Not a survivor (yet) but seeking advice

13»

Comments

• hewhositsoncushions
    hewhositsoncushions Member Posts: 411 Member
    Went in for second biopsy and

Went in for second biopsy and asked about detailed breakdown of ASAP results by core and was shown that they only record left and right and not coer by core so information was a but vague. When I had the second biopsy itself the (lovely and helpful) nurse showed them to me. Two pots full of small white threads with a red end - no way of telling them apart. Hey ho. Will get more when I see them for results next week.

Biopsy itself was worse than the first on which had little discomfort and virtually no side effects. I bled like a stuck pig on the way out and had to go back for an afternoon of obs. Slight tachy and BP up and down but eventually stabilised. Day after was just as ropey so taking it REALLY easy. I suspect this was a shock / stress reaction rather than an actual acute critical event but it was so not nice.

Reviewed what I did during that time and realised:

A) Probably not enough carbs in my diet during this / not eating regularly enough (blood sugar low)

B) Being too energetic after two biopsies is a bloody stupid idea

C) My hind brain is a lot more stressed than it is letting on to my fore brain. Logically I feel that there is nothing to worry about re. the situation and side effects but that little lizard at the back of the head isn't having anhy of it.

So I am going to rest, be kind to myself and take it far steadier than I was.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    Take a rest and wait

That is a good idea. Take a rest and wait. The results will unlock the mystery.

Regarding the biopsy report, I think that the nurse told you what is writen in the urologist's request. Typically it says; A, B, C Right and E, F, G left. But the pathologist report will detail what was received at the laboratory (the number and length of each sample/core), and what was found in each core. These information is in the hands of your urologist (filed) or recorded in the computer's files of each patient.

I wouldn't bother with the results of the initial Biopsy (negative) but I would want to know the details of the second one. Surely this will be testing different areas of the prostate.

Best

VG

• hewhositsoncushions
    hewhositsoncushions Member Posts: 411 Member
    Hi

Hi

Yes - rest, plenty of fluids, good food and a little liquid cheer - that is my prescription.

I have the review middle of next week.

Cross fingers...

• sleepless in california
    sleepless in california Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017 #45

T Levels

H-W-S-O-C

I'm not sure about your concern with your Testosterone levels.  The lower the testosterone levels the slower prostate cancer grows / spreads. Do I understand that your level is in the 9 - 12 range?  If so that's where they want your testosterone levels after treatment to stop the spread of any cancer left after treatment.

When Diagnosed, I had no symptoms of Prostate Cancer.  It was found by accident when I had an internal bleed.  My PSA was 69, and my Gleason score was 3+4=7. I had Robotic Surgery in December of 2013. One lymph node was involved and 40% involvment of the prostate.  I was diagnosed as a Stage pT3bN1.  I was treated as if I were a Stage 4.   I was treatred with Lupron and Radiation (8 Weeks) as clean up.  I was on the Lupron for two years.  They had my Testosterone level at 11, which is where it had to be to stop any spread of cancer cells left after the surgery and radiation.  Right now, My testosterone level is back up to 380, which is still concidered low. Normal is something like 250 - 1,100.   My PSA was at <0.010, and has now come up a little to 0.145.  If my PSA continues to rise then I will have to go back on Lupron, full time or intermitent,  for as long as that works to keep my testosterone low to stop the redevelopment of any cancer. 

So, If I understand what you are saying, having your "T" Levels at 9 - 12 should work in your favor.                                                                                    I'm not a doctor and can only tell you what I have learned over the past 3 years as I've been fighting this battle.

Good luck, get many opinions and study and learn all you can, so you can make the decisions that you think are right for you.

Love, Peace and God Bless,

Will                                                                                                                                                                                     

Your PC stage

Will, how long ago was your diagnosis and surgery?   What does your urologist tell you in terms of life expectancy?   Especially with lymph involvement.   My husband looks like he will be much like you, although he hasn't had surgery yet.   His stage so far: T1C (doesn't mean much I know).   Gleason 4+3 = 7, PSA 19.   He's between intermediate and advanced and his doctor is giving him a 10% chance that his cancer is stage IV.  The stats look so bad.  

How are you responding to the hormone treatment?   Remember, the cells that kill you don't respond to Lupron nor do they produce PSA levels.  Have you read Walsh's book?

• Experience Robotic Prostate surgeon at KaiserSouthern California

Anyone knows of any good Experienced Robotic Prostate surgeon at Kaiser Southern California ? Or how to check for one from Kaiser list ? Does Kaiser let us check the back ground and credentials of their surgeons ?

Thank You so much for any comment

Kaiser in Downey Ca.

Kim, my husband and I belong to Kaiser and Joe will be undergoing surgery there soon.   We were assigned Dr. Choy, who is supposed to be quite good with robotic surgery.   We'll see him tomorrow.  There's little choice here, and I'll ask him about his years of experience.   Joe's cancer is intermediate to advanced so this will be critical for him.

Are you in Lake Forest?   We're in Laguna Woods.

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    edited September 2017 #47

Kaiser in Downey Ca.

Kim, my husband and I belong to Kaiser and Joe will be undergoing surgery there soon.   We were assigned Dr. Choy, who is supposed to be quite good with robotic surgery.   We'll see him tomorrow.  There's little choice here, and I'll ask him about his years of experience.   Joe's cancer is intermediate to advanced so this will be critical for him.

Are you in Lake Forest?   We're in Laguna Woods.

sleepless

I also live in Southern CA. There is a local support group that i highly recommend that meets at First Presbyterian Church, 838 North Euclid Street, Fullerton, CA 92832.

The name of the group is Prostate Forum of Orange County. 

The next meeting is September 28. There will be a speaker at 7 PM, however, come at 5 PM since there is a orientation group for newly diagnosed.  

http://prostateforum.org/

This is a great forum which i attend from time to time, where you and your husband can receive information about local resources. I might be there as well.

suggest that you post to start a new thread with all pertinent information about your husbands case, so you can receive input that is directed to your husband, and not disturb this current thread that is directed to the benifit of   the original poster