Was diagnosed on Friday the 13th

I  had a CT scan Yesterday. I was told it was high grade but not too sure what it means. I am seeing my oncologist for the first time next Monday. I am lucky to be in Australia where the treatment will be free. I can see there is a new vocabulary that I will learn as I go along.

I was told that they will operate very soon, probably next week. The waiting has been the worse and not knowing if it has spread or not. I can only live one day at a time, accept the things I cannot change but it is so hard.

i am so scared. I lost a very good friend three years ago to uterine cancer. 

Any advice would be wonderful. Thank you for listening to me

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Fraussie, first thing I would

Fraussie, first thing I would recommend is to try and take a breath.  A CT is NOT the typical way cancer is diagnosed.  They usually do some sort of endometrial biopsy or D&C to get a sample to see what they might be dealing with, and only then, go to surgery which will ultimately let you know what you are dealing with.  Hopefully you are going to be working with a gynecologic oncologist - someone who specializes in cancer 'below the belt'.  I am sure, once they find out what is going on, they will make a plan on how to treat it - and then you work that plan.  

Please try not to get too far ahead of yourself here and see what you are dealing with.  Know that all the women here will welcome you with open arms.  

• Fraussie
    Fraussie Member Posts: 11

Fraussie, first thing I would

Fraussie, first thing I would recommend is to try and take a breath.  A CT is NOT the typical way cancer is diagnosed.  They usually do some sort of endometrial biopsy or D&C to get a sample to see what they might be dealing with, and only then, go to surgery which will ultimately let you know what you are dealing with.  Hopefully you are going to be working with a gynecologic oncologist - someone who specializes in cancer 'below the belt'.  I am sure, once they find out what is going on, they will make a plan on how to treat it - and then you work that plan.  

Please try not to get too far ahead of yourself here and see what you are dealing with.  Know that all the women here will welcome you with open arms.  

Thank you

thank you for your support. They did the biopsy late last month and removed a polyp. From the test they discovered it was high grade. My n’est step was the CT scan to have a better look. I will see a gynaecologist oncologist next Monday and hopefully will have my surgery next week. Time seems to have stopped.

• MugsBugs
    MugsBugs Member Posts: 111 Member
    Wise words of advice from NoTimeForCancer

We have all been where you are and we know how scary this is for you.  Try not to worry too much (easier said than done - I know) until you know exactly what you are dealing with.  The ladies here are full of wisdom and words of encouragement.

Good luck!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Fraussie, thank you so much

Fraussie, thank you so much for telling us a little more - it makes sense as you say.  Most of us have gotten a pre-surgery CT, and it sounds like you had one - again which makes sense.  It sounds like you are getting all teed-up for surgery, so try to take a breath.  Once your surgery is over you will get a better sense of what it is, and they will tell you how to deal with.  This is SO overwhelming - it is so unknown - it is ok to be scared.  We are here for you.

• Fraussie
    Thank you

it is nice to have people who went through this give their input

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    edited April 2018 #7
    Encouragement

You can only tackle this one step at a time and we will be here to help.  On the positive side, when I was diagnosed with a grade 3 cancer at age 65, I figured I wouldn't see 70. I'll be 72 in July. 

• Fraussie
    ConnieSW said:

Encouragement

You can only tackle this one step at a time and we will be here to help.  On the positive side, when I was diagnosed with a grade 3 cancer at age 65, I figured I wouldn't see 70. I'll be 72 in July. 

This is encouraging

i just turned 66 and we retired back to Australia from the USA. I have so much to do, so much to see. I told my husband that when I get through this we will take a helicopter flight around Hobart where we live and land on top of Mount Wellington. Then we will take a trip around the world.

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Fraussie said:

This is encouraging

i just turned 66 and we retired back to Australia from the USA. I have so much to do, so much to see. I told my husband that when I get through this we will take a helicopter flight around Hobart where we live and land on top of Mount Wellington. Then we will take a trip around the world.

Yes, you will!

You've gotten wonderful encouragement and advice thus far.  Save your energy for healing from surgery!  You can research and learn more in the time you'll be down after surgery.  Cheering you on!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Fraussie, welcome to our

Fraussie, welcome to our group :) I’m sorry you have to go through this but we will all be here to encourage you. I was diagnosed with high grade endo cancer in 2015 and after all my treatments I’m so far clear . There is much hope for us and it sounds like you are getting quick access to treatment . Best wishes and keep us posted .

• MugsBugs
    MugsBugs Member Posts: 111 Member
    Fraussie said:

This is encouraging

Helicopter ride sounds wonderful!

One thing about getting a cancer diagnosis is that you realize that you need to enjoy life to the fullest.  I took 2 helicopter rides in Hawaii and both were spectacular!  Hope you get to take the ride ASAP!

• Fraussie
    MugsBugs said:

Helicopter ride sounds wonderful!

One thing about getting a cancer diagnosis is that you realize that you need to enjoy life to the fullest.  I took 2 helicopter rides in Hawaii and both were spectacular!  Hope you get to take the ride ASAP!

Helicopter ride

this will be the first thing I do. I was always scared to do that, and now it seems like fun

• Fraussie
    Soup52 said:

Fraussie, welcome to our

Fraussie, welcome to our group :) I’m sorry you have to go through this but we will all be here to encourage you. I was diagnosed with high grade endo cancer in 2015 and after all my treatments I’m so far clear . There is much hope for us and it sounds like you are getting quick access to treatment . Best wishes and keep us posted .

Thank you

i will fight this as I want to take my trip around the world with my husband