The Journey Begins

Hey Everyone. I want to thank all of you for your help and encouragement. Just took my Chemo (Xeloda) and my journey begins. What were some of your first week experiences taking your Chemo? 

Comments

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    The chemo wasn't a big deal

The chemo wasn't a big deal other than the awful taste and having to remember to take it every 12 hours.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Insidious

It sneaks up on you slowly.  Other than an upset stomach, I would not expect too much in the first week of Xeloda, maybe a little brain fog, maybe some mouth sores. One recommendation I followed was to use a heavy lotion (eucerin) on the hands and feet daily.  

Are you also going to do oxaliplatin?  That is the one that hits hard.

• Otto605
    Otto605 Member Posts: 14
    First couple cycles

My first cycle was like ‘Is that all you got?’  I had almost no reaction.

Then I did the second cycle and was up all night puking.

Third cycle started with Emend which solved the nausea problem.

My advice?  Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your medical team.  Plus, don’t think the reaction to one cycle will be the reaction for all the other cycles.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Insidious

It sneaks up on you slowly.  Other than an upset stomach, I would not expect too much in the first week of Xeloda, maybe a little brain fog, maybe some mouth sores. One recommendation I followed was to use a heavy lotion (eucerin) on the hands and feet daily.  

Absolutely

Sandia is right, get yourself a bucket load of lotion or moisterizer and keep your hands and feet slathered. Once those sore start appearing, they won't go away, as chemo slows the healing process. 

I didn't do the Xelodo, but FOLFOX.  

Mouth sores are also something to keep a handle on. I can't remember the dosage, but I would swish with salt, baking soda and warm water.  It worked really well, but if I missed a day, those sores would pop up. 

Loose bowels can be a problem. I purchased Depend underwear. I had a little saying 'Depends are my friends'

Good luck! 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Xeloda

The only thing that was recommended was to take it with food.  My treatment with that was really nothing.  Didn't get the side effects with the hands and feet that can sometimes happen but did get somewhat fatigued but was having radiation at the same time so I'm thinking the fatigue was radiation and not the pills.  Actually the pill was easy to deal with for me.  Hope that you have similar results.

Kim

• SonicSedition
    SonicSedition Member Posts: 30

Insidious

No oxaliplatin, just the

No oxaliplatin, just the Xeloda 1500mg morning, 1000 evening for 5 1/2 weeks. My intial recommended dose was higher but my Oncologist brought it down because I am also CKD stage 3. He didn't want to kill my kidneys in the process. I do have some Gold Bond thick hand cream that works well in the winter when my hands chap. Hope that one will work. Also found Prevention Oncology Mouth Rinse on Amazon that everyone swears by. Guess time will tell.

• SonicSedition
    Otto605 said:

First couple cycles

My first cycle was like ‘Is that all you got?’  I had almost no reaction.

Then I did the second cycle and was up all night puking.

Third cycle started with Emend which solved the nausea problem.

My advice?  Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your medical team.  Plus, don’t think the reaction to one cycle will be the reaction for all the other cycles.

Believe me I know it's coming

Believe me I know it's comingWink I'm keeping my stomach with something in it most of the time. And the Dr did give me Zofran for the nausea. I had a neighbor that hardly had anything go on except nausea and mild hand foot. However, others here got it all, so I realize there is no "normal".

• SonicSedition

Xeloda

The only thing that was recommended was to take it with food.  My treatment with that was really nothing.  Didn't get the side effects with the hands and feet that can sometimes happen but did get somewhat fatigued but was having radiation at the same time so I'm thinking the fatigue was radiation and not the pills.  Actually the pill was easy to deal with for me.  Hope that you have similar results.

Kim

Seems like there is no normal

Seems like there is no normal like I was saying. I hope the plus side is that with all the meds I have been taking, (not chemo) I haven't gotten side effects from any of them which the Dr was even surprised. Hopefully this follows suit Wink

• Annabelle41415

Seems like there is no normal

Seems like there is no normal like I was saying. I hope the plus side is that with all the meds I have been taking, (not chemo) I haven't gotten side effects from any of them which the Dr was even surprised. Hopefully this follows suit Wink

Good

I'm glad that you haven't had any problems either.  Hope it continues.  Keep us updated.

Kim

• lisarjxo
    lisarjxo Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2018 #11
    Folfox

I just received my first dose yesterday.I got zofran emendand decadron. Still felt queasy . When I got home I took compazine and zofran again .No vomiting but still queasy. Anything cold in my mouth my jaws lock upI am referring just taking few candies  on the table!!! I have the 48 hour pump going as well. Hope I can handle this and get back to work Blessings to all....

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    lisarjxo said:

Folfox

I just received my first dose yesterday.I got zofran emendand decadron. Still felt queasy . When I got home I took compazine and zofran again .No vomiting but still queasy. Anything cold in my mouth my jaws lock upI am referring just taking few candies  on the table!!! I have the 48 hour pump going as well. Hope I can handle this and get back to work Blessings to all....

Hello and welcome to the forum

You will get through it. Its not going to be fun, but you bully through. 

I found the cold in the mouth thing, went away after the first few treatments. It used to make me feel like I'd had an electric shock in my mouth, and then my throat would contract. Wild! 

Why don't you pop on to the forum home page and post an introductory thread. Here is the link https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128

Tru

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    lisarjxo said:

Folfox

I had the jaw thing too

It felt like a lightening bolt, and I couldn't eat.  First bite(s) only.  After the first bite or so of food, I could eat normally.  However, if I didn't eat, it would "reset" in about 10 minutes (if a phone call interrupted lunch or something.)  I prepared for it by starting eating with a pea-sized bite of bread or a tapioca pearl, which I spat out if I couldn't manage.  Then I could go on to eat normally.

No fun.  Good luck,

Alice

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    lisarjxo said:

Folfox

PS - you might want to add ginger to your regimen

ginger tea, candies or capsules can also help with the nausea.  Supposedly it enhances the efficacy of the antinauseants.  I found for me that Ativan, in addition to Emend, decadron, and zofran gave me the final boost I needed.  I got the ativan in an IV push at the end of the clinic portion of chemo, because that's when I derived the most benefit.

• Annabelle41415
    How you feeling

Just wondered how you are feeling.  Hope you are doing ok.  Check in if you get a chance.

Kim