SIRT Y90 for Liver Tumors - Any opinions/experience?

debugy2k
debugy2k Member Posts: 85 Member

Hi,

Came back from the hospital with a 2nd opinion from another oncologist.  Mom has stage 4 colon cancer met liver.  Been on a few chemo combinations for 2 years.  Now this new oncologist says that mom is a good candidate for SIRT Y90 for her liver tumors.  Anyone got experience with SIRT Y90?  Any bad side effects?  I did some research and it seems it has high success rate.

Comments

• phuckcancer
    phuckcancer Member Posts: 63 Member
    oh I would like to know as

oh I would like to know as well... we were just told he is a candidate

• Grampa2017
    Grampa2017 Member Posts: 6
    Shows promise

I don't have any experience with this either. Sorry...I have just started research into this, in hope it will help my wife. She was diognosed with mCRC with inoperable met of the liver. We have an consultation at MD Anderson on the 1st to assess the effectiveness of her current treatment plan of folfox + aveston. I'll bring it up then.

Mitch

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Shows promise

I don't have any experience with this either. Sorry...I have just started research into this, in hope it will help my wife. She was diognosed with mCRC with inoperable met of the liver. We have an consultation at MD Anderson on the 1st to assess the effectiveness of her current treatment plan of folfox + aveston. I'll bring it up then.

Mitch

Welcome to the forum, Mitch.

I am sorry about your wife's diagnosis. 

I wish you both luck as you move forward.  And I love your avatar/picture. 

Tru

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Y90

I know there are folks on the forum who have had the Y90 procedure. Hopefully they'll be along soon to share. 

When my insurance decided not to cover my liver ablation, my surgeon suggested Y90. I ended up with the ablation though - after the surgeon himself took on the insurance company - 

Good luck. 

Tru

• Grampa2017
    Grampa2017 Member Posts: 6
    The journey

Thank you Tru,

Our journey has just begun. My wife will have her fourth treatment this morning. Fortunately, she still feels well and remains upbeat.

I've been lurking around trying to soak up as much info as possible. My thanks to everyone for sharing so much of their experiences.

• debugy2k
    My mom is scheduled for the

My mom is scheduled for the Y90 procedure for next month.  It's a 3 part procedure that spread out over a 2 month period.  First they take a body scan map of your blood vessels.  Then a week afterwards will start on the Y90 on one liver.  Stay overnight for observations and hydrations.  Then next month they will do the other liver with overnight stay as well.  They say the procedure is pretty safe and success rates are high.  It won't cure the liver but definitely will shrink the tumors in there so that your liver won't work so hard and therefore will prolong your life.  Will keep you guys updated on the whole progress once we get started.

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited October 2017 #8
    I had the procedure in April

I had the procedure in April 2017.  It went really well and my CEA level have been really low since. I remember feeling sick to my stomach for qute a while afterwards. Flu like symptoms are a side effect.   Mine was outpatient for the mapping of arteries and the infusion of the radioactive beads.  

Hope everything goes well for you Mom.

Joan 

• debugy2k
    edited October 2017 #9
    Joan M said:

I had the procedure in April

I had the procedure in April 2017.  It went really well and my CEA level have been really low since. I remember feeling sick to my stomach for qute a while afterwards. Flu like symptoms are a side effect.   Mine was outpatient for the mapping of arteries and the infusion of the radioactive beads.  

Hope everything goes well for you Mom.

Joan 

Thanks for the info!How long

Thanks for the info!
    How long was the actual procedure?  Did it require an overnight stay for observations?

• phuckcancer
    phuckcancer Member Posts: 63 Member
    this week

my hubby goes in friday for mapping and 1st treatment next week... 2 weeks later 3rd portion of treatment . i will update on our experience throughout

would love for others who have had it to respond :)

• debugy2k

this week

my hubby goes in friday for mapping and 1st treatment next week... 2 weeks later 3rd portion of treatment . i will update on our experience throughout

would love for others who have had it to respond :)

Good luck to your hubby!! 

Good luck to your hubby!!  Let me know how it goes.  My mom's mapping is on Monday.  So let me know so I can prepare her mentally for it!  Thanks!!

• Makord
    Makord Member Posts: 37
    Good luck with this! Where

Good luck with this! Where can I read more about this procedure? Haven't heard of it. Does anyone know if it's appropriate for rectal cancer stage 4 with mets in both liver and lungs? 

• debugy2k
    Makord said:

Good luck with this! Where

Good luck with this! Where can I read more about this procedure? Haven't heard of it. Does anyone know if it's appropriate for rectal cancer stage 4 with mets in both liver and lungs? 

SIRT Y90 is for liver only I

SIRT Y90 is for liver only I think.  First they map the veins in your body.  Then they inject thousands of tiny radiactive spheres in your bloodstream where it feeds to the liver tumors.  Those tiny spheres give direct radiation to the liver tumors.  Radioaction usually lasts 1-2 weeks.  And yes, those tiny spheres will stay in your body but should be perfectly safe.

• debugy2k
    edited November 2017 #14
    Y90 vein mapping procedure

In the waiting room waiting for mom to finish her vein mapping.  So here's to update on people that would like to know what they do on the procedure for the mapping.

They take standard vitals, give fluid iv drip.  An anesthesiologist will put you under for the whole procedure.  They will put in a line in the vein on the right groin area.  They will guide the line towards the liver area where they inject contrast so that the machine can see the veins and maps it.  Procedure will take about 1 hour and they want you to stay an additional 4 hours so they can monitor you and make sure you clot properly.  Also make sure you have someone to drive you home as well.

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    SIRT Y90 - for "multiple, dispersed liver mets?"

Would anyone know - Can this procedure be used for multiple liver mets and/or lesions that are dispersed? CT scans have noted that my larger tumours have shown to be smaller, and that there are not as many smaller ones showing up in the CT scan, although my Onco is saying that they may still be there, just not able to see - still dispersed.  For those who are having this procedure done, or have had it done, I would appreciate if you would report on the procedure - as it may be something I could have in the future.  Thanks so much.

• debugy2k
    Bellen said:

SIRT Y90 - for "multiple, dispersed liver mets?"

Would anyone know - Can this procedure be used for multiple liver mets and/or lesions that are dispersed? CT scans have noted that my larger tumours have shown to be smaller, and that there are not as many smaller ones showing up in the CT scan, although my Onco is saying that they may still be there, just not able to see - still dispersed.  For those who are having this procedure done, or have had it done, I would appreciate if you would report on the procedure - as it may be something I could have in the future.  Thanks so much.

Yes, multiple liver mets ok. 

Yes, multiple liver mets ok.  My mom going to get the Y90 on 3 liver tumors.

• debugy2k
    Y90 Vein Mapping Results

Got done with the vein mapping.  Mom is mostly resting and laying down to keep the weight off the leg where they entered through the groin area.  Have to keep weight off it for a few days so that it will heal up properly.  We have GREAT NEWS!!  We're doing the Y90 procedure to target 3 tumors in the liver.  CT scans show 2 on the right liver and one on the left liver.  The GREAT NEWS is that the one on the left liver is actually located in the middle of the body closer to the right liver.  And that specific tumor (left liver) is actually being fed by the veins from the right liver.  Therefore mom only needed ONE Y90 procedure to take care of those 3 tumors!!  

In other news, our anesthesiologist is a Norse God...His first name is Thor!! Dr. Thor Milland. Now I'm imagining that the Y90 micro spheres are made by Stark Industries. Laughing

• Bellen
    How many liver tumors?

Hello debugy - Does your Mom have more liver tumors than the 3 that they did the procedure on?  Just wondering if they would do this procedure on the larger tumors even if there are smaller, dispersed ones.  Yes, very good news about needing only one procedure.  Wishing your Mom well in her recovery.  All the best.

• debugy2k
    edited November 2017 #19
    Bellen said:

How many liver tumors?

Hello debugy - Does your Mom have more liver tumors than the 3 that they did the procedure on?  Just wondering if they would do this procedure on the larger tumors even if there are smaller, dispersed ones.  Yes, very good news about needing only one procedure.  Wishing your Mom well in her recovery.  All the best.

Her main cancer is colon

Her main cancer is colon cancer and mets liver.  From what the oncologist says, she has multiple liver tumors but these 3 are the largest ones.  They're going to let regular chemo take care of the smaller ones.  Her actual Y90 radiation procedure will happen next week.  Will let you guys know how it goes and what side effects it might present with.

• Bellen
    CRC with multiple liver mets

Hello debugy - I have CRC with multiple liver mets.  Have had a little over a yr of folfiri chemo and the larger tumours have shrunk each time I have CT scan.  At first I was told I had about 15 dispersed tumours.  Asked the other day, and was told they saw about 8-9, although some may still be there, but are just not showing up in the scan.  My Onco skyped with other Oncologists and liver surgeons, and they all agreed that I should continue with current chemo cocktail.  He did not say that any liver procedure was recommended at this point.  The one thing he did suggest, because I have been having red and white blood cell issues, and lots of other side effects, is to have a much longer break (about 2 1/2 mos to give my system a chance to get strong again).  Please keep us updated on your Mom's recovery and wishing her all the best.  It sounds like we may have a similar diagnosis.

• debugy2k
    Bellen said:

CRC with multiple liver mets

Hello debugy - I have CRC with multiple liver mets.  Have had a little over a yr of folfiri chemo and the larger tumours have shrunk each time I have CT scan.  At first I was told I had about 15 dispersed tumours.  Asked the other day, and was told they saw about 8-9, although some may still be there, but are just not showing up in the scan.  My Onco skyped with other Oncologists and liver surgeons, and they all agreed that I should continue with current chemo cocktail.  He did not say that any liver procedure was recommended at this point.  The one thing he did suggest, because I have been having red and white blood cell issues, and lots of other side effects, is to have a much longer break (about 2 1/2 mos to give my system a chance to get strong again).  Please keep us updated on your Mom's recovery and wishing her all the best.  It sounds like we may have a similar diagnosis.

Definitely seems like same

Definitely seems like same situation.  We've been on chemo for 2 years.  Been off chemo for 2 months since we switched oncologist.  And this new oncologist is way more knowledgeable than our original one.  That's why she suggested the Y90 procedure since it would be good for mom.  She was surprised that the original oncologist didn't recommend it for over half a year since she was a good candidate for it.  So the most important is that you get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on your situation.  Some other oncologist might have better ideas or just more skilled.  Even this new oncologist told us to go check out clinical trials which she helped us setup.  

Hope everything is well with you and wishing you all the best.