Breathing issues

Wannabeatit
Wannabeatit Member Posts: 100 Member

Funny. I just read Northwoodsgirl’s post and maybe it has something to do with my question. Has anyone had breathing issues through their chemo. I’m talking about just going upstairs or a slight incline or a larger meal and having to take long breaths for at least 5 minutes to get back on track. It started at the first infusion but my chemo doctor just informed me that it is not a chemo related symptom. I had a clear CT but she is sending me for a special CT to look for a possible blood clot. This kind of issue(blood clots on the lung) happened to my father also. Not to say that it is a clot so just wondering if any of you ladies had the same thing happen to them. I would rather not do another CT if I can avoid it. I just had one two weeks ago.

Comments

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    I had it after chemo #5. I

I had it after chemo #5. I was very anemic and all blood counts were very low which caused the breathing issues. I was right on the edge of needing a transfusion but didn't end up needing it. I couldn't exercise for a few weeks. Counts went up pretty quick with a chemo break and the issue resolved. It's odd it happened with the first chemo though.

• Wannabeatit
    I will say my worst time was

I will say my worst time was #6 and my blood counts were way down .4 a day before #6. I did bring that up to her. They were low right from the first time. It would make sense to me that my low numbers could be the culprit. She is sending me for more blood work so we’ll see if that idea will be eliminated.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    I have not had a clot during

I have not had a clot during chemo but I know others that have, but I did have a pulmonary embolism a week after another abdominal surgery. My advice is get it throughly checked out. Bloodclots are nothing to mess with.

• Wannabeatit
    Soup52 said:

I have not had a clot during

I have not had a clot during chemo but I know others that have, but I did have a pulmonary embolism a week after another abdominal surgery. My advice is get it throughly checked out. Bloodclots are nothing to mess with.

Yes it looks like I will have

Yes it looks like I will have the test tomorrow or Friday. To late to back pedal lol.

• Jbird118
    Jbird118 Member Posts: 3 Member
    I had the same problem after

I had the same problem after my #5 treatment. My red blood count was extremely low. I could not walk to the next room without being completely out of breath. Had to rest and take deep breaths for at least 5 minutes. Eventully had to have a blood transfusion before I could have another treatment.

• Wannabeatit
    Well the test came back all

Well the test came back all clear so I am thinking it is related to my blood counts which 5 weeks after chemo are still low. Neutrifils are at .9 and 8 others including red blood cell count red flagged. That has to tire you out. I agree with you Jbird118 that it is the blood counts. I hope it gets better soon. I have double knee replacement surgery in Sept.

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Glad you don’t have blood clots

So glad to hear your shortness of breath are most likely from your low blood counts and not blood clots. The chemo, radiation and surgery in a short timeframe and for so many weeks it’s a wonder anyone wouldn’t be short of breath and fatigued to the bone. 

• Wannabeatit
    Yes very lucky it isn’t blood

Yes very lucky it isn’t blood Clots! I think it is slowly improving which makes sense. 

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    Lung inflammation

I, too, have had noticeable breathing issues since starting chemo. It started a few days after round 1 and lasted two weeks, mostly resolving in the 3rd week. After round 2 (two weeks) ago, it got bad again and as of today (start of week 3) it's still bad.

Before chemo, I could run up stairs without thinking about it and I compete in dog agility with my dogs -- requiring sprints and running. Now, I can't go up the stairs without stopping at the top to catch my breath and on the agility field I just can't come close to finishing a course with my dog. Exercise is a real challenge right now, as I live in a hilly location and so even going for a walk up the road has become a little torturous and slow.

A PET scan three weeks ago showed no clots.

I thought it might be related to my red blood cell counts being a little lower from the taxol/carbo, but my onc said it's probably inflammation in my lungs as the chemo fights the tumors that have spread there.

• Wannabeatit
    I had the same issues with

I had the same issues with stairs. I am doing a lot better this week and hoping it is behind me now. 

• Jbird118
    Jbird118 Member Posts: 3 Member
    I had the same problem after

I had the same problem after chemo #5 and had to delay #6 until my red and white blood cell counts were up. Had to get a blood tranfusion before they did #6

• Wannabeatit
    edited June 2018 #13
    My blood counts are still

My blood counts are still down 6 weeks after my last chemo (#6). Week 5 neutrifils .9 and week 6 .7. They are going down instead of up. More blood work on Monday.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member

My blood counts are still

My blood counts are still down 6 weeks after my last chemo (#6). Week 5 neutrifils .9 and week 6 .7. They are going down instead of up. More blood work on Monday.

Darn it! I hope they figure

Darn it! I hope they figure it out and they go up soon.

• Wannabeatit
    Got more blood work on Monday

Got more blood work on Monday and they are still down at .8 and now my RBC is red flagged when it had been up in the normal range . It is just below normal but my breathing issues are still there. Once in a while I feel like things are normal then back to feeling shaky etc. Not even sure where my replacement doc is to do more blood work. Office is closed tight. No answering machine no note on the door. Weird. There was suppose to be someone there.