Question for anyone who has had radiation treatment for Prostate Cancer

New to the forum and looks like some interesting information on cancer.  I finished up 44 radiation treatments for prostate cancer about 13 months ago.  The treatment was not that difficult physically and I never had any of the issues typically mentioned by my Oncologist.  I was able to maintain my exercise and full work schedule during the treatments with no problems.

The blood tests, CT Scan, PET scans, etc. since then have all been good with no issues or signs of reoccurance, etc.  My last PSA was .4 about a year after the treatment.

My questions revolve around issues that seem to be happening now.  I am getting pains in my hips, lower back, end of tailbone, etc. that I never had before and my fasting blood sugar which has always been great has started to creep up for some reason (A1C is still good).  I am 5'9" and 160 lbs, exercise every day and am in very good shape for 64 years old.  I have been eating LCHF with no wheat for years and nothing in my diet has changed.  I am wondering if it is possible that some of these issues in my joints, etc. are just delayed reactions to the radiation treatment and I should not worry about them.  Just concerened that they are continuing and I have never had these issues before and if the long term effects of the radiation treatment may be causing some of these issues.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 978 Member
    Talk to your Doctor

Hi,

You might want to talk to your doctor about your pains.  Could or could not have anything to do with your treatments but the doctors should be able to figure it out with some tests & scans.

Dave 3+4

• picknstrum
    picknstrum Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2017 #3

Talk to your Doctor

Hi,

You might want to talk to your doctor about your pains.  Could or could not have anything to do with your treatments but the doctors should be able to figure it out with some tests & scans.

Dave 3+4

Thanks, I was going to as I

Thanks, I was going to as I have a physical coming up soon but just wanted to get some feedback from others as to what they have experienced.  I have heard that many symptoms from the radiation are delayed and show up over time and just like to have more data points when I talk to him.  It could be coincidental but most of the joint pain, etc. is around the area where the radiation treatment occured as it is done at many points rotating around and through the hips, colon and other organs in the area.

Thanks again,

• Old-timer
    Old-timer Member Posts: 196
    My experience with radiation

I underwent 35 radiation treatments for prostate cancer 12 years ago. I had none of the symptoms you mention. Radiation caused scar tissue on the uretha; it did not control the cancer. Hormone therapy has worked well. Good luck to you--you are so very young.

Old-timer

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member

There is a more aggressive level of prostate cancer that is diagnosed for those who eat a high fat diet. Heart healthy is prostate and diabeties  healthy. Our body is designed to consume a predominantly plant-based, whole foods diet occasionally enhanced with small quantities of animal protein.

Your PSA of 0.4 is fine, however you did not mention the history of your PSAs after treatment.

You say that you exercise every day, which is good, however I wonder what exercises you do. It is possible that the exercise that you do may the cause of your back pain. You may consider taking some time off from your exercise routine, and see how you feel.

• picknstrum
    picknstrum Member Posts: 3

There is a more aggressive level of prostate cancer that is diagnosed for those who eat a high fat diet. Heart healthy is prostate and diabeties  healthy. Our body is designed to consume a predominantly plant-based, whole foods diet occasionally enhanced with small quantities of animal protein.

Your PSA of 0.4 is fine, however you did not mention the history of your PSAs after treatment.

You say that you exercise every day, which is good, however I wonder what exercises you do. It is possible that the exercise that you do may the cause of your back pain. You may consider taking some time off from your exercise routine, and see how you feel.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply.

My PSA before the treatment was 9.66 and had been going up for several years. One month after treatment was 2.74, at 3 month intervals after that was 1.49, .8 and then .4.  I am now on 6 month checks as I was before the treatment.  Gleason score before was 7 (3+4).

My LCHF is probably more of a low carb, no grain mediterranean diet.  I get lots of vegetables, fruits, avacodos, and other plant foods as well as different types of nuts.  I typically use olive oil, macadamia nut oil and avocado oil along with coconut oil - which provides the majority of my fats.  I have tried Keto < 20 carbs a day but like vegetables and fruits too much so now am around a 50 to 60 carb a day range.  Red meat only once a week and fish/chicken otherwise.

As far as the pain goes, it could be related to the exercise but feels different.  I have had injuries from sports before but this feels different.  I typically jog, fast walk or cycle almost every day and weights once a week as well as check my HRV daily and do not work out hard on days when it is off.  This feels more like an accelerated arthritis in my hips than an injury or other type of pain.  I have arthritis but my knees, ankles, etc. are not getting as stiff/painful when I sit as my hips.  As the raidation went in through my hips, colon, bladder, etc. around the prostate, it just makes me wonder if the radiation is playing any part.  While it killed off the cancer cells, it could, just like exposure to other radiation, cause some long term effects and that is what I am attempting to quantify.  The tailbone pain is also unique as I have never had it before and I have not banged or impacted it, could just be coincidence.   I also have mild spina bifida occulta which causes some lower back pain but as mentioned, this just feels different.  Could just be getting older and trying to stave off the process.

Thanks again,

• hopeful and optimistic
    edited September 2017 #7

Here is a google result from the american heart association about diet, that I suggest that you review and follow for a healthy outcome

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp#.WcfojZKlw2w

Many of us who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer have positively changed our diets. Many at this forum follow a Mederterrain diet. I for one do not eat dairy or meat, or chicken. I eat a veggie based diet with a small amount of fish.

Here are some quick googles on some of the foods that you eat.

(I did not research all of the foods that you eat, but you can determine the American Heart Association recommendation , Virtually all recommendations for heart health are the same as for prostate cancer. Many who have been diagnosed follow a mediterranian diet. Some eat only a veggie diet. I personally do not eat dairy, red meat or chicken. I eat veggies and a small amount of fish on occassion. I radically limit my salt, sugar and oil intake. I do not add oil to my foods. I do eat nut, but no peanuts.)

Coconut oil

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/The-Skinny-on-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp#.WcfmNZKlw2w

"The majority of saturated fat comes from animal products such as beef, lamb, pork, poultry with skin, butter, cream, cheese and other dairy products made from whole or 2 percent milk. All of these foods also contain dietary cholesterol. Foods from plants that contain saturated fat include coconut, coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil (often called tropical oils) and cocoa butter. For people who need to lower their cholesterol, the American Heart Association recommends reducing saturated fat to no more than 5 to 6 percent of total daily calories."

Is the Keto diet good for diabeties

But the ketogenic (ketodiet, high in fat and low in carbs, can potentially change the way your body stores and uses energy, easing diabetes symptoms. ... Theketogenic diet may improve blood glucose (sugar) levels while also reducing the need for insulin.Aug 13, 2014

• hopeful and optimistic
    edited September 2017 #8
    copy and paste

had problems with copy and paste on the above, so continue

As far as your pain, I suggest that you see your GP or Internist. As a lay person i doubt that it is related to the cancer. It very well may be Mr. Arthur Ritus. The doctor can do an image test. Additionally you may wish to ask about a bone scan. This at the least will be great for a benchmark

"Men need bone density scans to watch for osteoporosis, too, the Endocrine Society urged. In a new set of clinical guidelines, the society recommends dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) imaging for men ages 70 and older, as well as for those ages 50 to 69 who have risk factors like low body weight or smoking.Jun 20, 2012"

• hopeful and optimistic
    edited September 2017 #9
    psa's from radiation

Congratuations on the decline of your PSA. Well done....many times about 18 to 24 months out or so, there is temporary increase in PSA, so don't be alarmed if you notice an increase.