Strides for Prostate Cancer?

Folks:

I just saw an event announcement for American Cancer Society Stride for Breast Cancer here in Bellingham, Washington.

Do any of you know if this is inclusive for prostate cancer as well?

If not, is there another ACS event equivalent for Prostate Cancer?

I also notice there are events called Race for The Cure for breast cancer. Do those events include Prostate Cancer? Or is there a different Race for the Cure for Prostate Cancer?

Thank you

Mark Allyn

Bellingham, Washington

Comments

• SPT
    SPT Member Posts: 40
    not that I know of

Women are much, much better at organizing, activisim, and speaking out.  Breast cancer gets about 7 times the research funding as prostate cancer even though the incidence and mortality of breast cancer are roughly the same as prostate cancer.

I suspect you would be welcome at such an event.  I've learned a lot from breast cancer patients on this journey.

• maallyn
    maallyn Member Posts: 13
    SPT said:

not that I know of

Women are much, much better at organizing, activisim, and speaking out.  Breast cancer gets about 7 times the research funding as prostate cancer even though the incidence and mortality of breast cancer are roughly the same as prostate cancer.

I suspect you would be welcome at such an event.  I've learned a lot from breast cancer patients on this journey.

Has There Been Any Attempt On The Part of Us Men To Organize

If not, then why?

Is it because we cannot organize something using this forum because of forum policies? I don't know the AUP (accemptable use policy) here, but I would find it hard to belive that the American Cancer Society would object us from using their forum to organize an even for prostate cancer.

As it seems that ACS is one of the organizers for Stride as well as Race For the Cure, why would they object us organizing something for Prostate Cancer here on the forum?

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    prostate cancer awareness

September is prostate cancer awareness month. There are various activities done during this month to bring awareness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Prostate_Health_Month

Movember

During November, there is emphasis on men's health issues to include prostate cancer...many of us grow mustaches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Prostate_Health_Month

• SPT
    SPT Member Posts: 40
    maallyn said:

Has There Been Any Attempt On The Part of Us Men To Organize

If not, then why?

Is it because we cannot organize something using this forum because of forum policies? I don't know the AUP (accemptable use policy) here, but I would find it hard to belive that the American Cancer Society would object us from using their forum to organize an even for prostate cancer.

As it seems that ACS is one of the organizers for Stride as well as Race For the Cure, why would they object us organizing something for Prostate Cancer here on the forum?

Certainly there are attempts

You might be surprised at what the ACS would object to, but that is beside the point.

Men with PCa have certainly orgainized.  There are literally hundreds, probably thousands of support groups, research organizations, advocy groups.

Women with breast cancer have just done it better, particularly the part where they write their congressment and senators and get research money steered to breast cancer.  Bake sales are great but the big bucks tend to flow from federal coffers.