Diet impact on cancer therapy - Oncologist's Presentation

peterz54
peterz54 Member Posts: 341
edited February 2018 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Here is a talk by oncologist Dr. Dawn Lemanne who incorporates dietary measures to enhance standard of care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_diITmOeCM&t=11s

Consistent with research done by Dr. Seyfried and Dr. Longo who have shown how controlling the amounts and proportions of macronutrients can weaken cancer cells making them more succeptible to chemo or radiation.

Comments

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Great talk!

Thanks so much for sharing. My current Integrative Oncologist prefers Mediterranean diet for his patients. But no sugar and extremely limited carbs. Also promotes 10 servings of vegetables a day, along with juicing and smoothies. 

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777

Great talk!

Thanks so much for sharing. My current Integrative Oncologist prefers Mediterranean diet for his patients. But no sugar and extremely limited carbs. Also promotes 10 servings of vegetables a day, along with juicing and smoothies. 

That was my goal the past

That was my goal the past couple of years - low-carb Metiterranean. Any diet is tough on chemo though.

• peterz54
    Mikenh said:

That was my goal the past

That was my goal the past couple of years - low-carb Metiterranean. Any diet is tough on chemo though.

If you are faced with therapy again...

You might consider reviewing the work of Prof. Longo who has presented evidence of reduced side effects if the patient starts fasting 2 to 3 days in advance of each treatment cycle.   The fast doesn't have to be total abstinance of food but just calorie restricttion on the order of 800 calories per day with about half coming from fat.   This apears to work very well during radiation treatments where there is evidence of synergy - the combination of fasting and radiation resulting in much better outcome.

Several versions of these metabolic approaches are now undergoing larger trials at more medical centers in the US and Europe, so hopefully we will learn how to tweak them better in the near future.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ame4E1rtE&t=1061s     Side effects talked about at about 17 minutes (2017 talk by Dr. Longo PhD at major cancer center in Paris)

• peterz54

Great talk!

It appears

you are getting excellent advice.  

You also get the benefit of plenty of fiber which enhances gut health that is important for overall health including immune fiunction. Enhanced immune function is also anti-cancer.