Underwear for Incontinence

lighterwood67
lighterwood67 Member Posts: 374 Member

Well, I have now tried Depends and Tena. In my opinion, both capture and contain the urine just fine as long as you do not move a lot at night.  In this case, Tena is better.  Tena is bulkier than the Depends.  The Depends did not give my testicles a safe place to land.  Actually, hurt in some cases.  Tena is better.  So far, I give the edge to Tena.  

Comments

• MK1965
    MK1965 Member Posts: 233 Member
    Depends

lw,

Depends REAL FIT worked perfectly for me after catheter removal. It fits like real underwear. I was adding Depends pads in my REAL FIT and was changing them as needed.

MK

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member
    Diddo

I did the same thing as MK, worked great..

Dave 3+4

• lighterwood67
    MK1965 said:

Depends

lw,

Depends REAL FIT worked perfectly for me after catheter removal. It fits like real underwear. I was adding Depends pads in my REAL FIT and was changing them as needed.

MK

Excellent Idea

You guys are the best at answering folks questions.  You do not have to answer the questions or provide help, but you do.  And you do it for folks that you do not even know.  To me that it is the human side of this cancer.  Help those who are weaker, help the sick.  Means a lot to me.  I will be giving the pads with the Real Fit a try.  Again, thanks.

• lighterwood67

Diddo

I did the same thing as MK, worked great..

Dave 3+4

Confirmation

Thanks for confirming what MK said.  This is the kind of stuff that helps the newbies.  One step at a time, good advice.

• graycloud
    graycloud Member Posts: 42 Member
    Tena

My husband is 10  weeks post surgery today.  He wore depends for 2 days  - the day he got his catheter out and the day we flew home from NYC.   He went straight to pads after that.   He will agree with you on Tena Men's brand.  Much better for someone who is active.  He walks 5-7 miles daily, and Depends brand doesn't cut it.  Way too rough.    We started out using Moderate level Tena pads, but had to go to super at the beginning.  He's back to moderate.   We just ordered light pads since he's doing so well.  My frustration is ordering everything on line, and Tena shipping is awful.  2nd day air really means 5 days! You can get the Moderate level via Amazon, but the Super level you have to get directly from Tena.    Also, he's had to change underwear from loose fitting boxers to boxer briefs.  He's found ExOfficio brand to be really comfortable as well as fast drying.  He also loved the UnderArmor HeatGear 6 inch boxer briefs.  They hold pads really well without leaking.  And super soft.  His main reason for going straight to pads is that it's much easier and more discreet to change when out and about.  He's been working since 8 days post surgery, and we have continued to be out and about just as we were before surgery.  Prostate Cancer will not change our lifestyle!  Men's bathrooms are not set up for privacy.  You can change a pad easily, a diaper you cannot.  He's down to 2 nor more than 3 pads a day - and normally they only  have a few drops.  He's doing so well!

• RobLee
    RobLee Member Posts: 269 Member
    Tena

Glad to hear your husband is doing well. I have been using Tena since having my artificial sphincter implant (AUS) a year ago.  Before that my leakage was so copious that I had to use external catheters and a leg bag.  No pad or brief could hold enough liquid.

You are right, the moderate Tena's are about the only thing available on Amazon. The cost about $10 for the 48 pack.  Light and/or heavy you have to order from incontinence supply specialty distributors, and cost much more than the moderates from AZ.  Doesn't make sense and is probably due to marketing.  I have found some Tena for men in drug stores... as opposed to the aisles full of women's incontinence products.

I gave up on Depends briefs early on.  I never wore boxers but did wear boxer briefs for a while. Today I wear Hanes classic no-fly briefs with light pads. The fly is useless when wearing a pad and it only contributes to the bulkiness. And I wear the Tena moderates in my jammies, going thru just 1 or 2 a day.

• lighterwood67
    RobLee said:

Tena

Glad to hear your husband is doing well. I have been using Tena since having my artificial sphincter implant (AUS) a year ago.  Before that my leakage was so copious that I had to use external catheters and a leg bag.  No pad or brief could hold enough liquid.

You are right, the moderate Tena's are about the only thing available on Amazon. The cost about $10 for the 48 pack.  Light and/or heavy you have to order from incontinence supply specialty distributors, and cost much more than the moderates from AZ.  Doesn't make sense and is probably due to marketing.  I have found some Tena for men in drug stores... as opposed to the aisles full of women's incontinence products.

I gave up on Depends briefs early on.  I never wore boxers but did wear boxer briefs for a while. Today I wear Hanes classic no-fly briefs with light pads. The fly is useless when wearing a pad and it only contributes to the bulkiness. And I wear the Tena moderates in my jammies, going thru just 1 or 2 a day.

Thanks for the comment

Not sure what happen last night, but I believe my urinary systems are waking up.  I just used a pad last night and all I had in the morning was a spot about the size of a quarter.  My body is gaining more control over the drip.  As I have stated in the past, my surgery was a RP; bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection (8); bladder neck reconstruction.  I am pleased with my progress and in good spirits.  Thanks for the input, but if things keep improving I will probably test just wearing a pad and underwear (boxerjock under armour).  May test it today with a walk to the mail box, 1/8th of a mile up and 1/8th of a mile back.  I had 20 miles in steps last week.  Again, thanks for the feedback.

• graycloud
    graycloud Member Posts: 42 Member

Thanks for the comment

Not sure what happen last night, but I believe my urinary systems are waking up.  I just used a pad last night and all I had in the morning was a spot about the size of a quarter.  My body is gaining more control over the drip.  As I have stated in the past, my surgery was a RP; bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection (8); bladder neck reconstruction.  I am pleased with my progress and in good spirits.  Thanks for the input, but if things keep improving I will probably test just wearing a pad and underwear (boxerjock under armour).  May test it today with a walk to the mail box, 1/8th of a mile up and 1/8th of a mile back.  I had 20 miles in steps last week.  Again, thanks for the feedback.

Physical Therapy

Just a thought.  My husband started pelvic floor physical therapy 3 weeks post surgery, and he's still going twice a week.  It's made a huge improvement in control for him.   Insurance will cover it. 

• lighterwood67
    graycloud said:

Physical Therapy

Just a thought.  My husband started pelvic floor physical therapy 3 weeks post surgery, and he's still going twice a week.  It's made a huge improvement in control for him.   Insurance will cover it. 

Good thought

Prior to surgery I was evaluated by a Physical Therapist.  They placed 3 probes in my rectum and had me flex my kegels.  Also, the therapist evaluated me as far as mobility (ability to touch toes; stretch).  They rated me a 4 out of 5.  5 being the highest.  I do my kegels at 9:00, 12:00; 3:00; and 6:00 pretty much everyday.  The only day I miss is when my rectum hurts me too much because of the exercise, probably strained the muscles.  As soon as I heal up totally, my intentions were to go to a physical therapist.  Thanks for reaffirming that that is what I need to do.

• xtim999
    xtim999 Member Posts: 2
    How long?

I’m honestly a bit discouraged. I had non nerve soaring RP with 24 lymph nodes removed On March 1.  All pathology was good. Although extracapsular extension I had clear margins, all negative lymph nodes and PSA of zero after surgery. Gleason score was 9 and 11 of 12 biopsy cores were >50%. My bladder was leaking after surgery so they left catheter and JP drain in for 30 days.  When they finally removed them I had an internal infection which put me back in hospital for 4 days. I’m now at almost 60 days out and finishing up 30 day prescriptions of antibiotics. Going back next week for CT scan and blood work. I’m still totally incontinent. I use maximum surge pads throughout the day and mostly avoid leaks but go through 4 depends at night and leak a lot at night. I started pelvic floor therapy last week. Does anyone know if I’m still possibly gonna regain any bladder control? Shouldn’t I be able to at least slow it down or stand up without overflowing my depends?  Does it just take time to even see a bit of control?  I’m 56 and had 6 months of Zytiga and Leupron before surgery. No radiation. 

• JayAur
    JayAur Member Posts: 33 Member
    Amazon and Tenya products

Write to Amazon with cc to Jeff Bezos about them not stocking what you need as far as this brand is concerned.  Give them a link to this discussion.  I would appeal to their being a good company and being socially conscious.  I have found them to respond and try to do the right thing

Just an idea...but seeing all this concern, worth a shot.  I was fortunate in only having a short challenge with this problem, but it is one that just adds stress to the bigger problem...The Big C 

• Clevelandguy
    edited April 2018 #13
    Control?

Hi Xtim999,

At 60 days out I would think in my opinion that you should start to see a little control coming back.  With your extended cath time it might even take a little longer.  Depending on how much tissue they had to remove around your bladder neck it might set you back a few months on the healing curve.  The Kegal exercises will definately help develop your bladder control muscles.  I would not give up hope yet, I saw small improvements in my leakage into the start of my second year, it does take a long time to heal from the trauma of surgery and nerve damage, longer than you would think.

Dave 3+4

• Clevelandguy
    Underwear experiment

Hi All,

I thought I would share my underwear experiement to see if it helps someone.  I wear a light depends pad daily to catch the occasional dribble along with tighty whities to keep the pad where it should be.  In looking at lighterhwoods comment"The Depends did not give my testicles a safe place to land.  Actually, hurt in some cases. ," I had a similar problem.  I went two sizes larger in my tighty whities and now instead of a freightened turtle I have my old buddy back in the fresh air and the boys are free and loose.  I still keep the pad in place to do it's job but it's nice to go to a public restroom and be able to "access" my friend to pee instead of pulling the frightened turtle out.  Just thought I would share.

Two sizes larger and never going back..............

Dave 3+4

• Grinder
    Grinder Member Posts: 487 Member
    6 months

It was about 6 months before I began drying up. I was a bit behind schedule, but after a year I was some 95% recovered.

Another tip... I dont waste money on Chinese made light absorbency shields anymore. I just take a Viva soft paper towel and fold it one way, then fold the other way a couple times on each side so there is a seam in the middle, then cover the seam with double sticky back carpet tape, then pull off the wax paper and stick it on. The carpet tape is plastic so it makes a moisture barrier between the towel and the cloth boxer briefs. I drip so little now I dont need anything more than that and its only about a few cents apiece. And the Viva paper towel is much softer. The shields were irritating my junk.