For men only, the post-surgical issue

Mikenh
Mikenh Member Posts: 777

I had the problem where ejaculate didn't come out the usual way and I thought it was coming out of the rear end so I got up the courage to ask the surgeon today and she said that it was likely retrograde ejaculation where it goes into the bladder because of the trauma to the nerves or urethra. She said that if there was a disconnect, then urine would come out the rear end. She checked manually and said that things felt good. So it's unlikely a medical health issue though it does feel odd. We didn't really discuss fixing it as it's not the top of my priority list today. I know that a few others had this or a similar issue and just wanted to report on what the surgeon said. She said that it's good that I brought it up.

Comments

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    edited March 2018 #2
    Fairly Common

Mike:

As a prostate cancer suvivor, I became aware of this "possible" situation during my education regarding PC when I had to make treatment decisions.  I never experienced the retrograde ejaculation, but I learned about it just in case.  I underwent a radical prostatectomy in 2009 and was fortunate because I did not have to endure chemo or radiation treatment.  But, that surgery rearranged some of my plumbing and permanently affected some nerves and blood vessels.

There is a confluence of nerves, blood / fluid vessels and several organs tightly contained within the hip girdle (pelvis).  Whenever any of these degrade and surgical intervention is involved there is an increased risk of collateral damage, or sympathetic adjustment, on/by the adjacent organs.  To further complicate the situation, the space in which a surgeon must work is very constrained.  Consequently, the chance for undesirable secondary events to occur is increased.

The treatment for rectal cancer includes similar anatomical challenges as prostate cancer due to the location of the organ.  One of the undesired results with rectal cancer surgical intervention are fistulas, which, in layman's terms, is similar to reversing the polarity of an electrically energized system.  Or, as a plumber might experience, attaching the hot water feed line to the cold water faucet.  What should go up, nows goes down or what should exit one orifice now exits another orifice.

There is a discussion board on this site for prostate cancer.  Post your statement/question on it and you will receive more informed responses.  Or, just do a quick search for prostate cancer forums and you should have a list of information sources.

As we live with and progress through our experience with cancer, of any type, we must maintain a sense of humor.  Just when we think that the situation could not degrade any further or our human dignity be further diminished, something else happens.  If we have the ability to laugh - and accept the situation, then we increase the likelihood of survival.  I am not implying that any of this is laughable, just that we must remain positive as we face each development.

Jim

• Mikenh
    Thanks for the notes. I did a

Thanks for the notes. I did a little reading and so I have a little idea as to what happened. Not a big concern right now as I generally have bigger stuff to deal with.

• Mikenh
    I had a look over there. It’s

I had a look over there. It’s like they are speaking a completely different language. I guess I’m so used to CRC and find that the knowledge doesnt transfer over.

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Yes

i had colon surgery last year, and it (male member) has not responded like it used to.  However it’s better now than it was.  I would have nothing come out during sex.  Now it comes out, just not as much.  Not as powerful like it was. So you are not alone in this.  As you said, it’s not a huge priority, but was concerning.  Gotta love it!

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I'm done with having kids, so

I'm done with having kids, so having it go that way, is fine. I had to look it up, but since the surgeon mentioned impotency as a possible result of the colectomy, I'm feeling comparitively lucky..............................................Dave

• Mikenh
    Yup, my surgeon mentioned

Yup, my surgeon mentioned that as well. I was more concerned with survival at the time of course.

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    Ok Mike, when you write for

Ok Mike, when you write for men only, I just have to come and take a peek. LOL

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

For sure

We've all been over here, Lily.  

Guess its just not the 'lady parts' that get damaged, eh. 

Tru

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    Yes men have problems..

My Colorectal Surgeon advised me that I could lose some feeling, and I did. Although not my top priority at the time, I was unable to maintain an erection good enough for intercourse. No intercourse for two years. One day she complained of a bad taste. I do not produce sperm, only per-ejaculate fluid. Kinda freaked me out.

Rather than relate the whole story I just want tell how I resolved my sex issue. Soup to nuts, we tried everything and I was pretty discouraged. As crazy as it seems I purchased a Medical vacuum penis pump. I tried it a couple of times and nothing, I was feeling kind of stupid. Well third times a charm. I’m very pleased and able to make love to my wife.

If any of you guys out there have been unable to resolve erection issues after rectal surgery, this is a last resort that works.

• Mikenh
    I suspect that it may be

I suspect that it may be related to having the catheter in there for so long so I should look up some research on that. I'm going to go through that again for the reversal surgery so probably inefficient to try to do something about it and the chemo really kills things anyways. Glad you were able to find a solution.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited March 2018 #12
    Trubrit said:

For sure

We've all been over here, Lily.  

Guess its just not the 'lady parts' that get damaged, eh. 

Tru

Peeked

Yup just had to peek too.  I've had my parts not work right after too.  Didn't realize the men had problems also.

Kim

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Catheter

Ugh.  The catheter.  I never want to think about that again.

• Mikenh

Catheter

Ugh.  The catheter.  I never want to think about that again.

The catheter and stents gave

The catheter and stents gave me the most pain in the hospital.

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Mikenh said:

The catheter and stents gave

The catheter and stents gave me the most pain in the hospital.

whatever you do for your physical activity,do less sitting--

A British study just published indicates that too much TV may contribute to CRC in men (what of recurrence?)

www.nature.com/articles/bjc2017496

(Why doesn't link work?)

As for subject at hand......My catherer was inserted while i was knocked out for op but removed a few days later while awake. A daylater it was needed again and this one was placed while i was awake....Wait till you need a urologist to do probes if prostate acts up!!!!!

Things haven't worked right since ostomy tho shortly after Tx,enlarged prostate needed to be dealth with. Things did not change so.......Priorities change to deal with reality (or as someone once sang/wrote:"Life is what happans while you're busy making plans")

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member

lol Me too.  And for the

lol Me too.  And for the record, women have similar sexual issues after chemo, radiation and surgery.  Some fixable, some not.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member

Peeked

Yup just had to peek too.  I've had my parts not work right after too.  Didn't realize the men had problems also.

Kim

I'm 48 and it has TRULY been

I'm 48 and it has TRULY been the hardest thing of this whole experience.  Kind of hard to date when your parts don't work.  Since it's a guys post and we're peeking, I won't use the word and freak them out.  lol  Have to find a nice guy willing to do some work arounds.  One of my friends was nice enough to say "that'll be a needle in a haystack".  Well I don't care if I have to pick through every piece of hay one by one to find that needle, I'm looking!  I'm glad the guys found solutions.  Sadly mine is permanent as it was surgery so I'm stuck.  It's been a hard thing to accept.

• darcher
    darcher Member Posts: 304 Member
    I guess I'm not alone then.

I guess I'm not alone then.  Initially I imagined it must be leaking inside somewhere. Infection was the first thing I thought of and became terrified.  I wish the doctor would have mentioned it when he gave me the go ahead to have sex again that this was a possibility. I wouldn't have freaked out seeing nothing come out.  It's like a lot of things with this disease, nothing is said until after the fact.

I was told a urologist might be able to fix it but won't look into it until after chemo is done. I don't want to complicate matters more than they already are considering it's such a fragile area. If they can't repair it I'll just have to be happy with what I can do. 

• Mikenh
    edited April 2021 #19
    This fixed itself three years

This fixed itself three years after surgery. I really didn't want to see a Urologist as I was already spending too much time with medical appointments.