Jim passed away

Noellesmom
Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member

My husband of forty years passed away last Friday, December 29 at 7:47 p.m. he survived 7.5 years after successful treatment for Stage 4 hypopharyngeal cancer.  There were a couple of other small cancers along the way but it looks like a new growth previously undetected blocked his airway. Instead of a tracheotomy, I opted for palliative care which quickly converted to hospice with Jim leaving us 48 hours later.

Had Jim not had multiple co-morbidities - congestive heart failure and stage 4 COPD among them - the decision for palliative and hospice would have been more difficult.

His memorial service is tomorrow. I am so torn between being happy for Jim that he is with our Lord and intensely sad that he is not here with me. Losing your high school sweetheart is difficult. No one can ever know how deeply we loved other or how much I miss him. Two hearts became one when we met: I will miss him every day for the rest of my life.

Comments

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2018 #2
    So sorry

So sorry to hear about your husband.    Remember that Jim is in a better place and has no pain now.  My prayers are with you.

Wishing you peace and comofrt

• JosephK
    JosephK Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2018 #3
    I feel your pain. I'm so

I feel your pain. I'm so sorry for you loss. I truly understand your feeling of loss and I hope in time you will find peace. May God be with you in your time of need.

• GingerMay
    GingerMay Member Posts: 134
    Condolences

Noellesmom I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved husband. There are no words.  I hate this disease.   

• HopeButterfly
    HopeButterfly Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for your loss

So sorry for your loss.  I just lost my dad to pancreatic cancer.  He was only here 21 days after he received diagnosis.  Since he knew I had watch my friend with ovarian cancer fight it and then lose her life to it, he looked to me for advice.  We both felt like it was best to live the best he could until he was called home.  I knew there was I reason for me to move closer at hand but would have never guessed this or that I would have to step up so early.  

Do you have any kids?  I am having difficulties with helping my mom through this.

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    I do have children

Twenty one days. Wow. Shock has got to be a big factor. I hope your father did not suffer too much as I have heard this can be a very painful cancer.

It is still early days for me so I don't have a lot of advice. Time is important in healing.