new here, need help

Colt57
Colt57 Member Posts: 7

I just got my husbands US report....

RT kidney exophytic lesion with internal low level echoes extending from the midpole, 4.2 x 3.5 x 3.0

Lt kidney.... upper pole CYST 1.8 x 2.4 x 1.7

other.....oviod hypo echoic vascular lesion medial to the left kidney possibly an enlarged retroperitoneal lymph node

we will be going for a CT SCAN but in the meantime I am googling away and freaking out.... please if anyone can tell me if this is cancer what stage it would be and is an enlarged lymph node indicative of cancer mets?

neoplasm cant be ruled out.... all blood work and urinalysis came back perfect....

Comments

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member
    Deep breath

Hi Colt,  I have nowhere near the knowledge or experience to help with all you listed, other than to let you know there are kindred spirits on this discussion board who will walk with you through this scary time.  Maybe some with similar results will be able to offer more info.  The time between ultrasound and CT was very scary for me - the waiting, wondering, Googling, etc.  How long before your husband's CT?  I hope you have supportive family, friends, medical folks around you.  Take care

• Colt57
    jazzgirl said:

Deep breath

Hi Colt,  I have nowhere near the knowledge or experience to help with all you listed, other than to let you know there are kindred spirits on this discussion board who will walk with you through this scary time.  Maybe some with similar results will be able to offer more info.  The time between ultrasound and CT was very scary for me - the waiting, wondering, Googling, etc.  How long before your husband's CT?  I hope you have supportive family, friends, medical folks around you.  Take care

the CTsacn is actually

the CTsacn is actually tomorrow, so its moving pretty fast but, to say Im am sacred to death is an understatement. I am trying to look up all these new words and Im not liking what Im seeing 

• JoeyZ
    JoeyZ Member Posts: 210 Member
    Colt, one of the first things

Colt, one of the first things I learned here was not to google too much. I had myself 6 ft. under in no time reading "Dr. Google." My odds of surviving 5 years is like 8% if I listen to it. PLUS, check the dates on things you look at. Most of it is terribly outdated. Just ask here or at smartpatients.com. They have a wealth of information there also. I would suggest you call and ask the doctor to clarify this for you to ease your mind! Then the CT scan should tell the rest of the story. It did for me. Hang in there, we're pulling for you guys. Please let us know how it turns out.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Sending good karma for the CT

Colt,

The CT is the Gold Standard for defining Kidney cysts or masses. At this point they are small and very small. Hopefully you will not have to join us, but we are here if you need us.

icemantoo

• Colt57
    JoeyZ said:

Colt, one of the first things I learned here was not to google too much. I had myself 6 ft. under in no time reading "Dr. Google." My odds of surviving 5 years is like 8% if I listen to it. PLUS, check the dates on things you look at. Most of it is terribly outdated. Just ask here or at smartpatients.com. They have a wealth of information there also. I would suggest you call and ask the doctor to clarify this for you to ease your mind! Then the CT scan should tell the rest of the story. It did for me. Hang in there, we're pulling for you guys. Please let us know how it turns out.

thank you for answering me, i

thank you for answering me, i need to talk to anyone other than my husband, I am trying to act cool.... not sure if its working.... yes, I have him at stage 4... little time left and its killing me. My Dad passed of pancreatic cancer and it was so trauamtizing i still havent gotten over it. How did you find yours and what were your results if you dont mind sharing, thank you in advance 

• Colt57
    icemantoo said:

Sending good karma for the CT

Colt,

The CT is the Gold Standard for defining Kidney cysts or masses. At this point they are small and very small. Hopefully you will not have to join us, but we are here if you need us.

icemantoo

Are they small? I am really

Are they small? I am really concerned about that lymph node... it seems so large, not that I know how large they get but, its bigger than the mass, I am scared out of my pants. Im having a hard time understanding this new lingo in the report 

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Colt57 said:

Are they small? I am really concerned about that lymph node... it seems so large, not that I know how large they get but, its bigger than the mass, I am scared out of my pants. Im having a hard time understanding this new lingo in the report 

Hi Colt.  Yes.  They are

Hi Colt.  Yes.  They are fairly small.

As others have said, in these situations, Google is most defintely NOT your friend.  I did the very same thing you are doing when I was first diagnosed, except my search engine of choice was Yahoo.  I got terrified when I was reading the articles.  Thankfully, I had a very fast referral to a urologic oncologist, and he set me straight.  Medical treatments have come a vcery long way in a fairly short time when it comes to kidney cancer.  Survival rates at all stages have improved tremendously.  My lesion was very small.....1.7cm when it finally came out.  The surgeon said the survival rate for people in my situation is in the 99% range.  IF your husband has something that needs to come out, it's pretty small, and if surgery is the option, it's likely to be laparoscopic (minimally invasive) and done robotically.We'll all be here for you and your husband if you need us.

• Colt57

Hi Colt.  Yes.  They are

Hi Colt.  Yes.  They are fairly small.

As others have said, in these situations, Google is most defintely NOT your friend.  I did the very same thing you are doing when I was first diagnosed, except my search engine of choice was Yahoo.  I got terrified when I was reading the articles.  Thankfully, I had a very fast referral to a urologic oncologist, and he set me straight.  Medical treatments have come a vcery long way in a fairly short time when it comes to kidney cancer.  Survival rates at all stages have improved tremendously.  My lesion was very small.....1.7cm when it finally came out.  The surgeon said the survival rate for people in my situation is in the 99% range.  IF your husband has something that needs to come out, it's pretty small, and if surgery is the option, it's likely to be laparoscopic (minimally invasive) and done robotically.We'll all be here for you and your husband if you need us.

thank you, that is the first

thank you, that is the first time today and took a deep breath..... it literally is making me sick 

• Kat23502
    Kat23502 Member Posts: 179 Member
    Colt57 said:

Hello. You said you were

Hello. You said you were concerned about the node. What are the measurements of the lymph node?

• Colt57
    Kat23502 said:

Hello. You said you were

Hello. You said you were concerned about the node. What are the measurements of the lymph node?

lymph node measures 3.4 x 1.8

lymph node measures 3.4 x 1.8 x 4.8 that seems super big to me 

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Colt57 said:

lymph node measures 3.4 x 1.8

lymph node measures 3.4 x 1.8 x 4.8 that seems super big to me 

Wait for the CT scan

Are they doing both a contrast and non-contrast CT scan? Of chest, abdomen and pelvis?

Just wait for the results of the CT scan. Your measurements for the lymph node doesn't make sense to me. You have contradicting information. At first you said the report said "possible enlarged lymph node", but the measurement, like you said, is large. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Best to wait for the CT scan and you'll find out more. Keep in mind even a CT scan won't tell you everything. You'll know more, but he might need more tests like a biopsy or if they are pretty sure it needs to come out, you won't know what it is until it comes out. They can't tell everything from imaging. Try not to jump ahead and worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet. That's probably the most important lesson all of us have had here that have been here awhile. Don't catastrophize. Just do the next indicated step. Breathe. Everything is going to be ok.

Todd

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited June 2018 #13
    Totally understand

Welcome, Colt

You've come to the right place.  We've all been through what you are going through right now.  I remember crying like a baby when I found out about my tumor.  I'd watch my youngest daughter sleep and wonder how I'd tell her the news that her dad had cancer.  It just sucks!

I wish I could tell you the fear you feel will go away tomorrow after the CT scan and you get some answers.  Unfortunately, this fear you feel sticks with you for some time.  But, eventually it starts to get better.

Let's wait until you get some results tomorrow then we'll be able to help answer questions you have.  Until then, try to relax and get some rest----I know easier said than done.

Please let us know what you find out and we'll help you through this journey.

Blessing--Stub 

• Kat23502
    Kat23502 Member Posts: 179 Member
    edited June 2018 #14
    todd121 said:

Wait for the CT scan

Are they doing both a contrast and non-contrast CT scan? Of chest, abdomen and pelvis?

Just wait for the results of the CT scan. Your measurements for the lymph node doesn't make sense to me. You have contradicting information. At first you said the report said "possible enlarged lymph node", but the measurement, like you said, is large. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Best to wait for the CT scan and you'll find out more. Keep in mind even a CT scan won't tell you everything. You'll know more, but he might need more tests like a biopsy or if they are pretty sure it needs to come out, you won't know what it is until it comes out. They can't tell everything from imaging. Try not to jump ahead and worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet. That's probably the most important lesson all of us have had here that have been here awhile. Don't catastrophize. Just do the next indicated step. Breathe. Everything is going to be ok.

Todd

I agree with Todd. They

I agree with Todd. They shouldn’t have reported “possible” enlarged node if it measures that size as that is quite large. This is my profession and I can tell you ultrasound is fantastic but, especially in the abdomen, bowel gas can hide and also accentuate things. CT is the gold standard so that will clear things up. Even if it is a node, that doesn’t mean it’s mets from the kidney mass. Try not to get lost in the what if’s. I know that’s difficult but its a scary time and all of the conflicting information when you really just don’t know can make concentrating on what you DO know and making good decisions difficult. 

• Tapman63
    Tapman63 Member Posts: 137 Member
    Colt

As others have said - for relief you've come to the right place.  I was diagnosed right before Christmas and this forum is pretty much the main thing that kept me from going out of my mind.  Just take things a step at a time - the main thing to remember is that a diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean the worst will happen.  Take deep breaths and don't do too much online searching (trust me, I know how hard that one is.  I failed miserably).  This is the place to be for the straight scoop.

Best wishes to you and your husband.  Please keep us up to date.

Jim

• Colt57
    edited June 2018 #16
    todd121 said:

Wait for the CT scan

Todd

I wonder if the report is

I wonder if the report is wrong.... it says hypoechoic focus measuring  3.4 x 1.8 x 4.8 CM, possibly an enlarged lymph node, seems like that huge for a LN 

• JoeyZ
    JoeyZ Member Posts: 210 Member
    edited June 2018 #17
    JoeyZ said:

To answer your question, if

To answer your question, if you hover over the profile pic you can get each person's story and info - if they have input it. I did and it answers what you asked me. Also, I found that reading others' stories helped calm me some in the beginning. Not that I'm an expert by any means. I've learned far more about cancer and various types of cancer than I ever even imagined existed, and just in these past few months!! It helped me to understand others were going through similar things, and some, far worse things. Take it easy.

Oh, and I still have enlarged lymph nodes in the chest. They are "keeping an eye on them." I sure hope they don't have to go back in. I'm not healed from the first one 13 weeks ago yet!! They are "stable" for now. 

I would be tempted to call the Oncologist's office and find out if someone is filling in for him and try to talk to them about your concerns. Just a thought.

• stub1969 said:

Totally understand

Welcome, Colt

You've come to the right place.  We've all been through what you are going through right now.  I remember crying like a baby when I found out about my tumor.  I'd watch my youngest daughter sleep and wonder how I'd tell her the news that her dad had cancer.  It just sucks!

I wish I could tell you the fear you feel will go away tomorrow after the CT scan and you get some answers.  Unfortunately, this fear you feel sticks with you for some time.  But, eventually it starts to get better.

Let's wait until you get some results tomorrow then we'll be able to help answer questions you have.  Until then, try to relax and get some rest----I know easier said than done.

Please let us know what you find out and we'll help you through this journey.

Blessing--Stub 

I had the same reaction as

I had the same reaction as stub.  I was a real tough guy who turned into a sobbing mess of a baby once I got my diagnosis, and I almost chickened out of my surgery. I now look back and laugh at myself.  But I also remember spending way too much time on the internet and getting more confused and scared about a lot of stuff that i read.  Like someone above said, it is best to wait for the CT scan results.  Also, don't be afraid to get a second opinion.  I think I had 3.  First surgeon was a local doctor who grimaced when he saw my CT scan and said my entire right kidney had to be removed.  Second surgeon was from Memorial Sloan Kettering, and I eventually went with him.  He performed an open partial nephrectomy, removing only 5% of my right kidney.  My insurance company initially denied my getting the surgery at MSKCC, and I had another opinion suggesting robotic/lap surgery.  But I had a complicated situation with a massive prior surgery to my abdomen that would have made the lap surgery difficult.  When you get the CT scan results, don't hesitate to ask more here.  The language of the interpretation of scan results can be quite confusing to say the least.