New to site

askmimi
askmimi Member Posts: 19

I just wanted to say hello.  My husband was just diagnosed this week with malignant mass in his colon; discovered on a colonoscopy at 49 years old.  He had a CT scan the next day which did not show mets to liver or lungs.  Surgical consult was yesterday and he said the mass is in the sigmoid colon. That's all I know at this point.  Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday for a colon resection.  We are shell-shocked; felt like a punch to the gut.  He went a little early for his first screening because of family history (his grandfather).  We don't know if this is the right path- just going through the motions of whatever is being told to us at this point.  We just want that mass out!  We were told that other treatment will be determined after surgery- that they can't stage the cancer until then.  We don't have an oncologist yet.  I hope this is all normal. 

I'm glad this group is here and will be happy to get to know you all as time goes on.  <3

Michelle

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited July 2018 #2
    Welcome to the club nobody

Welcome to the club nobody wants to join. My understanding is that they don't usually stage it untl surgery. I think it's because they don't know if the lymph nodes are involved yet. Good that he is on top of getting checked with his family history.

You'll find plenty of support on this forum as well as relevant information. Often Google is out of date or doesn't fit with your husband's particular situation. There are a number of different chemos and treatments for different people. And studies and doctors tend to not know what it's really like to live with it on a daily basis. This forum is great for that.

Jan

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited July 2018 #3
    Welcome

Glad you found us.  We have a wealth of information on this board and there are a lot of people that can help you with any questions you have.  It's good that he is having surgery.  Just remember that it's always good to get a second opinion if you aren't comfortable with the answers you get.  You are going to go through a whirlwind of emotions, tests, surgery, doctors, etc.  We are here to help.  Just let us know what you need to know.  Wishing your husband the best of luck on Wednesday and I'm glad to hear that it hasn't spread to distant organs - that's a great sign.

Kim

• optimist777
    optimist777 Member Posts: 38
    That is a good sign they are doing surgery right away

My primary tumor sight was the sigmoid as well.  I had to complete six months of chemo, followed by a near death situation from a perforated colon, before they would even consider surgery.  The fact that they are removing your husband's sigmoid tumor right away is a good sign.  This will probably be followed by a year of chemo, and then he can reevaluate his situation.  Just tell your husband to take it one day at a time.  Thinking of you.  Stay strong. 

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I've been this scenerio, 49,

I've been this scenerio, 49, single mass, sigmoid section, family history, scared to my core, check, check, check check, and check. You're doing everything right, just follow the program, and get it out, that dominated my thought as well. You can click my name for specifics, but mostly just take it one thing at a time and have some faith. With me it took two liver resections over time but I'm 4 years clear and 11 years from diagnosis of the same thing, so hang in there...................................Dave

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited July 2018 #6
    One step at a time

The process sounds very normal.  The first step is getting through the surgery.  Whether or not there is additional treatment will be determined after the surgery, based upon examination and evaluation of the tumor itself and the lymph nodes.  In preparing for surgery, I would recommend getting lots of exercise, eating well and getting plenty of sleep.  The "prep" can leave you dehydrated and exhausted.  From my perspective, morning surgery would be preferrable.  Bring a bathrobe and slippers to the hospital.  You will want the patient to be up and walking as soon after surgery as possible--for me, it was the same day.  The more exercise you get, the better.  Depending upon the scars, getting out of bed may be difficult after the surgery, so you may want to be sure there is assistance available, or look online at how to use a sheet as a tool to pulling yourself up in the bed.  You might ask your doctor about taking cimetidine before and after the surgery--you can search the topic on this board.  Sorry you are here.  From my perspective, limiting your worries to the surgery (and not what follows) might be the best thing to do right now.

• askmimi
    edited July 2018 #7
    JanJan63 said:

Welcome to the club nobody

Welcome to the club nobody wants to join. My understanding is that they don't usually stage it untl surgery. I think it's because they don't know if the lymph nodes are involved yet. Good that he is on top of getting checked with his family history.

You'll find plenty of support on this forum as well as relevant information. Often Google is out of date or doesn't fit with your husband's particular situation. There are a number of different chemos and treatments for different people. And studies and doctors tend to not know what it's really like to live with it on a daily basis. This forum is great for that.

Jan

Thank you for replying. 

Thank you for replying.  Trying to stay off of google searches. 

• askmimi

Welcome

Glad you found us.  We have a wealth of information on this board and there are a lot of people that can help you with any questions you have.  It's good that he is having surgery.  Just remember that it's always good to get a second opinion if you aren't comfortable with the answers you get.  You are going to go through a whirlwind of emotions, tests, surgery, doctors, etc.  We are here to help.  Just let us know what you need to know.  Wishing your husband the best of luck on Wednesday and I'm glad to hear that it hasn't spread to distant organs - that's a great sign.

Kim

thank you!

Thanks.  We're not even sure at what point we would consider a second opinion.  Would that be once treatment options are presented?  We haven't even been told to see an oncologist yet- we've only dealt with the colorectal surgeon. 

• askmimi

One step at a time

The process sounds very normal.  The first step is getting through the surgery.  Whether or not there is additional treatment will be determined after the surgery, based upon examination and evaluation of the tumor itself and the lymph nodes.  In preparing for surgery, I would recommend getting lots of exercise, eating well and getting plenty of sleep.  The "prep" can leave you dehydrated and exhausted.  From my perspective, morning surgery would be preferrable.  Bring a bathrobe and slippers to the hospital.  You will want the patient to be up and walking as soon after surgery as possible--for me, it was the same day.  The more exercise you get, the better.  Depending upon the scars, getting out of bed may be difficult after the surgery, so you may want to be sure there is assistance available, or look online at how to use a sheet as a tool to pulling yourself up in the bed.  You might ask your doctor about taking cimetidine before and after the surgery--you can search the topic on this board.  Sorry you are here.  From my perspective, limiting your worries to the surgery (and not what follows) might be the best thing to do right now.

Thanks!

Thank you for all the tips. I have written them down.  You give great advice that I struggle with (brain is always going to the what ifs)

• askmimi
    edited July 2018 #10

I've been this scenerio, 49,

I've been this scenerio, 49, single mass, sigmoid section, family history, scared to my core, check, check, check check, and check. You're doing everything right, just follow the program, and get it out, that dominated my thought as well. You can click my name for specifics, but mostly just take it one thing at a time and have some faith. With me it took two liver resections over time but I'm 4 years clear and 11 years from diagnosis of the same thing, so hang in there...................................Dave

Thank you!

Thanks for replying. Great advice.  Can my husband reach out to you if he has specific questions?  I've told him about this site and I think he will probably join as well.  Thanks.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    askmimi said:

thank you!

Thanks.  We're not even sure at what point we would consider a second opinion.  Would that be once treatment options are presented?  We haven't even been told to see an oncologist yet- we've only dealt with the colorectal surgeon. 

Surgery

Yes wait until the surgery and see what they say.  It's good to have that done first and go from there.  Hope the surgery is a complete success.

Kim

• askmimi
    edited July 2018 #12

That is a good sign they are doing surgery right away

My primary tumor sight was the sigmoid as well.  I had to complete six months of chemo, followed by a near death situation from a perforated colon, before they would even consider surgery.  The fact that they are removing your husband's sigmoid tumor right away is a good sign.  This will probably be followed by a year of chemo, and then he can reevaluate his situation.  Just tell your husband to take it one day at a time.  Thinking of you.  Stay strong. 

Thank you!

I am always looking to the future and asking all the what's next, and what if questions (which probably isn't healthy), so thank you for sharing your experience.  I'm sorry you had to wait so long to have something done.  I hope you are doing well now.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    I also had a mass in my

I also had a mass in my sigmoid colon in 2016. Had surgery in April of that year and followed with 3 months of xeloda plus 1 treatment of irinotecan. I have now been Ned since Septemher of 2016. I was stage 11b. Hopefully your hubby will do as well as I have. Good luck!

• askmimi
    edited July 2018 #14

I also had a mass in my

I also had a mass in my sigmoid colon in 2016. Had surgery in April of that year and followed with 3 months of xeloda plus 1 treatment of irinotecan. I have now been Ned since Septemher of 2016. I was stage 11b. Hopefully your hubby will do as well as I have. Good luck!

Thank you!

Happy for your positive outcome!  Prayers for continued NED results

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    Thank you.

Thank you.