FU and Avastin, shrank on the Erbitux regimen to the point that they could be ablated.

My CEA was  never a good indicator and  never registered above 8.7, but it did  drop to 1.5.

I hope you are able to tolerate your new treatment without too many problems and that it works as well for you.

Grace/lizard44

Can I ask you to elaberate on

Can I ask you to elaberate on the number of treatments? My husband is on FOlFRI W/ Erbitux and now all of a sudden his doctor has decided 2 more treatments and that's it. His liver function and cardio function are fine. Tumors are shrinking. Not sure if it is an insurance issue or her magic number but I am baffled right now. He does the Folfri every 2 weeks and Erbitux weekly and is no where close to as many sessions as you have had. You have had both cocktails 54 times?

• lizard44
    Twinzma said:

Can I ask you to elaberate on

Can I ask you to elaberate on the number of treatments? My husband is on FOlFRI W/ Erbitux and now all of a sudden his doctor has decided 2 more treatments and that's it. His liver function and cardio function are fine. Tumors are shrinking. Not sure if it is an insurance issue or her magic number but I am baffled right now. He does the Folfri every 2 weeks and Erbitux weekly and is no where close to as many sessions as you have had. You have had both cocktails 54 times?

I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I didn't have the Erbitux in combination  with Folfiri, which is a combo of folinic acid, fluorouracil (5FU), and irinotecan, I had only the irinotecan with the Erbitux, and that was as maintenance chemo.  I had treatments with Folfox plus Avastin (8 treatments),  5FU alone with radiation 28 treatments), and 5FU with Avastin (4 treatments) before beginning the 54  Erbitux and irinotecan chemo combo. Have you asked the oncologist why she's discontinuing and what she has planned next?    

Grace/lizard44

• Twinzma
    lizard44 said:

I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I didn't have the Erbitux in combination  with Folfiri, which is a combo of folinic acid, fluorouracil (5FU), and irinotecan, I had only the irinotecan with the Erbitux, and that was as maintenance chemo.  I had treatments with Folfox plus Avastin (8 treatments),  5FU alone with radiation 28 treatments), and 5FU with Avastin (4 treatments) before beginning the 54  Erbitux and irinotecan chemo combo. Have you asked the oncologist why she's discontinuing and what she has planned next?    

Grace/lizard44

Thanks!

She did not give a reason and I am stumped. Our insurance only approved until September so I am wondering if this has something to do with it. I started a thread about it this week. She will be scaning my husband after 2 more sessions then presenting to the tumor board and then sees us. In the meantime I am looking into other treatment centers in our area. 

• Woodytele
    Erbitux

Sorry for any confusion,

i have had 29 treatments of Folfoxiri, and on the last treatment they added Erbitux To the Folfoxiri. 

• Twinzma
    Woodytele said:

Erbitux

Sorry for any confusion,

i have had 29 treatments of Folfoxiri, and on the last treatment they added Erbitux To the Folfoxiri. 

Rash

Woodytele, my husbands Erbitux rash is pretty extensive, but his oncologist says that this is a good thing that it shows the treatment is working. He was given an antibiotic cream to use and on Wednesday he had to start oral antibiotics as a precaution as some of the bumps have broke open. He also has cracked feet and hands from this so please be sure to use a lot and I mean a lot of lotion. Ask your oncologist if he/she has a start up kit. It has lots of samples and coupons. Also heed the warning stay out of the sun. My husband refuses to do this so he covers up and puts on sunblock. Use the lotion kind of sunblock, not the spray it will burn like hades on contact. He has been on this regime for several months and I don't think he would be here had it not been added to the mix. Best of luck to you 

• lizard44
    edited August 2018 #8
    Twinzma said:

Rash

Woodytele, my husbands Erbitux rash is pretty extensive, but his oncologist says that this is a good thing that it shows the treatment is working. He was given an antibiotic cream to use and on Wednesday he had to start oral antibiotics as a precaution as some of the bumps have broke open. He also has cracked feet and hands from this so please be sure to use a lot and I mean a lot of lotion. Ask your oncologist if he/she has a start up kit. It has lots of samples and coupons. Also heed the warning stay out of the sun. My husband refuses to do this so he covers up and puts on sunblock. Use the lotion kind of sunblock, not the spray it will burn like hades on contact. He has been on this regime for several months and I don't think he would be here had it not been added to the mix. Best of luck to you 

Erbitux skin care kit

Woodytele, I had alsmost forgotten about the skin care kit (Thanks for the reminder, Twinzma).If your doctor doesn't have one to give you, you can order a free kit directly from Erbitux.  They also have some hints and advice on skin care  on their website:

https://www.erbitux.com/find-support-resources.html

Grace/lizard44

• Woodytele
    Thank you all

thanks for the advice!  I’m scared of the rash, but will do my best to deal with it.