Pancreatic Cancer -2015

2»

Comments

• Oneshot
    Oneshot Member Posts: 153 Member
    edited June 2017 #22
    Hello Elpaso dude

Glad you were able to find the thread!   Also am glad to see you are feeling comfortable as possible with all your attending medical staff.  Mine were GREAT in how they treated me from the start .     I was lucky mine were doctors who were dedicated to pancreatic and stomach cancers.  It does make a difference when fighting this monster.  I'm sort of surprized your doctors haven't let you know what stage yours is in after 2 months.   But I'm no dr. and am just going off of what I had experienced.    If I can give you food for thought or just be a sounding board. Let me know by posting or private email on this site.

I will try to get to this site more often than I have the last few months. 

I noticed your handle  "El Paso Dude"  .  It made me think back to my Army days and Ft. Bliss.  So I guess chemo didn't take all my memories.. snicker!

Take Care and GOD BLESS!

Oneshot

• Oneshot
    BUMP

Smile

• Oneshot
    Bump and

Just trying to make the thread easier to find for those who are new . 

As for myself. I will be going back for more labs later this month.  Labs a couple of months back showed my liver counts to be out of wack.  Doctors and family are hoping it was the suppliment I had been taking that cause it.  Will see! 

Will post results . When I get them.

Keeping all in Prayer,

Oneshot

• Oneshot
    Good news

Had follow up labs done on the 27'th. Had to quit taking a suppliment that gave me good energy and helped me battle fatigue after seeing liver counts going crazy on last labs done a few months earlier.  The good news is. That was what caused the high liver counts.    

While I did feel I had more energy taking this natural suppliment.  I neglected to tell my oncologist until my liver counts showed way out of wack.  So, instead of my twice a yr. labs.  I had three this yr.   Not to mention a little more stress for my family.   

While this post is "Good News" for all involved.   I will have to remind myself. "Just because it worked for me before pancreatic cancer. Doesn't mean it works the same 9 yrs. after."  

Anyway, That's the update!

Oneshot

• mybookroom
    mybookroom Member Posts: 1
    Pancreatic Cyst in main duct After breast cancer

Hello. Just got done with Stage 2 breast cancer last year - very good prognosis.  Caught it extremely eary. And then during a virus and a stay in ER and a CT scan the ER doc showed me the scan and said I had Diverticulitus - I read the scan and noticed the 1.9 cm cyst and slightly dialated pancreatic main duct and asked him "what about that' and he said, probably nothing.  Hmm. I took that right to my gastro doc the next week. He did an EUC the next day, got a consult with a good specialty surgeron the next week, MRI with contrast, yadada yadada yadada.  Whipple will be done 1/29/18.  Results from the EUS came back inconclusive but my gastro doc said it looks like cancer - and I trust him as he is very good. So, it's 1.9 cm CYST.  It  looks like it will PROBABLY be resectable... I guess I'm looking for any info. I'm thinking it could be invasive and I'd have a year left, or it could be nothing and I'll be find after the whipple. Has any one gone through one like this.  I'm really getting  a little tired of cancer  first breast cancer now this?   But please any info out there would be appreciated. One odd thing. I had a lot off pain under my left ribs for a month or so  but after getting antibiotics  it has all gone away. Can cancer act  like that, get less painfull?  Weird. really really weird.

• Showercurtain
    Showercurtain Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018 #27

Pancreatic Cyst in main duct After breast cancer

Hello. Just got done with Stage 2 breast cancer last year - very good prognosis.  Caught it extremely eary. And then during a virus and a stay in ER and a CT scan the ER doc showed me the scan and said I had Diverticulitus - I read the scan and noticed the 1.9 cm cyst and slightly dialated pancreatic main duct and asked him "what about that' and he said, probably nothing.  Hmm. I took that right to my gastro doc the next week. He did an EUC the next day, got a consult with a good specialty surgeron the next week, MRI with contrast, yadada yadada yadada.  Whipple will be done 1/29/18.  Results from the EUS came back inconclusive but my gastro doc said it looks like cancer - and I trust him as he is very good. So, it's 1.9 cm CYST.  It  looks like it will PROBABLY be resectable... I guess I'm looking for any info. I'm thinking it could be invasive and I'd have a year left, or it could be nothing and I'll be find after the whipple. Has any one gone through one like this.  I'm really getting  a little tired of cancer  first breast cancer now this?   But please any info out there would be appreciated. One odd thing. I had a lot off pain under my left ribs for a month or so  but after getting antibiotics  it has all gone away. Can cancer act  like that, get less painfull?  Weird. really really weird.

I had a Whipple 10/31/13

Hello there.  I had a Whipple procedure done 10/31/13. I am sure you are quite anxious about your upcoming surgery.  Please let me know how I can help guide you through it.  It’s a major surgery as you are aware, and I would be happy to answer any questions.

I have had Colon, Pancreatic, Ovarian, Uterine and Skin Cancer.  So I hear you on The “tired of cancer” comment!!

• Oneshot
    Bump

Just bumping up post so folks that are new can find them

• Uncivilized
    Uncivilized Member Posts: 2
    8 months post-Whipple

Diagnosed with stage 2b pancreatic cancer last October, after my eyes turned yellow and my urine turned technicolor orange and my skin itches so bad I scratched it raw... took me a while to take the hint! Totally respectable, clea margins but they found it in two of I dunno how many lymph nodes they took. Soooo...5 months of gemzar and xeloda, once a week, last scan in May was clear and my CA 19-9 was 12. Doing 6 weeks of radiation and more xeloda as part of a clinical trial. So far so good, except now I’m getting monster panic attacks, scared to death I only have a little while left and imagining the end all sorts of ways. It’s not like me to be this way. Not getting a lot of emotional support from my husband, he seems to think there’s nothing to worry about, all he’s interested in doing is going out to buy a new truck. Dude, I might not be here in 5 years, and I might not be ablie to work full time if something else happens! Don’t know how to calm down...

• Uncivilized
    Uncivilized Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018 #30
    Oneshot said:

Panic attacks

Uncivilized,

I'm had similar symptoms,battles and a variety of reactions from family and friends. Maybe, I can share a small part of my battle(s) with stage 3 pancreatic cancer.  I had the itching you mentioned. Yes, it was enough to drive a person totally mad. Cut my nails and even went so far as to put 2 socks over each hand. It didn't stop me from scratching though!  Sorry to say , I don't recall what the medicine was they gave me. But it sure worked!  Also, The panic attacks,hopelessness and worry about all the stuff that needed to be taken care of after being told my situation. Well that , as you now seem to be experiencing, not only took the wind out of my sails (as well as my wife's) but, it also felt like the the masts had been all broken. The ship had hit the rocks hard and the waves were breaking the ship apart. Faster than I could find a piece of wood to grab onto. To keep afloat!  The good news is....They have antidepressants for just that problem.  This is coming from a person who prior to pancreatic cancer. Would never had believed I'd ever take them!   I will say this. They allowed my mind to sort out the whirwind of events and thoughts going on in my my head. That's on top of the pain pancreatic cancer itself causes you  As my oncologist told me. "This is exactly why they were made!"    In my case . After a month I quit taking them and never got into that tailspin again! Even with several more bad news events that came up later. So, DON'T shame yourself if, you have to take them. 

As far as what you say about your husband, I'm no psychologist. But, some folks get into total denial and are literally to afraid to admit this is happening to their family member or friend.   I have seen that more often than not in my lifetime.   Just remember each person deals with the news of cancer . In many different ways. It can be more frightening to the loved ones than to the person who has the cancer. In my opinion!

As far as how I dealt with all the crap cancer dealt me.  Again, remember, each person deals with it differently. Myself, I was in constant pain. So I got very little to no rest. But the way I saw it. I'd find any way I could to make it a positive.  I'm quite sure there were times my wife thought I was totally insane!  I did think about the five year survival rate at first. Even though I was told I might get 6 months with the Whipple. So I focused on each day. If I woke up in pain. Which was quite often.  I twisted it around to my advantage  " I'm still here hurting like LORD knows what!  This means I must be winning!"  Then Charlie Sheen ruined it!   With his "I'm winning!"   What I'm trying to get at is.  It's normal to get scared. You have a darn good reason to be. We all go through it.  Just don't let it get the better of you.  I'm not saying it easy to do, but, it can be done. Each of us has had to shake off that initial scared to death feeling. Find whatever it is that works for you. Books, phonecalls, computer, prayer, etc.  

Also,  just so  you'll know ahead of time. As time passes and your scans get further apart. (remember that's a good thing!) As the day gets closer for your scan. You might notice yourself getting nervous. Most cancer survivors I have talked with say they get a case of nerves as the scan date gets closer.  Mine starts about a week before I go to my labs. And I don't get scans nowdays. 

Also check this site out . It's for pancreatic cancer .    https://www.pancan.org

Sorry I got so long winded

Take Care and GOD BLESS,

Oneshot

Thank you!

Thanks for your response - it’s good to know I’m not the only person who’s experienced this. I’ve been on antidepressants for years - for anxiety, of course - but I’ve never experienced a thing like this. Just out of nowhere, for no good reason. Maybe because I’m just plain worn out...my daily radiation treatments are an hour and a half away, each way. On top of trying to work as full-time as I can, going in at 5 AM, then leaving at noon to drive to the hospital for my 15 minute treatment and driving back. Monday through Friday. It’s a lot. I’ve got a pretty good outlook on things most of the time, but when the panic creeps up...ugh.

• Oneshot

8 months post-Whipple

Diagnosed with stage 2b pancreatic cancer last October, after my eyes turned yellow and my urine turned technicolor orange and my skin itches so bad I scratched it raw... took me a while to take the hint! Totally respectable, clea margins but they found it in two of I dunno how many lymph nodes they took. Soooo...5 months of gemzar and xeloda, once a week, last scan in May was clear and my CA 19-9 was 12. Doing 6 weeks of radiation and more xeloda as part of a clinical trial. So far so good, except now I’m getting monster panic attacks, scared to death I only have a little while left and imagining the end all sorts of ways. It’s not like me to be this way. Not getting a lot of emotional support from my husband, he seems to think there’s nothing to worry about, all he’s interested in doing is going out to buy a new truck. Dude, I might not be here in 5 years, and I might not be ablie to work full time if something else happens! Don’t know how to calm down...

Panic attacks

Uncivilized,

I'm had similar symptoms,battles and a variety of reactions from family and friends. Maybe, I can share a small part of my battle(s) with stage 3 pancreatic cancer.  I had the itching you mentioned. Yes, it was enough to drive a person totally mad. Cut my nails and even went so far as to put 2 socks over each hand. It didn't stop me from scratching though!  Sorry to say , I don't recall what the medicine was they gave me. But it sure worked!  Also, The panic attacks,hopelessness and worry about all the stuff that needed to be taken care of after being told my situation. Well that , as you now seem to be experiencing, not only took the wind out of my sails (as well as my wife's) but, it also felt like the the masts had been all broken. The ship had hit the rocks hard and the waves were breaking the ship apart. Faster than I could find a piece of wood to grab onto. To keep afloat!  The good news is....They have antidepressants for just that problem.  This is coming from a person who prior to pancreatic cancer. Would never had believed I'd ever take them!   I will say this. They allowed my mind to sort out the whirwind of events and thoughts going on in my my head. That's on top of the pain pancreatic cancer itself causes you  As my oncologist told me. "This is exactly why they were made!"    In my case . After a month I quit taking them and never got into that tailspin again! Even with several more bad news events that came up later. So, DON'T shame yourself if, you have to take them. 

As far as what you say about your husband, I'm no psychologist. But, some folks get into total denial and are literally to afraid to admit this is happening to their family member or friend.   I have seen that more often than not in my lifetime.   Just remember each person deals with the news of cancer . In many different ways. It can be more frightening to the loved ones than to the person who has the cancer. In my opinion!

As far as how I dealt with all the crap cancer dealt me.  Again, remember, each person deals with it differently. Myself, I was in constant pain. So I got very little to no rest. But the way I saw it. I'd find any way I could to make it a positive.  I'm quite sure there were times my wife thought I was totally insane!  I did think about the five year survival rate at first. Even though I was told I might get 6 months with the Whipple. So I focused on each day. If I woke up in pain. Which was quite often.  I twisted it around to my advantage  " I'm still here hurting like LORD knows what!  This means I must be winning!"  Then Charlie Sheen ruined it!   With his "I'm winning!"   What I'm trying to get at is.  It's normal to get scared. You have a darn good reason to be. We all go through it.  Just don't let it get the better of you.  I'm not saying it easy to do, but, it can be done. Each of us has had to shake off that initial scared to death feeling. Find whatever it is that works for you. Books, phonecalls, computer, prayer, etc.  

Also,  just so  you'll know ahead of time. As time passes and your scans get further apart. (remember that's a good thing!) As the day gets closer for your scan. You might notice yourself getting nervous. Most cancer survivors I have talked with say they get a case of nerves as the scan date gets closer.  Mine starts about a week before I go to my labs. And I don't get scans nowdays. 

Also check this site out . It's for pancreatic cancer .    https://www.pancan.org

Sorry I got so long winded

Take Care and GOD BLESS,

Oneshot

• Patfar58
    Patfar58 Member Posts: 1
    Increase in Ca 19-9 reading after treatment

My husband was diagnosed with stage II pancreatic cancer a year and a half ago.   He underwent a whipple and 6 months of chemo and has done well.  He is in the ”surveillance” phase and had a Cat scan that was clear in November and A reading of 12.5 for the CA 19-9.  Over the past few months, his glucose readings have been much higher, his insulin has had to be increased.  His CA 19-9 reading was up to 36.8, 2 weeks ago. I am feeling like alarms are going off but wondering if this is a normal occurrence and not to panic.  Has anyone had any experience with this?