I can’t believe this is happening!

My dh had a liver resection almost 4 weeks ago.  He had a new baseline CT done and I just read the results online.  Multiple new masses were found in the liver again!  How have new lesions formed so fast?  We haven’t met with the oncologist yet, but it doesn’t look good.  Please tell me that someone else has dealt with this!  

Comments

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Oh gosh

I had the exact thing happen to me last year.  One month after my liver abalation and  resection a CT  was done. The results showed lesions. The oncologist felt that they were cancer the radiologist felt like they were cancer. (Prior to the my surgery the liver surgeon said my next scans might come back looking bad due to the hesling process). They ordered a PET which also led them to believe it was cancer. The tumor board felt that I needed more surgery. The liver surgeon gave me the option to wait three or four months and see if the lesions progressed or to immediately have surgery. I chose , out of fear, to have the surgery. All the biopsies came back negative. So there was no more cancer.  thus it was a happy ending. But I had a second surgery simply for peace of mind. 

I hope your husband’s results end up to be much like mine

all the best

pam

• peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    Similar in some respects...

My wife was inoperatble due to the extent of liver involvement.   She showed partial response to the chemo.  But once chemo stopped, and she went on maintenance avastin, it quickly took over the liver and went to the bone and lungs.  During the time period (weeks) after she had finished the first treatment series there was not enough monitoring.  Had to request new PET/CT scans, whcih confirmed the spread, liver and bone.  It ws like pulling teeth to get CEA testng (simple cheap blod marker test) done.    So, one of many lessons was the need to stay on top of symptoms, imaging results, and don't wait to see the doctor - request immediate consults.  Days and weeks can make a difference in some cases.    

Chemo and radiation often kill only certain cell lines, so when treatment is stopped, the more resistant surviving cells quickly take over.   Oncologists know this.  Surgury can also spread cancer cells if extreme care is not taken when removing the masses.   

Sorry for the disappointment.   A suggestion though - have the doctor call you right away or schedule an immediate office visit.  Mets in the liver can go south fast.  There should be options - different chemo, etc.   

• caregiver3
    caregiver3 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the replies!  I

Thanks for the replies!  I put in a message for the oncologist to call us ASAP.  I am hoping and praying that this isn’t as bad as it looks.  For the first time since my husbands diagnosis, I’ve seen him shakin over this.  He has been so positive and now, well he’s scared.  

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Thanks for the replies!  I

Thanks for the replies!  I put in a message for the oncologist to call us ASAP.  I am hoping and praying that this isn’t as bad as it looks.  For the first time since my husbands diagnosis, I’ve seen him shakin over this.  He has been so positive and now, well he’s scared.  

Its a gut punch like no other

Even the most positive person will be knocked to the ground, with such news. But strong ones, like your hubby will eventually bounce back and continue the fight. 

And obviously, this hurts you as much as it does him, so take caer of your emotional self, as well. 

I can't offer advice other than, wish you the best when you speak with the oncologist. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

Not all readings are bad as noted above.  You can really only determine that mostly by a biopsy.  It's a hard road to take when you are facing all of this.  Wait to see what they want to do and then go from there.  Hoping that all is well.

Kim