Did anyone experience pain before diagnosis?

Confused39
Confused39 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2018 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone experienced pain before being diagnosed with kidney cancer. If so, can you please describe the pain and where you felt it? Thanks so much.

Comments

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    I did. I had persistent flank

I did. I had persistent flank pain for three days which got better with painkillers but came back the next day. It wasn't sever, I could go to sleep and the pain didn't Wake me up. It was a 10 cm tumor in my tight kidney and my surgeon had to remove kidney and adrenal gland 3 1/2 years ago

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    I had zero symptoms until I

I had zero symptoms until I peed blood. I thought it was a UTI but my doc felt a CT scan would be a good idea. I'm so glad he thought so. I was diagnosed a week later after the CT scan.

• Confused39
    foroughsh said:

I did. I had persistent flank

I did. I had persistent flank pain for three days which got better with painkillers but came back the next day. It wasn't sever, I could go to sleep and the pain didn't Wake me up. It was a 10 cm tumor in my tight kidney and my surgeon had to remove kidney and adrenal gland 3 1/2 years ago

Did the flank pain feel like

Did the flank pain feel like a pulled muscle?

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Had

pain under right rib

and occasionally pain in side when I touched it

ran to GP

fobbed me off for four months

Surgeon didn’t believe pain rib pain was connected but it went after surgery

never had pulled muscle pain 

• Confused39

Had

pain under right rib

and occasionally pain in side when I touched it

ran to GP

fobbed me off for four months

Surgeon didn’t believe pain rib pain was connected but it went after surgery

never had pulled muscle pain 

I've been having pain in the

I've been having pain in the lower rib and waist area for 5 months now. I thought it was a pulled muscle and while it has improved slightly, it has not gone away completely. The pain in the side of my waist is dull and comes and goes, but feels very deep, while the rib pain feels like the lower ribs are out of whack or something. After a recent kidney cancer diagnosis in a sibling, I started learning more about it and read that low back or side pain ithat doesn't go away is one of the symptoms. I am now waiting on results from an x-ray and will be having an ultrasound next week. Blood work showed elevated white cells, but normal kidney function. My urine sample showed both red and white blood cells, but cultures came back negative for bacteria.

I'm getting worried that this is more than just a pulled muscle. We also have A LOT of cancer in the family - various types - mom, dad and all of his siblings, and now one of my siblings who is under 50.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Wishing you the best

I didn't describe my symptoms as pain per se.  I would wake up in the middle of the night when I'd roll to my left side because it felt like I was rolling onto a tennis ball.  Sure enough my primary sent me for an ultrasound and that led to CT's and surgery.  The first urologist basically told me it was all in my head because this type of cancer is asymptomatic.  My 2nd opinion vehemently disagreed and told me it's not unusual to have symptoms during the "growth phase" but most people ignore the messages from their body.  He also said the growth phase with my type (complex cyst) is about 6 weeks, then the symptoms subside until it goes into another growth phase.

Keep us posted.

Donna~

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Hi

i did sometimes get like a spasm pain

Where do you live

You seem to be taking a very long route

i dont hold much confidence in blood tests  or urine tests unless for some very specfIc cancers or even biopsy’s 

The x ray and the US will be a good start

keep us posted

• Lisa7610
    Lisa7610 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2018 #9
    I felt "uncomfortable" deep

I felt "uncomfortable" deep inside my right abdomen. Enough to mention it to a few people but not enough to make me think I needed to go to a doctor. I had thought that maybe I had been twisting while sitting at my office computer too long because that was when I was feeling it the most. So I switched my computer monitor to the opposite side of my desk (from right to left). In retrospect, I think it was getting squished as I bent over my desk at the computer. Mine was accidentally found shortly after that, while in the ER from a motorcycle accident--they did a full body scan looking for anything that could have been hurt during the accident. They found a 3cm CCRCC in the right kidney (confirmed after removal, of course). After my partial nephrectomy and reconstruction, I'll swear I felt that kidney as it was dying, although my surgeon (whom has never felt a kidney die lol) insists I could not feel it. I'm telling you, it was painful as it died over the following year. I now know EXACTLY where my kidneys are--i can feel them as well as locate them with my fingers. I hope this helps ya. 

• Confused39

Hi

i did sometimes get like a spasm pain

Where do you live

You seem to be taking a very long route

i dont hold much confidence in blood tests  or urine tests unless for some very specfIc cancers or even biopsy’s 

The x ray and the US will be a good start

keep us posted

The long route is my fault

The long route is my fault for waiting so long to see the doctor. I was seen on Friday, had the urine, blood work and x-rays done same day and the earliest they could get me in for the ultrasound is next week. It was all handled same day even though they thought i was coming in for a pulled muscle or strain of some kind. I should know the xray results later today.

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    APny said:

I had zero symptoms until I

I had zero symptoms until I peed blood. I thought it was a UTI but my doc felt a CT scan would be a good idea. I'm so glad he thought so. I was diagnosed a week later after the CT scan.

Same here, except I thought it was a kidney stone

Doc ran tests and said we'd redo in a week. Six days later, peeing blood and sever discomfort - not sure if I'd classify it as pain. Left kindey out the next day.

• CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241 Member
    I had

I had no pain or discomfort whatsoever. The docs couldn't believe, kept poking my belly, almost like they wanted it to hurt.

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member

Did the flank pain feel like

Did the flank pain feel like a pulled muscle?

Yes, it did

Yes, it did

Don't worry if there's nothing but a flank pain, it could be anything like a real pulled muscle, kidney stone, or anything else. Your next week Ultrasound eases your mind. It's good to be vigilant so do all you need to do.