Muscle spasms?

Ruthmomto4
Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member

dows anyone get severe muscle spasms? My husband gets them  in his side a lot tonight he got one on the right side low past his incision. It was pretty painful he was pacing and in agony.  He got them before his surgery but they were getting worse, this I am guessing was more painful due to just having surgery. It ended up spasming his whole upper body. Of course I look things up and it says liver failure but I know that’s not the case at the moment. I had some muscle relaxers left from his chemo hiccups and made him take one. 

My patience is awful, I feel so bad. I just want one day without a problem. Who knew asking for one day was too much to ask? Ugh!

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    It is not asking too much

Keep asking until you get that day, that one blessed day. 

I can't help with the muscle spasms. Thankfully nothing I had after surgery. I can't even imagine how painful. Just laughing or coughing is bad enough. 

Tru

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    I have cramps after an

I have cramps after an infusion and they behave like spasms. They are due to the chemo causing diarreah which drains fluids and electrolytes. I usually increase my electrolyte supplements after an infusion but I get the cramps anyways. They usually occur in my calfs or feet though. Electrolytes are used by the brain to signal muscles so lack of them can cause problems in that function. Electrolytes normally come from regular food but sometimes we don't get enough. Before cancer I used to run and play tennis a lot and would just increase my salt intake as it's a cheap way to get electrolytes. The others are magnesium, calcium and potassium. I have calcium and magnesium tablets and I also use a supplement called Nuun which is a tablet that dissolves in water.

You might have him see his doctor as the problem was before the surgery. You could also check his bloodwork through his hospital's online portal. My experience is that they take a ton of tests before surgery so you could see if there are some areas below or above normal ranges and those might help with figuring out the reasons for the spasms.

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    If you can’t

get through one day without a problem [been there done that :) ]  try to look for the good hour....

you are such a kind and devoted caretaker, I hope your husband realizes how very lucky he is to have you. 

Hope tomorrows a better day.  And Happy Mothers Day to you 

pam 

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    I am not feeling very kindthe time three.

it seems every night he has a problem. Tonight he was freezing cold with chills but no temp, just low temp of 97.6. It sent me into a tailspin and yet another night of stress. 

Mike, I have been giving him magnesium since checking his blood results everyday of surgery became like a religion for me. It was super low, potassium, calcium remained good throughout the time he was there. Again, i can’t go in for his recheck Monday. My 15 year old daughter has ulcerative colitis and is getting her second infusion of Entyvio that day. I can’t trust him to say anything either. I am at my end of tolerance I think.  It’s getting to be beyond the stress I can handle.

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777

I am not feeling very kindthe time three.

it seems every night he has a problem. Tonight he was freezing cold with chills but no temp, just low temp of 97.6. It sent me into a tailspin and yet another night of stress. 

Mike, I have been giving him magnesium since checking his blood results everyday of surgery became like a religion for me. It was super low, potassium, calcium remained good throughout the time he was there. Again, i can’t go in for his recheck Monday. My 15 year old daughter has ulcerative colitis and is getting her second infusion of Entyvio that day. I can’t trust him to say anything either. I am at my end of tolerance I think.  It’s getting to be beyond the stress I can handle.

There was an article in the

There was an article in the NY Times yesterday about a lady that received a diagnosis of cancer from her radiologist but it was a pre-cancer; which could be removed and she found that out later. But she had some time where she had to be the caregiver for a few other people where she wanted some space to deal with her own problems.

Caregiving is tough stuff and it's hard to do it by yourself or without knowing that there's an endpoint. It helps if you can find help. I know a lot of us here like to tackle problems by ourself but there are the kinds of problems where you have to ask for help from others. I try to be self-sufficient but I've had to ask for various kinds of  help from other people in addition to help from immediate family. Usually I'm the guy providing help.

I've been feeling really cold lately too but it's because of the weather in our area. It's been unseasonably cold at night the past couple of weeks. Daytime temperatures can be normal. Right now I have three shirts and a down coat on inside. It could also be not enough calories.

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Sorry

that you are rightly feeling so stressed.  I hope better days ahead.  In the meantime is there a friend or family member that can sit with him during the day to give you some relief?   I understand you are carrying a very heavy burden.  wishing you a calm uneventful night

pam  

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Awww

I'm hearing your stress and feeling so bad for you.  All you can do is make sure you keep in contact with the surgeon at this point and make sure they are aware of everything.  Sounds like you need a break too.  It would be nice if you can get away for a bit just to take some special time for you, pedicure, manicure/massage.  You also need to destress and it can affect all of you.  Hope he feels better soon.

Kim

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    I have them all the time. I

I have them all the time. I take cyclobenoprine and I've learned how to use my diaghpram and breathing to looen the muscles. It actually works if you do it the minute the spasm starts. I've been in the ER three times this year to get morphine and sleep it off. They are PAINFUL. Labor pain painful only no break between contractions. 

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    I actually have to tell at

I actually have to tell at mysf. Breathe. Just use your breathing. Breathe. And then I cry it's going to stop it's going to stop just breathe. Mine got worse after my surgery too. Look up how to stop spasms using your diaphragm and get him a replacement bottlenpf muscle relaxers.