PSA up while on zytiga

Chuckect
Chuckect Member Posts: 45

well here i am going on 2 years with stage 4 metistatic prostate cancer, i was told that the average life with what i have is 2 & 1/2 years.. as i am 80 i have already beat the average life xpectancy of the american male, so maybe i can beat the other one too..  i am off zytiga and prednisone as my psa jumped to112.. getting new bone scans and mri tomorrow then see my oncoligst..  another problem that just doubles my difficulties is that i had polio as a teen ager and with the accomp lymphoma i can't navigate my braces and crutches so i'm in a wheelchair and now i'm having trouble getting from my wheelchair to my bed which is 6 inches higher than my wheelchair..  so i'm checking with medicare and my insurance about getting a hospital type bed. i am on my second oncoligst (the 1st one didn't seem to care) and thinking i might try a third opinion,(but maybe the problem is me).. any way my oncoligst said he has never had a cancer paitent that has had polio and seems to have trouble telling the diff between arthritis and cancer on the bone scans, maybe the new scans will show more..

i'll post more after my scans tomorow

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,285 Member
    Thanks for your post

You have fought a hard fight and deserve a proper bed! I do hope the 'system' will help you ASAP.

My best wishes with the scans. Comparing old and new scans should tell whether the lesions are due to (old) arthritis or (new) metastases, I think.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    You will beat it

Chuckect,

I will be waiting for your update on the results tomorrow and hope for them again in one year time to prove that I am right. You will beat the "2 & 1/2 years" they have told you.

Best wishes in your continued efforts as a survivor.

VG

• RobLee
    RobLee Member Posts: 269 Member
    Good luck Chuck!

You've already beaten the odds, though it's unfortunate about the PSA rise.  Good luck with your scan today and please keep us informed.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Question

Chuchect,

Have you done the drug Jevtana yet ?  It is for "post-Taxane (i.e., chemotherapy) metastatic homone-refactory PCa" also, similiar to Zytiga, but not given simultaneously with Zytiga -- another tool in the arsenal.  When one fails, the other usually works quite well for a time.  (Note: While these drugs were initially FDA approved for use after chemo, they are today commonly used prior to any chemotherapy.)

max

• Chuckect
    PSA back down ?

so,my bone scans showed very little ,if any, change; same with CT,, thats good news...  but the PSA went down to26.4  so i'm back on zytiga.. no one can explane the rise in psa to 112 so we are considering it an anomoly... and, so on we go with the daily battle with our stage 4 metistatic prostate cancer... there is a new study out to see if NIRAPARIB (drug fda approved for breast cancer) will be affective in prostate cancer for men.. so my MO is having me tested to see if I have the right markers to be eligable for the test.. the good thing is that the medication is free not $10,000/mo like zytiga... 

I would like to say how much i enjoy the response from my fellow travlers,, thank you one and all....

• Chuckect
    jevtana

no, i havent tried jevtana yet but it is my tool box now, thanks for the tip....

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited March 2018 #8
    Chuckect said:

PSA back down ?

so,my bone scans showed very little ,if any, change; same with CT,, thats good news...  but the PSA went down to26.4  so i'm back on zytiga.. no one can explane the rise in psa to 112 so we are considering it an anomoly... and, so on we go with the daily battle with our stage 4 metistatic prostate cancer... there is a new study out to see if NIRAPARIB (drug fda approved for breast cancer) will be affective in prostate cancer for men.. so my MO is having me tested to see if I have the right markers to be eligable for the test.. the good thing is that the medication is free not $10,000/mo like zytiga... 

I would like to say how much i enjoy the response from my fellow travlers,, thank you one and all....

Yes

That is very good news; hope you got the bed in the meantime.

• Chuckect
    edited March 2018 #9
    I would like to thank all of

I would like to thank all of you who gave me so much support.. Every thing is going well (as can be expected on palative care).. getting a hospital type bed on a 13 month rental basis.. then i have a new medication, zoloft - 25 mg, seems to make things a little better after just a few days..so i would say , once again, thanx for the support, and we will continue to keep on truckin !!

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Chuckect said:

I would like to thank all of

I would like to thank all of you who gave me so much support.. Every thing is going well (as can be expected on palative care).. getting a hospital type bed on a 13 month rental basis.. then i have a new medication, zoloft - 25 mg, seems to make things a little better after just a few days..so i would say , once again, thanx for the support, and we will continue to keep on truckin !!

Thank you also

Chuckect the thanks is due to you, not anyone responding.  You have reminded us what the ultimate issues are, what matters most in the battle.  Secondary issues are, well, secondary.

Your mind and spirit seem perfectly situated...

max

• Chuckect said:

PSA back down ?

I am happy to see that your

I am happy to see that your PSA is going down.  The cost of Zytiga is out of this world.  Am currently on it and has been covered by my insurance co-pay and funding, but never know one month to the next whether it will be covered.  Chuckect, hope that all goes well and like me with Prostate Cancer with bone Met also, we will beat this.