Breakfast

Guess what I had for breakfast? I enjoyed sipping a "Breeza" on an empty stomach. With its splashy label featuring  strawberries, banana, pineapple, kiwi, even calling it a fruit flavored beverage, I always want it to taste like a fresh fruit smoothie.

And each time, I shudder with the first sip--the artificially flavored "fruit" and that terrible cloying sweet taste that coats my teeth. I have been so thirsty this afternoon. 

Yes, I had a CT scan this morning. I have an appointment with my hematologist next week and will try to put it out of my mind until then. I went to the scan alone, like a big girl, but my husband will be with me to get the results.

Cheers, 

Rocquie

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    Powdered Hawaiian punch and Wally's raspberry tea

I buy those in small boxes of 8 envelopes at Wally's Mart. Dissolve one into a 500ml water bottle and it is easy to hydrate. Real flavor, and the Splenda is not a bad artificial sweetener. Since the steroids I take have produced diabetes, these powdered sugar-free drinks are great. Carried in purse or pocket, all you need is a stantard water bottle and you're good to go. Hawaiian punch, in particular, now comes in something like 5 or 6 flavors. I do like the raspberry tea though - that's Wally's own brand. 

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    edited September 2017 #3
    po18guy said:

Powdered Hawaiian punch and Wally's raspberry tea

I buy those in small boxes of 8 envelopes at Wally's Mart. Dissolve one into a 500ml water bottle and it is easy to hydrate. Real flavor, and the Splenda is not a bad artificial sweetener. Since the steroids I take have produced diabetes, these powdered sugar-free drinks are great. Carried in purse or pocket, all you need is a stantard water bottle and you're good to go. Hawaiian punch, in particular, now comes in something like 5 or 6 flavors. I do like the raspberry tea though - that's Wally's own brand. 

Drinks

Po18guy, the drink I am joking about is iodinated contrast for CT scans, not a beverage for hydration. I guess my humor fell flat. Your clinic must use a different brand. . .

• dana-mihaela
    dana-mihaela Member Posts: 39
    Hi Rocquie

I will keep my fingers crossed for you to be good results. I understand that you are "waiting and watching"? Are you following any nutritional diet? 

Good luck,

Dana

• Evarista
    Evarista Member Posts: 336 Member
    Contrast beverage!

Ach, Rocquie, you've gone an reminded me that I have to drink contrast next week!  I had completely forgotten...My preferred barium drink is the Cappucino flavor.  But my isotope for the PET gets injected by a robot, which is way fun...

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Rocquie said:

Drinks

Po18guy, the drink I am joking about is iodinated contrast for CT scans, not a beverage for hydration. I guess my humor fell flat. Your clinic must use a different brand. . .

Never

Roc,

I don't drink anything that has pretty flowers on it (well, without a perscription !), but did have two Busch Lites afterward, and said a prayer for your results to be perfect.

max

• GSP2
    GSP2 Member Posts: 103 Member
    breeza, shmeeza

May you fa breeza through your scans !

• po18guy
    Rocquie said:

Drinks

My bad! I blame chemo-brain,

My bad! I blame chemo-brain, poor short-term memory, morning fog, pre-coffee blur, general unawareness and I forget the other reasons! As to the lovely concotions for contrast, I contrast them with that which is palatable! We used to get this "berry smoothie" that was neither. Even the name was hypnotic suggestion at the most. Grayish-white gellatenous glop. As I recall, it exited must faster than it entered - a real bonus! Frown Not. Lately, they have a solution that is basically water. Clear, thin - watery. No real taste, but an awful lot of clear thin watery liquid to down in a short time. Why can't it be mixed with dark roasted coffee, for goodness' sake!

Signed: needs more sleep, more coffee, or both. 

• po18guy
    Rocquie said:

Drinks

Whole lot of psychology just in that label!

What if one is color blind or simply blind? Then the visual aspect is a moot point and it is just what it is. Hey, does that fit the bottle cage on a bicycle? On seing it, any other cancer patients could not remain silent! Let's start a contrast solution exchange so that we then know better what each of us is going through! OK, maybe too much coffee this AM...

• po18guy
    One plus of transplant

If I had to guess, is that I no longer have scans. After 40+ CTs and probably a dozen PETs, I'm ready for a break. The last word is that after two years without treatment and no sign of either lymphoma, that I may be done with it. OK, reason to celebrate - but I think fighting it was easier than dealing with cGVHD from the transplant. I have exchanged contrast solution for daily prednisone. Fair trade???

Ah, but I have to be alive to have complaints.

• Rocquie

Never

Roc,

I don't drink anything that has pretty flowers on it (well, without a perscription !), but did have two Busch Lites afterward, and said a prayer for your results to be perfect.

max

Max

Thank you for your prayer. Now if they woud just make the contrast beer flavored. . .

• PBL
    PBL Member Posts: 366 Member
    Rocquie

I remember having had to down one of those yucky barium drinks about a quarter century ago... Don't think they even bothered to give it any particular flavor back then...

Congrats on being a big girl for that dread breakfast.

Fingers crossed till next week's news!

PBL

• Rocquie

Hi Rocquie

I will keep my fingers crossed for you to be good results. I understand that you are "waiting and watching"? Are you following any nutritional diet? 

Good luck,

Dana

Dana

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes I am watching and waiting after being told of a recurrance about a year and a half ago. I already went through 8 treatments of R-CHOP and 2 years of Rituxan Maintenance. I have always been a healthy eater. I don't eat much meat, love all vegetables and grains. We eat a mostly plant based diet. That didn't keep me from getting cancer, but I am otherwise in good health--my cholesterol is good, my weight is good, my sugar is good, my blood pressure is good. 

I don't take any medications. And I don't want to start unless I have too.

I will report back next week.

Thanks,

Rocquie

• Rocquie
    Evarista said:

Contrast beverage!

Ach, Rocquie, you've gone an reminded me that I have to drink contrast next week!  I had completely forgotten...My preferred barium drink is the Cappucino flavor.  But my isotope for the PET gets injected by a robot, which is way fun...

Evarista

Oops, sorry about the reminder. The cappuchino flavor sounds good! I haven't had a PET in a few years, but the tech who administered by IV contrast was a person. 

Good luck next week,

Rocquie

• Rocquie
    GSP2 said:

breeza, shmeeza

May you fa breeza through your scans !

GSP2

Thanks!

• Rocquie
    PBL said:

Rocquie

I remember having had to down one of those yucky barium drinks about a quarter century ago... Don't think they even bothered to give it any particular flavor back then...

Congrats on being a big girl for that dread breakfast.

Fingers crossed till next week's news!

PBL

PBL

Thank you and I will report back next week. . .

• Rocquie
    po18guy said:

One plus of transplant

If I had to guess, is that I no longer have scans. After 40+ CTs and probably a dozen PETs, I'm ready for a break. The last word is that after two years without treatment and no sign of either lymphoma, that I may be done with it. OK, reason to celebrate - but I think fighting it was easier than dealing with cGVHD from the transplant. I have exchanged contrast solution for daily prednisone. Fair trade???

Ah, but I have to be alive to have complaints.

po18guy

I'm glad you don't have to have scans any more, but I would rather force that awful drink once or twice a year than take daily prednisone. I have had plenty of it, it is very effective, and I am thankful for it, but those side effects can be tough. 

Best,

Rocquie

• Sandy Ray
    Sandy Ray Member Posts: 143 Member
    Praying

Praying your scan goes well. 

• po18guy
    edited September 2017 #19
    Rocquie said:

po18guy

I'm glad you don't have to have scans any more, but I would rather force that awful drink once or twice a year than take daily prednisone. I have had plenty of it, it is very effective, and I am thankful for it, but those side effects can be tough. 

Best,

Rocquie

In my prayers

'Scanticipation' of a clean scan!

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    edited September 2017 #20
    contrast

Any time I have to drink that contrast I take the vanilla flavor. Doesn't make it taste better but it does lower my expectations of what it will taste like. 

• OO7
    OO7 Member Posts: 281
    edited September 2017 #21
    Hope it was chilled!

For me I need to drink it cold, I just down it like no tomorrow while never allowing to get warmer than when given to me.  

Best of luck and prayers for a good scan.

I had my Onc appointment  last week.  He said wonderful words like stable, and I'll see you in six months and if all still goes well and  perhaps longer in between the following visit :-)

I can't even imagine....