Why I won't be posting for a week - Non-Cancer related

Trubrit
Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
edited July 2018 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I will be 'missing in action' over the coming week, and I'll tell you why. 

I was abandoned at birth and adopted at two. I did find out who my biological mother was, (never have met her and no desire); but no father on the brith certificare, so I figured I would NEVER know. 

Fast forward 60 years. I did one of those DNA tests. For truth, I was quite sceptical.  In one of the emails they sent, it said there was a match for a 1st cousin. I ignored it for a year, because the woman was American, and all her relatives on her pedegree chart were American, and I am English. 

This year I thought 'oh, what the heck' so I sent her a message.  She said she didn't think any of her uncles were in England in 1958, BUT HER DAD WAS. image.

We sent a few pictures back and forth. One of the pictures of her father was like looking at my son.  She emailed back and told me that one of my childhood pictures was like looking at her dad. 

I HAVE FOUND MY BIOLOGICAL FATHER - though he has passed on, I find that I have FIVE step-sister. 

Tomorrow, I am heading out to Iowa, to meet my step-sisters and my step-motherimage.

Oh, and I'm not so sceptical about those DNA tests any more. 

So, I'll be back, with tales to tell. 

Tru

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Awesome

That is wonderful and awesome news.  I'm sure that this will be an exciting visit for you and you will get some history you never thought existed.  I'm so anxious for you to meet them.  What a wonderful story and praying that you have a safe trip and and WONDERFUL visit.

Hugs!  Kim

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Love this!

obviously you knew I knew this because of Facebook but still I am incredibly excited for you!! I can’t wait to hear about it and I hope they know how lucky they are to have you! you have almost given me the courage to do one of those tests to see if I find any biological relatives. I am also adopted but I have zero knowledge of anything about them. Someday, but for now I will be excited and I cant wait to see your journey progress.  Safe travels and happiness to you!!!

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    Happy for you

Happy that your absence isn't cancer-related but even happier that its because you'll find family.  

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    Happy for you.....enjoy your

Happy for you.....enjoy your visit.

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Amazing

This is remarkable. I can't imagine all the emotions you'll experience on this trip. All those sisters to meet. I'm sure this will be a joy filled adventure. And in Iowa! That's the best DNA related story I've ever heard. Congratulations to you. 

• Cindy225
    Cindy225 Member Posts: 172 Member
    Safe and Wonderful Travels!

TRU - I have goosebumps reading this...  Enjoy special times with your new found family...

Cindy

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Wow!

Tru:

This is a perfect example of why you are still alive and kicking.  There are many more chapters to your life and this one should prove to be one of the most interesting, invigorating and beneficial.  I suspect that you are giddy with excitement (I started to use the British word gobsmacked but I have been told that there are some inappropriate meanings for that word).

What a wonderful outcome.  Enjoy it all and then please share what you will with us.

Jim

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Vacation

What a great break and exciting life news!

• KM2Illinois
    KM2Illinois Member Posts: 11
    Adventure

Have a safe and fun trip learning about your new relatives!

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    Exciting!

Hope you have a great time.  Traci

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    That's wonderful Sue, can't

That's wonderful Sue, can't wait to here the stories....................................Dave

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Coolest story ever! I found

Coolest story ever! I found my birth mother and two half sisters about ten years ago. I can't locate my birth father. It's been an adventure!

Jan

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Great story and glad that you

Great story and glad that you can connect.

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    Happy for you!

So glad you were able to meet your sister!  I hope you had a wonderful visit!

• darcher
    darcher Member Posts: 304 Member
    That is awsome

To find some long lost releatives and still be able to see them is wonderful.