Well Shoot

Bay Area Guy
Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member

While I am virtually cetain this is not the result of my chromophobe RCC and resultant surgery, I figured I'd post it to just because it's another of life's frustrating moments.

When I went to bed last night, little did I know I would wake up in the morning with a very plugged up ear and severe hearing loss.  A similar thing happened four years ago to my left ear.  I was walking up the stairs to brush my teeth and bang, I had about a 30% loss of hearing in my left ear and a plugged up feeling.  My primary care doc thought it was associated with a possible inner ear infection, so I took antibiotics for a while, to no avail.  About two or three months later, with no change, I went to an ENT, who  said, oh, you had sudden hearing loss.  Let's try high dose prednisone and an anti-viral.  Other than the typical moonface you get from prednisone, there was no effect.  I found out later that the success of that treatment requires it to be started within about ten days of the onset of symptoms.  So you better believe that this time, I was on the horn to both the office that provided my hearing aids, and to the ENT that I saw before, who squeezed me into his schedule for the morning.  So, I'm back on the prednisone treatment along with an antiviral.  And this is a week ahead of when I go to Japan, Thailand and Singapore for a five week trip.

The good thing is that I'll know before I leave if the treatment will work on my right ear this time (since it's less than 24 hours since the hearing loss happened).  So, I'm trying to think happy thoughts for now.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Been there done that

Lost 70% of hearing in right ear to tinnites about 14 months ago. Nothing to do with RCC 14 years before that.

icemantoo

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    edited April 2018 #3
    Oh dear always happens at the worst time

Oh dear always happens at the worst time I started to suffer hearing  in right areabout 5 to 6 years ago  with bouts of vertigo in between 

I think the loss was about 20% which means I can hear quite well  in a normal circumstances but struggle when I’m in a noisy environment

Did the Hearing  restore itself after the first time I hope that it did

Your trip sounds amazing you have to keep us posted 

Annie

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Bad timing but at least you

Bad timing but at least you got on it right away. Your trip does sound amazing and I hope your hearing starts improving quickly before you go.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Shoot is right!

Let's hope the meds work for you, Bay.  On the flip side, the trip sounds amazing.  

Stub

• Supersum
    Supersum Member Posts: 109 Member
    I have had wax build up

I once had sudden hearing loss which turned out to be due to wax build up reaching a critical point. I needed an ENT to use a special tool to remove it. I assume what you are suffering is not as simple as this.

Sounds like a nice trip you have planned should be a lot to pack in for five weeks hope you can give us an update when things are underway.

• Bay Area Guy
    Thanks all.

Thanks all.

Ice, sorry to hear of your hearing loss.  It's something we all take for granted until it's gone.  I'm not a particularly religious person (spiritual, yes, but not religious), but I'm talking to the Big Guy pretty m uch 24/7 right now.

Supersum, when I woke up with this yesterday morning, I immediately called for appointments with both the ENT who I had previously seen about four years ago when my left ear went (not quite as seriously) and the audiologist I have been seeing who provided the hearing aids.  As luck would have it, the audiologist appointment went first, which was good because the audiologist for the ENT is on an extended leave or absence, so they would have somply referred me to the audiologist for a hearing test anyway.  But to answer your question, both of them looked quite closely into my ears with their equipment and saw no wax buildup that explained the hearing loss.

Wehave, the left ear never did recover.  However, I didn't get that treatment right away as instead of going to an ENT, I went to my primary care physician and he gave treatment assuming an inner ear infection.

To everyone else, thanks for the good wishes.  We've been looking forward to this trip for a while.  Plenty of great food in all three countries and since my wife is originally from Singapore, we'll be seeing lots of relatives and, but the time we get there, I hope I can actually hear them!

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member
    Best wishes

May this all get sorted out so you can take that fabulous trip and enjoy time with relatives free of worry.  Take care -

• Bay Area Guy
    Back from Asia

Just an update.  We're back from Asia.  The food in Thailand and Singapore is always amazingly good.  And the food and sites in Japan are simply spectacular.  If you've ever had the urge to go there, but weren't sure, GO!

As for my hearing, I had it tested in Bangkok of all places.  It showed a slight improvement in my right ear at the upper and lower frequences, but virtually no change in the middle frequencies.  Most of what I hear in my right ear sounds like I'm listening to something underwater. I have an appointment on Friday with my audiologist to get a more comprehensive test and see what the alternatives are.....because there are ALWAYS alternatives.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Welcome Home!

I have a couple friends that traveled to Asia for business.  Thier stories weren't real glamorous, so I've never had a desire to travel to Asia.  They must have traveled to the wrong location or did very little sight-seeing.  I'm glad you are back safe and sound. 

Stub

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    I had that happen a couple of

I had that happen a couple of times and everything sounded as if I was wearing a helmet!! How awful. The doctor even pierced my eardrum to see if it relieved anything and it did not! I just took time and went away on its own. Good luck and I am happy to know you are living and enjoying life.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    So glad you had a great trip.

So glad you had a great trip. I've always wanted to go but the interminable flight time is stopping me. I just can't sit for so long in one place. ADD, lol. Hope doc can take care of your hearing issues. I've had that happen too and it's very annoying. Mine also went away with time. Hoping yours will too.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    I had 80% loss

for 3 years as a kid.  Not fun.  Mine has not recurred to that extent but was determined to be due to a "eustacian tube dysfunction".  Allergies?  Can make it flare up.  Flying is my worst enemy, but it doesn't stop me.  I just know it'll take 2-3 days to hear again.

Donna~