New to this - Stage 3a Grade 1/2

I'm 52 years old. I have been having irregular periods for a while, thought it was menopause. Finally went to ny gyne on 6/29/18. She found s cyst on right ovary. Ultrasounf 7/5/18. went for results on 7/11/18, I was sitting in a Gynecologic Oncologists office on 7/13/18. We decided to do a hysterectomy. During my preop testing she did an endometrial biopsy just incase. She called me on 7/17/18, its endometrial cancer. Radical hysterecttomy on 7/20/18. 3Metastasis to ovarian mass. Got path report today, lymph nodes clear!!! Peritoneal washing clear!!! Endometroid Adenocarcimoma Stage 3a Grade 1/2. Im feeling very fortunate, but Im waiting for the other shoe to drop. I dont see Dr. until 8/8/18. With 3a, Im still likely to need chemo correct?     

Comments

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    edited August 2018 #2
    Welcome

As we say, sorry you need to be here but glad you found us. We will help. Right now, just concentrate on recovering from surgery. You are probably starting to feel pretty good but remember your body has been through a lot. Find the happy medium between doing enough but not overdoing. I REALLY believe this is such an important part of healing without complications. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Storm, Connie is right to

Storm, Connie is right to concentrate on healing.  Rest, drink fluids.  You probably will have chemo - but we will be here for you when they tell you the plan and you have questions.  Stay off the internet - Dr. Google is NOT a certified physician Laughing

You are not alone and we will be here to help you.  

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    I was stage 3, grade 2

I was stage 3a, grade 2 endometrial cancer and was diagnosed last September. Had hysterectomy in early October. I did have chemo and radiation and just finished 2 months ago. Just got my ct scan results and I'm still clear. Definitely don't pay attention to statistics on the internet. They are outdated and my doctors gave me much better odds than the ones you see on the web. Chemo is not fun but very doable. I hated losing my hair but it's coming back quickly! The hardest thing about radiation was just driving there every day:)

• The Storm
    The Storm Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2018 #5
    Thank you everyone for your

Thank you everyone for your comments. I have a hard time with the resting. I work a lot so its tough to lay around. Dr. Google unfortunately has been my constant compainion since July 11th. I know better, I am a nurse but cancer is not my area of expertise. I truely appreciate your support.

• txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member
    Welcome. Soryy you had to

Welcome. Soryy you had to join us but glad you found us.  I am like the rest of the ladies stay off Dr Google.  I had Grade 3 STage 3C Carcinoma Sarcoma Uterine Cancer. 2 cells in lymph node so higher stage.  Went through 6 rounds of chemo Carbo/Taxol no raditation.  That was 7 years ago.  No recurrance.  So it is doable to go through it and I will not say beat it but get to NED.  The ladies here are wonderful, very supportive and sharing.  We have walked the walk.  Good luck with your journey. trish

• pato58
    pato58 Member Posts: 120 Member
    Storm

Hung in there! I am still recovering from my hysterectomy (7/6/18). Did you get the DaVinci robotic one?
    I assume your type of cancer is Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma? Did they tell you why the grade is in between 1 and 2?
    Anyways, like the ladies said here, chemo is doable. This support group helped me a lot Kiss

• The Storm
    edited August 2018 #8
    pato58 said:

Storm

Hung in there! I am still recovering from my hysterectomy (7/6/18). Did you get the DaVinci robotic one?
    I assume your type of cancer is Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma? Did they tell you why the grade is in between 1 and 2?
    Anyways, like the ladies said here, chemo is doable. This support group helped me a lot Kiss

I did have robotic surgery

I did have robotic surgery and it is EA. Its grade 1-2 because of mets I assume, I see my Dr. next week. Can I ask what stage your facing?  

• The Storm
    edited August 2018 #9

Welcome. Soryy you had to

Welcome. Soryy you had to join us but glad you found us.  I am like the rest of the ladies stay off Dr Google.  I had Grade 3 STage 3C Carcinoma Sarcoma Uterine Cancer. 2 cells in lymph node so higher stage.  Went through 6 rounds of chemo Carbo/Taxol no raditation.  That was 7 years ago.  No recurrance.  So it is doable to go through it and I will not say beat it but get to NED.  The ladies here are wonderful, very supportive and sharing.  We have walked the walk.  Good luck with your journey. trish

Thank you

txtrisha55, Thank you for the Welcome and sharing your story with me. As you know, I am scared to death. 

• txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member
    The Storm said:

Thank you

txtrisha55, Thank you for the Welcome and sharing your story with me. As you know, I am scared to death. 

I was at work when my gyn

I was at work when my gyn called to give the results of my D&C she preformed two weeks prior.  It was 1April.  There are cancerous cells in the uterus. Told me the type and they were setting up appt with a gyn onc in the UTSW Simmons Cancer center for Monday Apr 4.  I was so upset that I did not hear what the type was and had to call the office back. It was MMMT.   I looked it up online and found out I had a 50/50 shot of surviving the this cancer.  I closed the door to my office and started crying.  After about 20 minutes of feeling sorry for myself I read one of my postive saying I had on my bulletin board.  Put your big girl panties on and deal with the problem as this too shall pass.  So I did and never looked back.  Yes I had bad days but I really tried to think positive that is this too shall pass.  I found this site and the ladies said I was a statistic of one, myself.  Everyone is different, every cancer is different and every result and reaction is different.  Do not let the fear hold you back or control you.  This is not a death sentence.  Yes one day you will die, but then all of us will die someday.  But you do not have an expiration date on your foot. Yes you can be scared but fo not let that be the only rhing you think about. Yes you have cancer wait till you see the dr. Ask the ladies on this site what questions you should ask. Take someone with you when you go to the dr. Take the list of questions with you. Take notes. It helps to have someone with you. I had my daughter and sister at every appt and they were with me at the surgery.  My daughter stayed at the hospital for the week I was there then stayed with me till I could take care of myself before she went back to work. She went every chemo with me. Get your support system in place. You will be surprised at how strong you really are. Praying for  you and all the ladies on this site.  trish

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Welcome, Storm!

Hi there, and welcome.  You won't find any strangers here.  We all know how you feel hearing the diagnosis.  I was told going into surgery in April of 2017 that there was a 95% chance that my cancer was Stage IA, Grade 1.  A week after surgery, I saw my online patient portal indicating positive pelvic wash, lymphvascular invasion, and mets to the pelvic cul-de-sac.  Stage IIIA, Grade 1.  A second opinion at MD Anderson yielded the diagnosis of Stage IVB, Grade 2.  (I stopped getting opinions because it couldn't get much worse at that point.)  I did have chemo, and had to switch to a different chemo combo because of a bad reaction to the first one.  My care team decided with me that we would reserve radiation for recurrence, as my post-chemo scan was clear, and only a preventive dose of radiation would have been given.  If there is a visible recurrence, they will have a target to aim at with a treatment dose of radiation.  

I know everyone cautions you not to google too much, but I really did.  I'm an obsessive researcher, and I filled notebook upon notebook with questions for my care team.  I had to be my own advocate and I needed to know what in the world everyone was talking about.  Yes, it caused me a great deal of stress, but the research, especially here on this board, yielded me so much knowledge that it was worth every heartache.  If I listen to Dr Google, I have a 17% five-year survival rate.  I'm going to listen to this group and know that I'm a statistic of ONE, and that because of what I've learned while researching, I will have options for treatment if or when I need them.

Right now?  You need lots of rest, not to lift anything, and as much joy as you can stand.  Eat well, gain strength, walk around the house a bit, and read a good book to keep your mind away from the "what ifs."  When a question pops into your head, write it down to discuss with your doctor at your followup appointment.  We'll be here for you as the rest of the path unfolds.

• pato58
    The Storm said:

I did have robotic surgery

I did have robotic surgery and it is EA. Its grade 1-2 because of mets I assume, I see my Dr. next week. Can I ask what stage your facing?  

Yes, of course you can ask

By pathology report, I was told I was Stage 1a, grade 1, although the biopsy had shown grade 2
    Endometrioid is usually slow growing. 
    So, for sure the mass on the ovary is also endometrioid, right?
    Listen to the ladies and take it easy. I am still bleeding by the end of my 1st monthUndecided but apparently everything is healing properly.
    Take care :)

• The Storm
    pato58 said:

Yes, of course you can ask

By pathology report, I was told I was Stage 1a, grade 1, although the biopsy had shown grade 2
    Endometrioid is usually slow growing. 
    So, for sure the mass on the ovary is also endometrioid, right?
    Listen to the ladies and take it easy. I am still bleeding by the end of my 1st monthUndecided but apparently everything is healing properly.
    Take care :)

pato58 - The ovarian mass was

pato58 - The ovarian mass was endometroid. I go back for my first post-op visit this Wednesday. Grade 1 is slow growing. I have been fortunate that I've had no vaginal bleeding what so ever. Its good to hear that your heling well.

I spoke with my sister in law today. She had a hysto a few years ago. She did not have cancer and it was reassuring for me to hear from her that she also had anxiety and insomnia which are my 2 biggest issues right now. We'll have to stay in touch since we are surgically so close to each other. Bless you.  

• The Storm
    edited August 2018 #14
    Post-op visit today. My

Post-op visit today. My incredible Dr. spent an hour with me and my husband. Based on type and grade I guess I'm "lucky" my prognosis for stage3 is considered good. Still going to do radiation and chemo. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as time goes on

But, as most of you know, I'm just trying to absorb all of this. God bless us all.

The Storm

• pato58
    Storm

Did you go to see the Dr?
    My thoughts with you :)

• The Storm
    edited August 2018 #16
    pato58 said:

Storm

Did you go to see the Dr?
    My thoughts with you :)

pato58 Thanks for checking on

pato58 Thanks for checking on me. Radiation oncologist consult tomorrow

Hope you are doing well. Did your bleeding stop?

• pato58
    The Storm said:

pato58 Thanks for checking on

pato58 Thanks for checking on me. Radiation oncologist consult tomorrow

Hope you are doing well. Did your bleeding stop?

Storm

Almost, not quite yet Undecided
    Let me know!

• The Storm
    pato58 said:

Storm

Almost, not quite yet Undecided
    Let me know!

pato58  Well, RO says 25

pato58  Well, RO says 25 external, 1-3 internal and afterward Chemo, GO said 4 cycles so we'll have that to look forward to. I guess I'm "lucky" RO said today that this is not treatment but preventative. Im not looking forward to any of it. But, both Drs. say Im otherwise healthy and young I should do well.   

Are they recommending anything for you? 

• pato58
    The Storm said:

pato58  Well, RO says 25

pato58  Well, RO says 25 external, 1-3 internal and afterward Chemo, GO said 4 cycles so we'll have that to look forward to. I guess I'm "lucky" RO said today that this is not treatment but preventative. Im not looking forward to any of it. But, both Drs. say Im otherwise healthy and young I should do well.   

Yes Storm

You are young and that should help tremendously when you will have to endure chemo. When do you think all the treatments will finish?
    The majority of the ladies here say that the treatments are do-able (I borrowed your word, Armywife)
    Keep posting and good luck with your journey, but I hear you when you say that you are NOT looking forward to any of it.
    Hugs :)

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    The Storm said:

pato58  Well, RO says 25

That's what they both said to

That's what they both said to me too (I turned 49 during chemo). I did come through pretty good. It's no fun, for sure. I did work through chemo and radiation, although it sure would have been nice not to, especially with chemo. That was a real struggle for a week each cycle. I only had the tiniest amount of neuropathy and it cleared up completely in about a week. I do feel like i have chemo brain still except it started before treatment so it's more like cancer brain (i was stage 3a),  which they say also happens.  Chemo sure didn't help it. I lost my phone charger 3 times during chemo! Chemo constipation is no joke, stay on top of it usually with multiple meds. I never had Neulasta, and although my neutrophils dipped below 500 by the end, I never got sick and i didn't get anemic or have any platelet problems. Actually i got influenza B 3 weeks after chemo and spent 1 night in Observation. My WBC had recovered by then but was wobbly (infection made it drop again) ... but i recovered well.

My only problem with rads was diarrhea. I took a lot of Imodium. Still use some each week but much better now, although my insides are not on friendly terms with caffeine yet (last rads 6/20). Very slight nausea early in my course of rads, but went away part way through. Irritation in a delicate area due to the diarrhea ... just take good care of your skin and decrease the diarrhea as much as you can, if you have it. I didn't find the bland diet effective at all, so i eventually gave up on it and relied in Imodium, but i know the diet worked well for others. They kept offering me something stronger for diarrhea (i don't even know what it was), but i was too traumatized by chemo constipation to be more aggressive, lol.

• The Storm
    edited August 2018 #21
    LisaPizza said:

That's what they both said to

That's what they both said to me too (I turned 49 during chemo). I did come through pretty good. It's no fun, for sure. I did work through chemo and radiation, although it sure would have been nice not to, especially with chemo. That was a real struggle for a week each cycle. I only had the tiniest amount of neuropathy and it cleared up completely in about a week. I do feel like i have chemo brain still except it started before treatment so it's more like cancer brain (i was stage 3a),  which they say also happens.  Chemo sure didn't help it. I lost my phone charger 3 times during chemo! Chemo constipation is no joke, stay on top of it usually with multiple meds. I never had Neulasta, and although my neutrophils dipped below 500 by the end, I never got sick and i didn't get anemic or have any platelet problems. Actually i got influenza B 3 weeks after chemo and spent 1 night in Observation. My WBC had recovered by then but was wobbly (infection made it drop again) ... but i recovered well.

My only problem with rads was diarrhea. I took a lot of Imodium. Still use some each week but much better now, although my insides are not on friendly terms with caffeine yet (last rads 6/20). Very slight nausea early in my course of rads, but went away part way through. Irritation in a delicate area due to the diarrhea ... just take good care of your skin and decrease the diarrhea as much as you can, if you have it. I didn't find the bland diet effective at all, so i eventually gave up on it and relied in Imodium, but i know the diet worked well for others. They kept offering me something stronger for diarrhea (i don't even know what it was), but i was too traumatized by chemo constipation to be more aggressive, lol.

Thanks for sharing your

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to hear someone make comments that aren't discouraging. I know it will be no fun, but you read horror stories and it just increases my anxiety about what's to come. I'm a planner and all of this is so foreign it's scary as you know.