Fatty tissue

Pamcakes
Pamcakes Member Posts: 112 Member

DH had the first of many test yesterday here at MDA, as a follow up from his last PET/CT Scan where he has some hot spots. Yesterday was lymph node in the left pelvic area. We were told it was not a lymph node, rather fatty tissue, but still was a hot spot. We will get the resulT’s next week. does anyone have similar experiences? Could the fatty tissue light up on a PET? Of course now I’ve allowed my mind to wonder and have convinced myself DH has a rare form of fatty tissue cancer( I don’t even know if that is possiable)! At least I have managed to not google it!!

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    My understanding is that

My understanding is that areas can light up even though they're not cancerous. I believe inflammation can light up. My throat did because I had a sore throat. I can't remember what else can cause it to light up.

Jan

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Awww

Sorry for your concern and I'm also sorry I'm not able to help you, but don't read too much into it until you get the doctor's opinion.  It's good that you don't go search it on the internet either - stay away as it can only cause you more worry.  Wishing the best.

Kim

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Pam

The colon is attached to the body by a flange which is more or less aribbon of tissue which contains the blood flow too and from the colon and a system of lymph nodes . The area where the flange joins the body is usually surrounded by fatty tissue. cancers are removed as a field. They remove healthy tissue on each side of the tumour and all of the flange associaated with the tumour. The area removed is called a field. The idea is to get clear margins on three sides of the cancer. This is dertermined by patho;ogy. To give an example my field was around 13 inches long and contained 13 regional lymph nodes ,six of which contained cancer. My surgeon did warn me that I would have to wait for pathology to determine if the cancer had invaded the fatty tissue. He said that as a surgeon he could pick up on cancer in the colon and in the flange but it was very difficult to recognise in fatty tissue. They may have to be guided by scans to remove it. Ron.

• Pamcakes
    ron50 said:

Hi Pam

The colon is attached to the body by a flange which is more or less aribbon of tissue which contains the blood flow too and from the colon and a system of lymph nodes . The area where the flange joins the body is usually surrounded by fatty tissue. cancers are removed as a field. They remove healthy tissue on each side of the tumour and all of the flange associaated with the tumour. The area removed is called a field. The idea is to get clear margins on three sides of the cancer. This is dertermined by patho;ogy. To give an example my field was around 13 inches long and contained 13 regional lymph nodes ,six of which contained cancer. My surgeon did warn me that I would have to wait for pathology to determine if the cancer had invaded the fatty tissue. He said that as a surgeon he could pick up on cancer in the colon and in the flange but it was very difficult to recognise in fatty tissue. They may have to be guided by scans to remove it. Ron.

Thank you, that helps. when

Thank you, that helps. when he had the surgery to remove the tumor in July we were told he did have clear margins. I gues for now we will hurry up and wait until Wednesday to find out. We have a pelvic mri and PET/Ct

• Pamcakes
    It’s confirmed cancer in the

It’s confirmed cancer in the fatty tissue. They said they think it was seeding or perhaps missed during the emergency surgery( was done at home not MDA).aftere going back and reading reports the surgeon did recommend radiation and we went to the consult. We remember the radiation oncologist was very determined that Rich should have radiation. The oncologist said he did not need to have radiation as the chemo would kill anything. it all happened so fast we put all trust in the oncologisT. We also followed the oncologist recommendations to not have the PET scan When originally scheduled. I am very thankful we stopped trusting that oncologist and found a new team that actually works together, but sadly it was about 4 months into all of this.The plan now is 5.5 weeks of radiatio and XelodA. we will do the radiation at duke since it is closer and we have family there. Not trusting the options we have in our state/area.The clusters/tumor is 2.3 x0.9 cm, close to the rectom at the original location. then will head back to MD Anderson for surgery where the radiation oncologist will be on hand to zap anything they may need him to. Its crazy to look back as it’s been almost a year since Rich was diagnosed with stage 4 & realize how little we knew, how far we’ve come and how much we are still clueless about! But not all bad, still no new cancer and everything else was reported to be clear. Also they used the term curable for this situation, so I take that as a win nd a blessing from God we don’t have more at this time! 

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    some experience

Hi there - It's been a while but I have had several tumors in fat in the abdomen.  Started out in the omentum, removed that.  Next time the tumors were in the base of my pelvis in fatty/soft tissue.  Yes it does light up if they tumors are big enough.  Mine needed to get to 3/4-1 inch before they showed up, but that's me. I've had them removed by surgery, but when there are microscopic bits, it still returns.  Hope this helps, Traci

• Pamcakes
    Tracy thank you for your

Tracy thank you for your experiences. This helps me understand more!

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry

So sorry to hear about the new diagnosis.  My doctors were very proactive on getting that cancer at bay and took extra precautions even though chemo was not recommended that's what my radiologist suggested so went with it.  Curable is a good word and if they are going to proceed with more treatment to combat this that is a good thing.  Wishing him the best outcome.

Kim

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I've brought this up before,

I've brought this up before, but PET scans can light up noncancers. My PET scan during chemo, lit up three lymph nodes, one at my neck, one at each armpit, the Onc then, was pondering whether it had spread or was another primary cancer. Either way had me scared [so I know that feeling], all do to a faulty or inaccurate PET scan. I'm sorry it turned out to be "hot" and hope they get it treated post haste....................................Dave