So many questions

cdudley
cdudley Member Posts: 3

Hi.  My Dad was recently diagnosed with Lung cancer.  I am trying to figure out what documents I need to get together to make sure we have all of our bases covered.  I know of the Power of Attorny and the Living Will.  Do I need to be gathering anything else up?

Comments

• Katmar
    Katmar Member Posts: 55
    Well, first you need to know

Well, first you need to know what kind, stage and treatment plan.  Lung cancer patients are living much longer these days, unless they have a particular aggressive form. It's always good to have those documents, including insurance papers and knowing what a loved one wants done with their remains,  but more important is to LIVE while he can and celebrate each day. Help him do this and it will be the greatest gift you can give him.

• cdudley
    Waiting

They are still waiting to get more test results.  He has a tumor on his brain so it was classified as Stage IV because it has spread to the brain.  They are planning to go in and take out most ofthe tumor and perform more testing on it so we should know more soon.  As far as we have been told it is an aggressive non small cell cancer.

• Katmar
    edited March 2018 #4
    If they are taking out most

If they are taking out most of the tumor, they must feel that they can treat it. He wouldn't be cured, but could possibly be treated as a chronic illness. Wishing you all the best. And never give up hope. And, remember, there is NOT a time line on these things. Everyone is different, and so many are living longer and quality lives.

• cdudley
    Katmar said:

If they are taking out most

If they are taking out most of the tumor, they must feel that they can treat it. He wouldn't be cured, but could possibly be treated as a chronic illness. Wishing you all the best. And never give up hope. And, remember, there is NOT a time line on these things. Everyone is different, and so many are living longer and quality lives.

Thanks

Thanks for the hope and encouragement.  I am hoping that they find out the pathology results soon.  My Dad is talking about not necessarily wanting to do treatment if his memory doesn't start to clear up.  He has agreed to take his physical therapy and rehab seriously and we will go from there.  

• Katmar
    edited March 2018 #6
    I think you will feel better

I think you will feel better once you have a plan of action. Sitting around waiting on test results is horrible.  Wishing you and your dad all the best. It's good he is doing PT and rehab!

• ClaCla
    ClaCla Member Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2018 #7
    Documents

CDudley, so sorry about your dad.  Like Katmar said, oncologists have all sorts of medical treatments that are making a big difference in quality and quantity of life for people with lung cancer.  There are even people being treated for Stage IV non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who are still able to work. Is that the type your dad has?  And it's important that you help him understand that LC is not necessarily a death sentence, and that you love and support him.

Hopefully, he'll live many more years in reasonably good health, but it is also important to make sure his affairs in order.  I'm assuming his "Advance Directives" are included in the paperwork you said you already have.   If there is real estate involved, it is important to have a Living Trust set up, along with a Will.

Best success to you and your dad.

• ACU
    ACU Member Posts: 2
    Stay Strong

My mother was just diagnosed last week so i understand the shock and feeling of being overwhelmed. For me, staying busy and working through the many associated tasks of a new cancer diagnosis has really helped offset the grief and feeling of helplessness.

One of the first things we did was have a discussion about her end of life choices. (not fun but necessary) These eventually found their way into an AZ End of Life Care document and living will, which i filed with the state. I also went through her associated accounts (bank, etc) and made sure that i either had co-ownership or was listed as the beneficiary. Beyond this, i made sure that all of her medical team had my contact info and vice versa. We also made copies of her will and changed the registration of her vehices to "Jane Doe OR John Doe" to facilitate options down the road.

We arent giving up, but I think getting a loved one's affairs in order helps all concerned parties and, personally, helps us take back some semblance of control from this horrible disease.