Anyone have a false positive cologuard test and taken a second?

deedee528
deedee528 Member Posts: 1

Hi I'm feeling silly being so nervous about the colonoscopy because

people on this site have really much more to deal with but I took a cologuard

test and almost did not send in the sample because it was not a typical fecal sample.

It was not during a time where I was shall we say 'smooth' LOL.  Anyway, shockingly

test was positive so now I'm thinking of taking a second test and I now this time I'm 

going to have to pay boko bucks.  Has anyone had any of the above including a 

second test?  I can't be the only one in the universe.  Thank You   Dee Dee

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    If it were me

If it were me, I would go straight for the colonoscopy, but we all have different considerations.

• jodil
    jodil Member Posts: 42
    please go for the colonoscopy

I understand the reluctance in getting a colonoscopy but PLEASE consider going thru w/ it. Last October, at age 59, I was diagnosed w/ MMMT, a rare form of uterine cancer. The day before my hysterectomy, I had to have a colonoscopy as a matter of course to be prepped for surgery. I had never had a colonoscopy before and really wished I had! They discovered stage 3 colon cancer! So, in addition to dealing w/ just the one cancer (which is bad enough) I now am taking 6 mnths of oral chemo for colon cancer. And as it turned out, the prep and colonoscopy itself was not as bad as I thought it would be. I wished I had done it years ago! Can I ask, what is your biggest fear/reluctance in getting the procedure?

• Twinzma
    Twinzma Member Posts: 236 Member
    It's normal to be nervous

It's normal to be nervous for your first colonoscopy. You can not however jepordize your health over your fear. Find a good GI, he can prescribe to you a seditive before you arrive to be more relaxed. This is a test that can SAVE YOUR LIFE. Honestly the colonoscopy isn't the worst part, the prep is. You drink a fluid and then you completly void your bowels until it's water coming out. It's no picnic but I am sure you have had diareaha in your life so that's what it is. Please Please PLEASE get tested. My husband, is Stage 4 with 30 mets to his liver, had he only gone sooner maybe he would not be this advanced. I am due for mine in June, I have to have them annually. Last year they asked how I felt afterwards and I remember saying like I had one too many margaritas. I then I questioned my husband the whole way home why I couldn't have any more margaritas. Embarassed

• Mstads
    Mstads Member Posts: 1
    Positive Cologuard

Same results for me, received phone call from GI doc requesting appointment for colonoscopy after referral from my regular doctor.  No one called me to tell me that my Cologuard result was positive so imagine my surprise when the GI office called.  I'm happy to read all these posts about others experiences with positive Cologuard results and negative follow up colonoscopys.  Thank you for all the awesome feed, it's been really helpful for me to stay positive!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Cologaurd

We have had many folks who have had false positive cologaurds, but they all went ahead and had a colonoscopy, which in my opinion was the wisest choice. 

For all of the false positives out there, there is one true Cancer diagnosis, and you might be the one. 

Its worth the money, inconvenience, prep just to hear the words 'You are all clear'.

Tru

• steveja
    steveja Member Posts: 41
    Cologuard - lots of false-positives.

https://www.cologuardtest.com/hcp/about-cologuard/performance-effectiveness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitivity_and_specificity

So cologaurd has a fine 92% true-positive rate, but has a rather poor 13% false-positive rate.  IOW 13% of those who are really OK, get a positive result.

There is an excellent chance you have a false-positive, but a second cologuard won't tell you much.    I suggest you get the colonoscopy.

• Scribble
    Scribble Member Posts: 2
    Positive cologuard going for colonoscopy

i have had a positive cologuard test and will be having a colonoscopy next week. I am very worried of course but reading all your posts have been helpful. I was wondering about any tricks to drink down the prep easier as I was supposed to have had a colonoscopy before and could not get the prep down at all! Had to cancel appointment. This time I HAVE to be successfully prepped as it is important to have the test since I did get a positive result and am extremely scared. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Scribble said:

Positive cologuard going for colonoscopy

i have had a positive cologuard test and will be having a colonoscopy next week. I am very worried of course but reading all your posts have been helpful. I was wondering about any tricks to drink down the prep easier as I was supposed to have had a colonoscopy before and could not get the prep down at all! Had to cancel appointment. This time I HAVE to be successfully prepped as it is important to have the test since I did get a positive result and am extremely scared. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. 

How I do it

May not work for you, but I'll share, just in case. 

Since I joined this forum, five years ago, we have lost countless forum members. Some I became very close with, others I admired and have benifited from their words. 

When I drink the drink, I think of one friend/forum member with every sip (gulp). Thinking how they would love to be in my position, drinking the driink, but they are dead. I drink it for them and for me. 

Try to think of others who are suffering, or have suffered and passed, and look at it as a blessing. I know, hard, because it really is disgusting stuff. 

Good luck on your upcoming procedure and may you be clear of anything nasty. 

Tru

• Scribble
    Scribble Member Posts: 2
    Trubrit said:

How I do it

Since I joined this forum, five years ago, we have lost countless forum members. Some I became very close with, others I admired and have benifited from their words. 

When I drink the drink, I think of one friend/forum member with every sip (gulp). Thinking how they would love to be in my position, drinking the driink, but they are dead. I drink it for them and for me. 

Try to think of others who are suffering, or have suffered and passed, and look at it as a blessing. I know, hard, because it really is disgusting stuff. 

Tru

How I do it

Thanks Trubrit! Putting it that way certainly makes drinking a disgusting drink an easy thing to do!  That is an amazing idea. Thanks for responding.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Trubrit said:

How I do it

Tru

Thanks

Tru:

Very philosophical (which I like).  Thanks for the perspective.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Yikes

Well for one thing it can cause false positives, but if you have had a positive result go in for a real test - meaning a full colonoscopy and whether your poop was smooth or not doesn't matter.  The only test that matters is the real deal.  It's nothing something that we want but obviously you should.  Don't pay the money for another test - it's not worth the money.

Kim