Well, this has been INTERESTING!

Tapman63
Tapman63 Member Posts: 137 Member

So, I go in this past Monday (2/19) for a radical neph via laproscopy.  Two or three hours then done.  After about five or six hours, my loved ones started getting a bit concerned.  The doctor finally come out an tells them he opened up an artery and could not get to it to clamp it shut - so I started bleeding out profusely.   He reached in and held the artery closed by hand while a vascular surgeon was called.  The surgeon comes in, makes a nice cut on my left side and stitches me up.  During this time I apparently went through about six units of blood.  My blood pressure dropped to the 60's.  When I finally came out of surgery, my face was all swollen and I was on a vent.  I was also in ICU for three days.  By the next day PB had about doubled, swelling had gone down and I was finally startng to hear about what all went on.

So...although the kidney was removed via lap, I get all the scars and pains associated with an open neph.  So far, I've had zero shoulder pain - I assume it all got out when they had to open me up for the vascular surgeon.  Five days in and....well...it does hurt more than I antiicipated.  It all seems to be with the "extra" cut.  When I cough or have pains, they don't seem to be associated with any of the places the lap was taking place.  I'm trying to stay on top of the pain with pain pills...sleeping a lot...sitting up at a table as much as I can....walking a good bit...I do have to say it gets a little better every day, but I haven't turned that "BIG" corner yet, so I'm anxiously awaiting that.

Sorry if this is rambling, the percocet is starting to kick in.  Have a home care person coming by today to take vitals and an appt Tuesday to get half of my staples out..so onward and upward!!!

Again, thanks to all of you for just being here and making the pre-operation anxiety more bearable.   I'm waiting to hear the pathology (the dr. did say that by visual examination everything looked confined).  When that comes in, I'll update my bio and hopefully be able to comfort some of the newbies that come along scared and unsure like I was.

Yup.  Percocet really kicking in.  Time to go!  Thanks, everyone!

Jim

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    A little rough

Jim,

Sorry about the extras. Hoping from here on that you have a normal recovery.

Icemantoo

• Cinnamongirl
    Cinnamongirl Member Posts: 199 Member
    Wow

So sorry to hear about the rough start. Hoping you turn that corner soon. Thanks for keeping us updated. Your in my prayers hang in there!

Cin

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Oh dear

You did have it rough

what do you remember of those three  days

Praying all  your drama is over and just good news going forward

your poor family must be exhausted 

Annie

• Tapman63

Oh dear

You did have it rough

what do you remember of those three  days

Praying all  your drama is over and just good news going forward

your poor family must be exhausted 

Annie

I have a fair amount of memories

...I didn't know what was going on, but I remember them all working over me and talking aout my BP coming up.  I remember being frustrate that I couldn't communicate and I'd grab one of the nurses hands and start writing letters in her palm..."Am I Ok?"...stuff like that.  It was surreal.  I really didn't know anything about what happened until the next day.  Apparently my face was really swollen from a combination of being in the operation position and all of the fluids they were packing in me.  I did think it was odd how everyone was going out of their way to say how good I was doing.....

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Tapman63 said:

...I didn't know what was going on, but I remember them all working over me and talking aout my BP coming up.  I remember being frustrate that I couldn't communicate and I'd grab one of the nurses hands and start writing letters in her palm..."Am I Ok?"...stuff like that.  It was surreal.  I really didn't know anything about what happened until the next day.  Apparently my face was really swollen from a combination of being in the operation position and all of the fluids they were packing in me.  I did think it was odd how everyone was going out of their way to say how good I was doing.....

Wow, what an experience.  I

Wow, what an experience.  I am surprised they actually told you what happened. Sometimes it is hush, hush, afraid of very deserved lawsuits.  Hope you feel better soon!

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Another WOW from me!

Just get better Tman!

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Tapman63 said:

Oh dear

Well I hope you start to pick up soon

lots of love

annie

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Tapman63 said:

Oh dear

Well I hope you start to pick up soon

lots of love

annie

• Retcenturion
    Retcenturion Member Posts: 240 Member
    Crazy nightmare

That is some scary reading Tapman. Wishing you an uneventful recovery and speedy back to your oldself, you have earned it.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited February 2018 #11
    So sorry it was such an

So sorry it was such an ordeal but I'm glad you're on the way to recovery. Wishing you a very uneventful next few weeks and a good path report.

• orchidgal
    orchidgal Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your update

Sorry to learn about your procedure snag but do appreciate hearing you in good humor (Perc assisted) from the far side of surgery. Mine is this Tuesday and things are getting pretty real. Wishing you an easy recovery. 

• Tapman63
    orchidgal said:

Thanks for your update

Sorry to learn about your procedure snag but do appreciate hearing you in good humor (Perc assisted) from the far side of surgery. Mine is this Tuesday and things are getting pretty real. Wishing you an easy recovery. 

Good luck

I'm sure your surgery will be way more uneventful than mine.    Best of luck and let us know how youre doing.

• Tapman63
    Better every day..

...but still looking forward to the times I can get out of bed without looking like a turtle trying to flip on it's shell.

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    Something similar

Hi Tapman,

Something similar happened to me. In my case blood pressure dropped after they closed me up so they had to open me up agin to find the leak.

My extra cut was a midline cut and I had no problem with it, perhaps because it's not actual muscle there. Not sure.

I also had no pains from gas.

I was in hospital for 9 days and I have wondered if that helped my recovery, which was perfect. Everything healed beautifully and I didn't even take any pain killers at home.

They gave me 9 units of blood and another 3 the next day. I think I had a slower leak than yours but it took them a while to find it.

It's spooky looking up at masked faces dealing with your emergency. I was only awake for a minute but caught the urgent feeling in the air and some rapid and decisive talk.

I admire them all for knowing how to do what they do and for doing it.

Steve.