Please help to understand report

Justinb40y
Justinb40y Member Posts: 22

Hello,

I am 40 year old male.I have long history kidney stone and incidentally 1.5cmX1.6X1.5 tumour was found during sonography and CT scan.I had partial nephroctomy and  was diagnosed with Papiliary renal cell carcinoma type 2 and grade 3.

The report is as below.

specimen

1.Lower margin of renal lesion -Received 2brown tissue pieces aggregate measuing 1X.5X.2 cm

2.Base margin  of renal lesion-Single brown tissue bit measuing 1.3X.5x.4 cm

3.Lateral Margin of renal lesion -Single tissue peice measuing .5X.2X.2cm

4.Superior Maring of renal lesion-Single tissue peice measuing 1X.5X.2cm

5.Medial margin of renal lesion Single tissue peice measuing .8X.5X.3cm

6.Lateral Base  Margin of renal lesion-Single tissue peice measuing .8X.2X.2

wide local excision of renal lesion left kidney speicmen measuing 2.5X1.8x18 cm.Externally a yellowish nodule is seen measuing 1.8X1.4x1.8 cm On cut it show whitish lesion.

Sections from  renal lesion show features of PRCC type 2 and grade 3.

Tumor is confined within the capsule of kidney.No capsular breach is seen. No necrosis/hemorrhage seen

No sacromatous/rhadoid differentiation is seen

Separately received surgical  margin(lower,base,lateral,superior,Medial,lateral base) are free of tumor

Path stage -PT1

what are chances of recurrnece in future? I have read that PRCC is the most agressive type of kideny cancer.Please help in stressful situation.

Thanks,

Comments

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    Welcome Justin

Hi Justin and welcome to the group.

I'm not great at reading path reports. Mine was simpler to read, I think.

But it looks like you tumour is fairly small, Stage 1. That is a good thing.

I can't really answer your question because I don't know anything about papillary rcc. Other people on this forum will know more about it.

We all understand your stress.  Please ask any questions you want to.

Steve.

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Hi justin

Hi justin

As fas as I'm aware, it's a good sign that necrosis and sacromatous are not seen. These two make higher chance of aggressiveness and recurrence.

And it's confined which based on the size means it is stage 1.

Forough

• Justinb40y
    foroughsh said:

Hi justin

Hi justin

As fas as I'm aware, it's a good sign that necrosis and sacromatous are not seen. These two make higher chance of aggressiveness and recurrence.

And it's confined which based on the size means it is stage 1.

Forough

Hi Forough

Hi Forough

Thanks for response.As per Google   5 year survival chances for this type and grade is 55 percentage .Is it true

Thanks

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Justin, for stage 1 PRCC the

Justin, for stage 1 PRCC the 5 year survival chances are 80 percent or better.

https://www.healthline.com/health/papillary-renal-cell-carcinoma#beating-the-odds

• foroughsh

Hi Forough

Hi Forough

Thanks for response.As per Google   5 year survival chances for this type and grade is 55 percentage .Is it true

Thanks

There are some factors which

There are some factors which influence the chance of recurrence, sub type, size, being confined to kidney, necrosis, sacromatouid, grade,... But no one even our own oncologist or urologist can't say it will come back or not. Each person is different than all other patients. Yours in small, confined, clear margins, no necrosis and not sacromatous differentiation, these are good news, focus on them and don't let Dr.Google disappoints you.

I almost googled 24/7 during first months of my diagnosis and it made me depressed, I lost my hope by reading about all not so good ending of other patients on the Internet. Finally I decided not to google any more because I did it when I was hopeless but it made me much more hopeless at the end. So I know it's easier said than done but do your best not to google, they are outdated and who knows they are trustworthy! Focus on the good side, the size and stage. Mine was 10 cm and I had my surgery 3 1/2 years ago, I'm NED now. 

Wishingyou many many NED years to come

Take care

Forough

• Justinb40y
    Hi Forough

Hi Forough

Thanks for response.This is very stressed situation for me.What diet changes I should make to avoid recurrence possibility

Thanks

• foroughsh
    Every one here understands

Every one here understands you, it's quite normal to feel stressed at the beginning.

It's best to drink loads of water and less salt to improve your kidney's function.

I asked the same question from my nutritionist and he said no one knew the reason of cancer so no one knew what helped to decrease reccurence chane. But it's good to eat organic foods and fruits, red color veggies help your immune system, reduce your intake of suger, fast foods, pre cooked foods, alkohol,....

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    Nobody knows...

Hi Justin,

I've never seen a good answer to the kidney/cancer diet question.

The general recommendation for kidney health is a diet without too much salt or protein.

As for cancer... The waters seem very muddy. Opinions vary a lot, so 'eat healthy'. You should do your own research and see what makes sense to you. It is hard to make lifestyle changes unless you have a high level of interest.

If you are diabetic or headed that way then a low carb diet is essential.

Steve.

• Justinb40y
    Hi Forough and Steve

Hi Forough and Steve

I am drinking lot 4 liter water daily

Having wheat grass juice carrot juice and beet juice Also Apple and orange daily.In vegetables I am having broccoli and leeks frequently

Book how not to die suggest lot of vegetables but maybe all are not available

I hope this will help in certain extent

Thanks