Elevated Ferritin, is it a biomarker?

lobbyist0724
lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member

Does anyone has experience with elevated ferritin level? I am having rotator cuff tendonitis which inflammation can be the reason.  But wondering does ferritin related to RCC as well?

Also, for follow ups, what are they looking in the blood test?

Thank you!

Comments

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member
    I had anemia recently and was

I had anemia recently and was told to never draw blood for ferritin when sick - any imflammation or simple cold makes it falsely elevated.

I also heard that cancer is more related to anemia (which means low ferritin). Never heard of cancer being connected with high ferritin levels

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    I have rcc and my iron is

I have rcc and my iron is only at 5!!!!! I too have only heard of low being associated with it.

• lobbyist0724
    Thank you all, still waiting

Thank you all, still waiting for my scan result, therefore I have been more on the worry side. This is a problem in Canada, need to wait 4 weeks just to see the results...

• Jen T
    Jen T Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2017 #5
    I don't think it's a bio

I don't think it's a bio marker for cancer but it can be an indication of other disease including inflamation, liver disease, iron overload (hemochromatosis) and kidney disease. Depending on how significantly over normal limits you'll probably want to investigate it further with your doctor.

• lobbyist0724
    Thank you Jen T, I missed

Thank you Jen T, I missed your reply. Yes, my doctor was concern about it is being fatty liver or hemochromatosis. But Ultrasound shows that fatty liver is not mentioned anymore and my genetic test shows that I do not have hemochromatosis, and Kidney doing is well about the partial nephrotecmy. So she doesn't seem to be concerned anymore.

• lobbyist0724
    Hi all, hope all is well. I

Hi all, hope all is well. I haven't post much because of work but is still checking in daily. 

I am still having high ferritin which is over 1300, and the GP doesn't seem to be too concern about it. She mentioned that she thought the cancer is the reason. I found more literature about the relationship with solid tumors and ferritin, but not in any guideline. Worrying is it recurrence related.

Does anyone have high ferritin here? Or is your doctor also monitoring your ferritin on your checkup?

Thank you!

Carmen

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16391438

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10436426