Small cell lung cancer remission stories

hopeful2111
hopeful2111 Member Posts: 1

i have been diagnosed with Small cell and taking chemo /radiatio now.....I want to put this in remission for my kids sake.....

Any one tried anything naturopathy to put behind this....

Comments

• Geri1964
    Geri1964 Member Posts: 1
    Small cell lung cancer immunotherapy trials

Hi hopeful2111, 

My husband is also going through chemo and was on a trial drug. Early May he was told all cancer had shrunk to stage of being immeasurable. Yesterday we were told it is growing again in the lung and radiation is our next option. Due to this they are not prepared to keep him on the trial drug and told us we would have to fund it ourselves. As distressing as it is we are considering continuing with the immunotherapy as it has kept all other cancers he had in liver, pancreas at bay. 

Are you having success with the chemo and radiation combination?

Stay hopeful and keep fighting.

• sondrahays
    sondrahays Member Posts: 23
    trials

What Trial was he on? have you done Immunotherapy? My husband is doing Chemo and radiation same time. we have already had two rounds of chemo and now radiation is being added. advised only chance we have for a possible "cure" we know at some point it will return and will need to look at options than like immunotherapy.

• RodgerS
    RodgerS Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017 #4
    Small cell lung cancer remission

Diagnosed in April 2017. Did chemo & radiation for 7 weeks. Now in remission!!  I go back in Nov for a CT Scan. The wait is maddening. I don't know if I'm partial or complete remission. Hard to get through to Dr. to answer.

• Julez
    Julez Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2017 #5

trials

What Trial was he on? have you done Immunotherapy? My husband is doing Chemo and radiation same time. we have already had two rounds of chemo and now radiation is being added. advised only chance we have for a possible "cure" we know at some point it will return and will need to look at options than like immunotherapy.

trials

Hello My husband was just diagnosed with small cell. Starts his first treatment Tuesday. I have never been more scared in my life everything I have read is not good. What is this Immunotherapy? 

• ClaCla
    ClaCla Member Posts: 136 Member
    JulieZ & RodgerS - What stage

JulieZ & RodgerS - What stage of lung cancer was the original diagnosis?  Sorry this is happening to you and your family.  Wishing you the best success.

• Julez
    ClaCla said:

JulieZ & RodgerS - What stage

JulieZ & RodgerS - What stage of lung cancer was the original diagnosis?  Sorry this is happening to you and your family.  Wishing you the best success.

He has two masses on the

He has two masses on the liver and one on the left hilum. Will have his firt treatment Tuesday but its Chemo not with radiation. I have seen where there are better results doing both at sametime. I think we will ask why just the chemo. Thank you praying for a miracle.

• Crazymom5
    Crazymom5 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017 #8
    Hope

My dad has stage 4 small cell lung cancer he soon to start chemo is there a chance for survival over the 2 yr mark they gave him

• Hope2017
    Hope2017 Member Posts: 2
    Hope

On September 1 my husband was diagnosed with non small cells lung cancer stage 4 and the oncologist gave us no hope. He said, in his cancer they found squamous cells . the cancer had metastases on his lymph nodes. I'm so scared! what are the chances of surviving this cancer? Is there anyone that have this type of cancer that can share their story? Give me hope PLEASE! 

• ClaCla
    ClaCla Member Posts: 136 Member
    Hope 2017

Hope, very sorry you and your husband are going through this.  I'm glad you found this website for support and information.  I learned on Aug. 18th that I have the same type of cancer as your husband, but mine is stage IIIa.  On another web site, Inspire.com, there are numerous stage 4 survivors of many years.  So there is hope.  From what I've heard and read statistics don't sound very meaningful because there are so many variables.  By the way, this particular string of postings above is about small cell lung cancer, so you would probably get more response if you started a new post for non small cell lung cancer with a fresh posting date.  I think it's almost worse to be the caregiver than it is to be the patient, so hang in there.  Feel free to private message me if you just want someone to vent to.  God bless you and your family.

• Lynda Cole
    Lynda Cole Member Posts: 1
    Julez said:

trials

Hello My husband was just diagnosed with small cell. Starts his first treatment Tuesday. I have never been more scared in my life everything I have read is not good. What is this Immunotherapy? 

Treatments

Hi Julez

so sorry for the diagnosis and fear. I was diagnosed on Feb. 9,2017. Went through 12 weeks of chemo, 30 radiation. Then they did 10 profalactic cranial radiaton. My diagnosis was stage 3 A. So far I have had 3 pet scans since June. Just scar tissue no new tumors. It is a tough struggle and my fatigue continues. Keep the faith, it is tough! I have wonderful doctors at Texas onocology, and feel like they are doing their job. I hope things are going well for your husband. You will be in my thoughts and prayers and would like to hear from you. I am new to this site.

• sondrahays
    sondrahays Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2017 #12

REMISSION IS POSSIBLE. My husband was diaginoised in June of this year. We traveled to Cleveland from Columbus Ohio, for treatment after we were told here in Columbus they would only offer quality of life-12-18 months is what they gave us! unbelieveable I still get so upset at the doctors here. We went to Cleveland and they gave us hope. My husband finsihed his chemo/readiation and is about to start the PCI next week. his pet scan showed a little lite up in the upper intake of his lung but the doctors felt that could be from the Radiation and not seem concered. said he responded very well. we are excited and also scared of it possibly coming back. but right now we have a new lease on life and taking it day by day. positive attitudes and strong will. my husband has been tough through this. he is fatigued and he says all the time he feels beat up from the treatments. but we hope with time this will improve. Hang in there, and have faith! God Bless.

• AnnieNMichael
    AnnieNMichael Member Posts: 5
    RodgerS said:

Small cell lung cancer remission

Diagnosed in April 2017. Did chemo & radiation for 7 weeks. Now in remission!!  I go back in Nov for a CT Scan. The wait is maddening. I don't know if I'm partial or complete remission. Hard to get through to Dr. to answer.

Wonderful news!

I'm always so excited to read such wonderful news!

• Pampjp
    Pampjp Member Posts: 3

Treatments

Hi Julez

so sorry for the diagnosis and fear. I was diagnosed on Feb. 9,2017. Went through 12 weeks of chemo, 30 radiation. Then they did 10 profalactic cranial radiaton. My diagnosis was stage 3 A. So far I have had 3 pet scans since June. Just scar tissue no new tumors. It is a tough struggle and my fatigue continues. Keep the faith, it is tough! I have wonderful doctors at Texas onocology, and feel like they are doing their job. I hope things are going well for your husband. You will be in my thoughts and prayers and would like to hear from you. I am new to this site.

Hello Lynda, was wondering

Hello Lynda, was wondering how it was going for you.  I have a friend that was diagnosed recently and I'm trying to get as much information as I can for her.  She is starting chemotherapy this week and is stage IV small  cell lung cancer.  Any tips, advice, suggestions?

• SassyJean
    SassyJean Member Posts: 1
    New on Here

I was diagnosed in Sept with small cell lung cancer and have been doing chemo.  Do you have to do radiation?  I've heard it makes you REALLY sick - is it worth it?

• Andromeda1960
    Andromeda1960 Member Posts: 3
    SassyJean said:

New on Here

I was diagnosed in Sept with small cell lung cancer and have been doing chemo.  Do you have to do radiation?  I've heard it makes you REALLY sick - is it worth it?

I had SCLC and I had

I had SCLC and I had radiation and chemotherapy.  I have been in remission for two years. Chemotherapy is rough but Zofran helps somewhat. Rest and eat what you can. Call the oncologist if you can't tolerate the side effects. The main thing is to prevent dehydration by drinking an abundance of fluid.

I hope you and your husband get through this with peace and comfort from God.

• Julez
    Update husbands small cell

Hello everyone, Mu husband had to stop chemo it showed the tumor started to grow after it was shrinking. We decided to do immunotherphy instead of second line chemo. Is anyone else doing this? wondering on side effects?

• DanceSkater
    DanceSkater Member Posts: 62
    Julez said:

Update husbands small cell

Hello everyone, Mu husband had to stop chemo it showed the tumor started to grow after it was shrinking. We decided to do immunotherphy instead of second line chemo. Is anyone else doing this? wondering on side effects?

Immunotherapy

My sister has been on Keytruda for stage IV lung cancer for one year (IV treatment once every 3 weeks).   She says her only problem is being a little tired the day of and the day after the treatment.  She has also developed a thyroid problem and is now on thyroid medication.

She does everything !!  Put on a Thanksgiving dinner, decorated both the inside and outside of their house for Christmas.  Shopped and wrapped gifts.  Sits for her 8 month old grandson at least once a week.  You'd never know there was anything wrong with her.

• Dawnm40
    Dawnm40 Member Posts: 1
    Small cell lung cancer

My husband 60 yrs old was diagnosed Sept 1 2017 with extensive small cell lung cancer. Worst stage possible. The only good news was it was not in the brain. Tumors covered liver, lymph nodes and in bones. He finished his 6th and last round of chemo on Christmas. He never got sick only tired, lack of energy. After 4th round they took pet scan and everything decreased by 50%. Did 2 more rounds and another pet scan and it is the same. Will start radiation soon. I would assume that type of chemo is no longer working. Doc said we should wait now and see what happens. If cancer grows anymore to start a different type of chemo but said it's an awful chemo and almost everyone gets sick on it. Other option is trial drugs.  He was given 6 to 12 months to live. Thinking of going on a vacation but darn radiation will be starting next week. Hoping for some positive extensive sclc stories because the ones I read are not to good.  

• Peggyhal
    Peggyhal Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018 #20
    Dawnm40 said:

Small cell lung cancer

My husband 60 yrs old was diagnosed Sept 1 2017 with extensive small cell lung cancer. Worst stage possible. The only good news was it was not in the brain. Tumors covered liver, lymph nodes and in bones. He finished his 6th and last round of chemo on Christmas. He never got sick only tired, lack of energy. After 4th round they took pet scan and everything decreased by 50%. Did 2 more rounds and another pet scan and it is the same. Will start radiation soon. I would assume that type of chemo is no longer working. Doc said we should wait now and see what happens. If cancer grows anymore to start a different type of chemo but said it's an awful chemo and almost everyone gets sick on it. Other option is trial drugs.  He was given 6 to 12 months to live. Thinking of going on a vacation but darn radiation will be starting next week. Hoping for some positive extensive sclc stories because the ones I read are not to good.  

Sclc

Hi Dawn  my husband is 69 and was diagnosed with sclc stage 4. It was in both lungs and lymph nodes and liver but not in his brain thankfully. He went through 12 rounds of carboplatin and etoposide, then the pet scan showed the cancer to be shrinking. His dr was hoping for full remission. So now he's on a new chemo drug called irinotecan. My husband does not look or act sick. We bowl and golf and ride our bikes...but it is hard not to think of what happens next. So much of this is unknown so I am just grateful for these good days.

• frank1940
    frank1940 Member Posts: 4
    SassyJean said:

New on Here

small cell lung cancer

I have small cell lung cancer and have had three 3 radiation treatmants, it does not make me sick but it does make you really tired. Otherwise pretty simple and not painful.

Frank