6 month post prostatectomy/diverticulotomy

Damp
Damp Member Posts: 25 Member

I'm new here, so here is a little history.  I am 70 years old recovering from a combined prostatectomy and diverticulotomy.  I have a fairly complicated history of bladder issues.  I have had some incontinence problems for some time.  Nine years ago, I had green light prostate surgery which helped my retention some, but not the incontinence much.  I also have/had several bladder diverticulum; one about the size of a grapefruit...urologists words.  I have had numerous tests, tried about every kind of med, and still continue to have a variety of stress and urge incontinence.  After all these tests, the final ones (urodynamic studies, true biopsy, mri. etc), it was determined I had gleason score 7 prostate cancer.  I opted to have a robotic prostatectomy combined with a diverticulotomy.  Since then, I still leak quite a bit...some days are better than others.  I also feel that I'm retaining more than I should.  I continue to wear diapers...cloth at night, disposable during the day or a padden brief with diaper cover.  Since I have managed in this way before my surgery, I am comfortable and used to wearing a diaper.  I don't want to use a catheter...did once and gave myself a terrible infection.  I also don't want to be subjected to any other appliances, devices, etc.  Maybe I'm giving up, but I don't see any of these devices are any more discreet or comfortable than a diaper.  I have my 6 month check up in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure my urologist will suggest some of  these alternative approaches.  I'm hoping he will understand why I choose to manage as I am.  I really don't want any more invasions "done under".  I do, however, wonder about cancer returning.  I am having some pretty severe back pain.  Could that be connected with the prostatectomy?  I also have lumbar stenosis.  How do I know what is causeing the pain.  I'm probably missing some thing, but that is pretty much where I am.  Am I wrong to manage as I am?

Comments

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    edited September 2017 #2

Men at this forum have had reported success with an AMS 800 device. You may wish to explore this option that you as a 70 year old, who hopefully will enjoy many years in the future may explore

https://csn.cancer.org/node/311284

Having regular PSA's will indicate if there is prostate cancer recurrance.....You did not mention your PSA history after surgery.

I have spinal stenosis. A 3T MRI will indicate what is going in in your back..  Rcommend that you see a pain management doc to evaluate your situation.