Relay for Life

CRashster
CRashster Member Posts: 241 Member

Anyone on here do this? I'm thinking about joining one here and not sure what to expect. Looks cool, but locally there doesn't seem to be much info.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    I did it for a few years

For the tshirts. Mostly other cancers.

icemantoo

• Retcenturion
    Retcenturion Member Posts: 240 Member
    Went as a chaperone

My child's school needed chaperones for the overnight walk about 5 years ago. It was emotional as almost everyone has been affected by Cancer. I think it might be hard as someone with Cancer, but you'll meet many survivors of all ages. You will probably know someone there too that is in the same situation we are with Cancer.

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    I missed my first 2 or 3 because

I was having or just had surgery for cancer.  They are fun to participate in but each one is a bit different.  Each once has an employee of ACS assigned to work with one or more Relays, and a huge group of volunteers who do the work-some cancer survivors, some family members and some who come from the communitiy.

The planning begins last year, pretty much as soon as the current year relay is wrapped up.  You can form a team or just sign up as an idividual.  Major goals are to bring awarness to the need for cures ( of various types of cancer); educate the publice about cancer causes and ways to help prevent it and treatments available, make people aware of what ACS does, Thank the volunteers and sponsors, and raise $$$$$$$.

The guy who founded it walked thru the night to raise money for the laps he did, and all the money was donated to ACS.   His attitude was that Cancer never slept, so he wouldn't either.

So now there are laps or a walk, a celebration of survivorship-with meals, treats, etc., raffles, stuff to purchase that has been donated, recognition, entertainment, contests, banners, relay batons to decorate, luminaria after dark (paper bags with lights to honor those who have passed away.)  The list goes on and constantly being modified to the needs and resources of the community where it is held.  i.e., when the high schools put in artificial turf, they didn't want people "camping" on it in conjunction with the relay around the track.  Now ours is on 2 blocks of downtown and runs from about 9 am to 9 pm.

Hope this gives you an idea of what and why.  If you can attend nothing more, try to get to the survivor celebration; and lunch or brunch if there is one.

Go for It.    And it sounds like the publicity person isn't putting out much yet.  Go on The ACS site, look for the Relay section and find one in your region or city.  It will give to names or emails for contacts.

Good Luck and Hugs,

donna_lee

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Deadly serious for me

The Relay for Life is deadly serious for me. It's always windy and there are arches of balloons all around. Since I'm allergic to airborne latex, I don't want to add any additional drama to the event by having to dig out my epi-pen and get hauled off to the ER. So I have to just say no thanks. 

• Steph85
    Steph85 Member Posts: 166 Member
    Yes!

I am doing this in July! I live in oregon so I'm so happy its in the summer! I did race for the cure in march 2017 and it snowed haha! 

• CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241 Member
    I joined.

Gonna get a team together. I don't care that they give other cancer more attention, cancer is cancer. I read that they help cancer families with accomadations, that was the convincer for me.

• ToyTrainman
    ToyTrainman Member Posts: 5
    Stopped after many years

We participated for quite a few years here in SoCal, immediate family as well as extended family. We have both family and friends who are survivors who also walked with us. Unfortunately my heart attack in 2011 brought a screeching halt to my participation but my BetterHalf, daughter and grandson continued with their support for several more years before the local team organizers faded out. 

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member

Stopped after many years

We participated for quite a few years here in SoCal, immediate family as well as extended family. We have both family and friends who are survivors who also walked with us. Unfortunately my heart attack in 2011 brought a screeching halt to my participation but my BetterHalf, daughter and grandson continued with their support for several more years before the local team organizers faded out. 

This year...

This year, instead of several area communities each having their own Relay for Life, they combined them into one. I haven't had a chance to find out how it went compared to the last year or so. These things are definitely labor-intensive to make happen.

So glad to hear that your family as able to be involved for a while at least. Sorry to hear your heart attack put the kabosh on your participation.

Jerzy

BTW today I was telling a friend about the train museum in Balboa Park (San Diego). Don't know where you are in SoCal, but considering you're "ToyTrainman," you've probably been there (or should consider going... again Laughing ).